Unwanted Flashes Appearing Between Events

meivocis
Org Profile

Unwanted Flashes Appearing Between Events

Post by meivocis » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Since I started editing on my new PC I've noticed I'm getting unwanted flashes between some events. It looks almost as if the previous event is overlapping for an extra frame and the problem is visible in both the preview and final render. All events in the timeline are flush with no overlap and they're cut precisely. I never had a problem like this on my old system and it's really starting to take the fun out of vidding.

System Specs

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 3.20GHz
RAM: 16GB
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
Editing Software: Sony Vegas Pro 9.0e 64bit

Prep

Rip BluRay with MKV Maker
Make script using AvsPmod (ffvideosource)
Crop using VirtualDub
Compress to AVI using UT Video Codec

To try and narrow down the problem I've tried a multitude of different containers and codecs, editing the footage in Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas 32bit, DVD footage and an iTunes download but they all produced the same results. Oddly enough they produced exactly the same results, the flashes happen between the exact same events no matter what program/container/codec/footage I use. I even imported the entire episode AVI into Vegas and cropped it within the program just so I could confirm the problem didn't lay within VirtualDub.

If the problem isn't caused by the footage I'm using or the editing program it leads me to believe I have a problem within my system somewhere but I'm baffled as to where to start.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than grateful to hear them.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: Unwanted Flashes Appearing Between Events

Post by Pwolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 pm

can you render a small example for us to see?

meivocis
Org Profile

Post by meivocis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:53 am

I've got one of my most recent and problematic vids up here, you can access it with the password dixon. I've not published it yet as I was hoping to re-edit it if/when I manage to solve the problem. Hope it's okay that the source isn't Anime? I couldn't see anything in the posting rules regarding it but if I am breaking forum rules please let me know and I'll delete this post. Also I should warn that the vid contains spoilers for S2 of The Walking Dead plus scenes of gore and violence.

The final result looks like I've been completely sloppy with my editing but 90% of the clips I used have been trimmed either side and none have overlapped on the timeline. Frame by frame analysis in Vegas and VirtualDub shows no signs of overlap or messy clipping either. I also forgot to mention in my original post that my project settings are exactly the same as the footage used and that I've not changed the fps.

Thank you for taking the time to have a look, really appreciate it. :)

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:01 am

I didn't see anything resembling the issue you described earlier...

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:04 am

This problem doesn't happen with any other videos you watch on your computer?

meivocis
Org Profile

Post by meivocis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 am

Sorry! Linked to the wrong one, it's more visible in this the BluRay footage version. It's almost as if the previous scene has bled slightly into the current clip causing a slight flash as it jumps between the two. I admit it isn't easy to spot in some instances but now I know it's there I can't unsee it. It's more visible when the vid jumps from a light to a dark scene and it first occurs between the second and third clip. At first I thought it might be a graphics card or other hardware issue but it looks the same via my smart tv and work PC too. :(

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:23 am

The first scene would be the one with the zed dead on the cobblestone wall thing and then cuts to the scene with Darryl laying down?

meivocis
Org Profile

Post by meivocis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:26 am

There''s a quick one between Daryl riding his Hog and the shot of all three vehicles but the first most pronounced flash is indeed between the cobblestone wall and Daryl lying down.
Pwolf wrote:This problem doesn't happen with any other videos you watch on your computer?
Sadly no, I wish it did so at least then I'd have an idea of what was going on.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 am

Well, frame by frame, there is nothing visual wrong with those cuts: http://www.pwolfamv.com/other/SeaLionFramebyFrame.mp4

It's either your monitors/tv's refresh rate or your brain is seeing an optical illusion.

meivocis
Org Profile

Post by meivocis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Ha! You've just confirmed what I was starting to believe. Thanks for taking the time to put my mind at rest... although I do feel a tad silly. :oops:

Return to “Video & Audio Help”