New To A-M-V.org FAQ

Everything you need to know before posting
Radical_Yue
Org Profile

New To A-M-V.org FAQ

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 pm

This is something I felt may help out. As of late I've been talking with a lot of people who are either new the community or have heard about the Org but aren't sure if they actually want to join. I felt this may help break up some common misconceptions and it should be a bit easier to refer to in the event that someone asks me a question. So basically, this is the lazy way to show that we're not face eating monsters who feed off the souls of youtube editors. I like eating knees! Faces are too chewy.

But yeah, I've tried to keep this as short and sweet as possible. This was compiled by asking some other people to throw their 2 cents in also. I gathered both new and old members and asked them for their advice and this is what we came up with. If you've got anything to add or think should be changed please let me know by postin' :D

Covered Topics
---------------------
The Community
The Forum
My AMVs
About Editing
Contests

---------------------

The Community

Q: I've heard rumors that members from AnimeMusicVideos.org attacked X Group. While it wasn't a site attack, it was still quite a few people who claimed to represent your site.
A: While we obviously can't vouch for every single member on the org, as far as we're concerned no known attacks on certain communities or fandoms have ever been made. This is a forum for conversations and good times, not an internet war room.

Q: But I've heard the org is full of nothing but drama!
A: Any time you gather a large group of people together you're going to find that they have different opinions, it's a fact of life. While we are known for having some pretty in-depth discussions, I believe the word "drama" is thrown around a bit too much. Just because one person believes the opposite of what you do doesn't mean they're out to cause drama, it just means they believe something different. Simple as that. :D

Q: But what about Youtube editors? I heard that people on the Org HATE people from youtube!
A: This is actually a really major common misconception. When youtube first popped up, a lot of the frequent users on the org were worried about the effect it may have on our hobby. So at first some people were kind of against it but these days that attitude has totally changed. Occasionally Org and Youtube members bump heads because of different beliefs when it comes to AMVs, but no one ever says "That person is popular on youtube! I automatically hate him/her!"

Q: So why do Youtube editors and Org editors bump heads?
A: The primary reason behind that is because of how each community views criticism. When leaving a negative comment on a youtube video, most are accustomed to receiving quite a bit of backlash from other commenters or sometimes even the editor. Where as the majority of editors on the Org actually like to get both negative and positive feedback. On the org we like to go beyond like or dislike and try to share our opinions with the editor so they can continue to improve and have fun. No one says anything negative about a video with malicious intent, they're just trying to help the way that others have helped them. We take flaming very seriously but there is a difference between feedback "Your audio sounded staticy." and flaming "you suck. lol i hope you die."
This of course isn't to say that the only people on youtube are those that can't take criticism, there are plenty of people that can. This has just been the primary problem and difference we've seen between youtube and Org editors.

Q: So the majority of the users aren't a bunch of jerks?
A: Nope! While there will always be a bad apple or troll here or there, that happens wherever you go. The majority of people who frequent the Org are those that share common interests and are just looking to chat with other people who feel the same way. Real life has enough jerks and drama, why bring that into a hobby we enjoy?

Q: Ok, but it seems like a bunch of people have their own in-jokes? Or am I missing something?
A: Yeah, I can't deny there are a decent amount of in-jokes. A lot of the members who frequent the forums in particular are friends both online and off. A lot of us have been on this website for many years, leading to some in-jokes developing. If you're curious about what we're talking about, feel free to ask. As previously stated, the majority of members are quite nice and we honestly hope you don't let a bad experience ruin what could be a lot of fun!

Q: I want to get involved in the community! How do I get into the discussions?
A: Like any other community, you’ll find that sometimes it takes a bit of effort to understand what’s going on, and to get people to pay attention to you. But remember that most people pay attention to each other not based on how great they are or the number of posts they make, but based on their willingness to participate in events and activities, be helpful, and play along with others. “Attention whoring” is a quick way to get people annoyed at you - don’t do it. Instead, pay attention to what’s going on, be interested in others work, and offer your own attention and helpful feedback, and you will quickly win the respect (and thus attention) of others.

Q: Are ONLY AMV related discussions allowed?
A: Nope. We also have areas where you can talk about anime, music, and editing programs. In addition to those, we have the General Discussion area where you can talk about anything you want. People go there to vent about their day, share their amazing cooking, non-anime music videos, and a lot more.

Q: English isn't my first language and I'm not that great at it. Is it still ok if I post?
A: Of course! Editors who don't speak English as their first language are actually a rather large part of the community. Just about everyone is very understanding and welcoming. So if you're having a hard time with the translation or are confused by a post, feel free to ask. There are plenty of bilingual users that can help with translating.

Q: Is there a way to subscribe to people like you can on youtube?
A: In a sense, yes. Go to the profile of the person you want to "subscribe" to and at the top of their profile you should see "Add user to My Alerts" and then you can select the options you want. You can set it up so you get notifications on the bottom of your Members Main Page whenever they upload a video, make a journal entry, etc...Then you can manage your Alerts by going here. There is no way for you to view how many people have you on their alerts list. We look at "subscribers" as a way to keep up with your favorite editors, not as a way to show off how popular you are.

Q: These people are AWESOME! I want to chat with them more outside of just the forum! Is there any kind of group chat out there?
A: First off, hell yes they're awesome and secondly yes we do have some little chat groups!
The first being the official Org chat #AMV, an IRC channel. Click this link and select a nickname to join!
There is also an unofficial user created skype chat that you can join by clicking here!

The Forum

Q: I've never really used a forum before, do you have any advice?
A: Lurking first is always a good idea. It helps to know what you're jumping into before you post so just hang back for a bit and then get into the fun. You also want to double check the Site & Forum Rules. It's a good idea to read over them at least once to avoid any major problems. But just act natural and you should be fine.

Q: I made a post but it isn't showing up yet. Is it broken? Should I try it again?
A: As a preventative measure against spam-bots all first posts must be approved by someone from the administration. Just give it a little bit and if it's still not showing up after 24 hours then please contact someone from the administration for assistance. By attempting the same post multiple times that just makes more work for the administration to clear out.

Q: I want to create a topic but I'm not sure where to put it.
A: If you've lurked a bit and you're still unsure where to place a topic then you can either (1) follow your instincts and place it where you think it should go or (2) contact someone from the administration for advice. If you end up starting a topic in the wrong area it's incredibly easy to have it moved. There are plenty of moderators and Admins that are happy to help. I'm (the person who made this post) actually a mod myself, feel free to hit me up any time you need some assistance!

My AMVs

Q: My videos aren't very good and I've heard AnimeMusicVideos.org is only for elitist editors. Can I still share them?
A: Of course you can still share them! While there are a lot of really good editors on the Org, editors of all skill levels are welcome. No matter who you are there is always room for improvement and most of the editors here are ready and willing to help you do so. Everyone has to start somewhere so post away and don't be upset if everyone doesn't absolutely love your video. Just keep trying and do your best.

Q: I didn't edit the full song, so the video is pretty short, is it still ok to post?
A: If you feel the video has been completed, even if you cut the song short, then you can still post it. A couple years ago in our awards contest known as the Viewers Choice Awards, VCAs for short, we actually had a "Best Short Video" award.
Now, there is a difference between a finished video and a beta. There are finished videos out there that are as short as 5 or even 10 seconds. For example Kitsuner's "Kanon in 5 Seconds"
A beta is a video where it's still considered unfinished. Betas usually have holes in there with no editing or are just part of a lyric you were experimenting with. Betas are not something that should be uploaded to the Org.

Q: I'm unsure on where to post my video. Where should it go?
A: There are actually a couple different places it can go....
The AMV Announcement Section: If it's a finished video that is still rather new then this is a good place to try and grab some attention. I've actually got a little video tutorial you can watch to walk you through the process if you'd like. AMV Announcement are a really good place to start out, then there is also....
The Opinion Exchange: The opinion exchange is a good place to go after you've announced your video or if it's an older video you want feedback on. A lot of people do 1:1 opinion exchanges where you leave an opinion on their video and they leave one on yours. Occasionally you can actually find people giving out free opinions where you simply have to post a link to your video. The opinion exchange is also a great place to bring betas. There isn't always a guarantee that someone will respond but it never hurts to try.
General Discussion: We actually have a lot of people who make non-anime videos. Fan videos of shows like Avatar or live action videos using movies or tv-shows are welcome. While they can not be uploaded to the org since we are an anime only site, you can still announce your video in the general discussion section with a link to download or youtube.

Q: I posted my video in the Announcement section with a youtube link but I'm not getting any responses. What can I do to get noticed better?
A: If you're announcing your video on the forum you definitely want to include the ability to download it from the org. If you only provide a youtube link then a lot of people will be incredibly hesitant to check your AMV out. One of the main reasons behind this is, it's difficult to judge quality (visual, audio, effects, etc...) by watching a low quality stream on Youtube. Even if the video is 720p HD, there is still some major compression going on there that hurts your overall video. So if you upload your video to the org and announce it on the forum (link to a guide by clicking here!) then you're waaaay more likely to get responses than by just throwing a youtube link on there.

Q: So, how do I upload my video anyways?
A: Our upload system is still a bit old fashioned, we use FTP. While we do currently have a redesign that is being worked on, until then it's still a bit difficult for people who aren't used to it. For an easy walkthrough, here is a video tutorial you can follow. If you still have questions or problems you can make a post in the Site Help and someone should give you a hand.

Q: On my video info page it says "Preview", what exactly is that?
A: Well, the Org used to be a website where you could only download copies of the video. Then when youtube came around and streaming became all the rage, we figured a stream option would be a good idea too. Now because of the fact that one of the primary features that the org has is the ability to download a high quality copy, a stream is supposed be thought of as simply a taste of the video. A low quality preview that you can watch before you decided whether or not you want to download a high quality copy. It's the full video but there are no quality options such as 480p, 720p, etc...like youtube. Our goal is focused on downloading while youtube is focused on streaming only. So while we do offer the streaming option, it probably will not be expanded upon anywhere in the near future.
Now you do have the ability to disable streaming on your videos if you only want people to download them. You can change this option under the "Edit Your Profile" section. If an editor has chosen to disable the preview option, sadly you can only download their videos and not stream them. The preview option generally appears on a video within a few hours after upload to the local server has been completed. Keep in mind a video will only have the streaming option if it has been uploaded to the local server and the option is NOT disabled.

Q: Should I make backup accounts in case my videos get taken down?
A: While youtube does have it's random copyright sweeps that result in a lot of accounts being closed and AMVs taken down, we don't actually do that here at the Org. Unless there is a serious threat, such as one we faced back in 2005 with Windup Records we leave all videos up so long as they don't break the rules. If any serious threat like the one from 2005 does arise, a site-wide announcement will be made and information will follow. So far we've only had that one issue so fingers crossed it stays that way!

About Editing

Q: If I don't make AMVs, is it ok for me to use the site?
A: Of course you can. Even if you don't make AMVs you can still get in on the conversation. We're all AMV fans here so it's always great to find more of our own kind. :P

Q: I need some advice on the video I'm currently working on. Where do I go? Who do I ask?
A: If you've already tried the opinion exchange and either didn't get any hits or want some more advice you can always try asking other editors. Most people who frequent the forums are fine with being asked to beta test and some even welcome it. Just remember to be courteous when asking/receiving beta feedback. If you're rude to your beta testers and get mad at them because you don't agree with their advice then chances are you won't have too many volunteers. Even if you disagree with them there is no reason for flaming. Thank them for their advice and move on.

Q: I've heard that the only good videos are videos that use tons of effects. Is this true?
A: Ha, No. Videos come in all shapes and sizes. Just because an AMV has effects that doesn't automatically make it better than something that is just hardcuts. Effects that are just thrown on the video without any rhyme or reason are typically looked down upon. Whether you're putting After Effects to work or just keeping it simple, try and put time and thought into your video. Don't just edit what you think will make you popular. Have fun and make what you want!

Q: Someone said my editing could use work but I said I only wanted positive comments. Is this flaming?
A: If you put your video in a public place then you are risking the chance of getting both negative and positive comments, even if you only want positive. Try to remain calm, say "Thanks for watching" and move on.
If you honestly believe you have been the victim of flaming after receiving comments such as "You suck.", "Your video is terrible and you should die.", or "This is the worst piece of s*** I've ever seen." then please contact someone from the administration for assistance.

Contests

Q: Can I enter a contest even I'm not going to be able to attend? How many videos can I send? Etc...
A: To put it simply, read the rules. Each contest has it's own set of rules with awesome coordinators who are there to help you understand them. If you want to help support a convention's AMV contest but aren't sure about how to do it, simple try reading the rules and if you still have questions just ask.

Q: I didn't make it into the contest, does this mean my AMV is bad?
A: Contests winners are measured based on the demographic of those who judged the contest (Contest coordinators, judging staff, and audience). This basically means that just because you didn’t make it into the contest, or didn’t win an award, you shouldn’t be discouraged - it doesn’t mean that you are terrible. It means that those who judged the contest, from finalists selection to final judging, didn’t enjoy the video enough to select it. Different contests have different demographics and while your video might not be received well in one contest, it might do really well in another.

Q: Are the videos that win contests that absolute best around?
A: Contest awards aren’t necessarily a measurement of overall greatness (as mentioned earlier). The real success of a video depends on the goals you’ve set for it - and only you, personally, can set those goals. Be realistic about your goals and you won’t be disappointed - and sometimes, you just can’t please everyone. Losing a contest does not mean that your video wasn’t a success!

Q: I keep seeing the term "contest troll" being thrown around, what does that mean?
A: A contest troll is generally someone who sends a video that has already either been shown at a decent amount of contest (or even won) to even more contests. This is generally discouraged by the editing community because it makes every contest the same, with the same finalists, winners, etc... In addition to that a known winning video that has already earned several awards can ruin the chance of hopefuls that have made special videos just for that contest. Most editors have their own "rule" about sending their entries to contests. Such as a single video may only be sent to 3 conventions and then it's retired. You don't necessarily have to follow that rule exactly, but it's good to have one in place.
A contest troll can also be someone who sends a video, that is rather old, to a contest just for the purpose of winning. Most contests have freshness rules in place to prevent this but the few that don't see a decent amount of this.
It's a great thing to support AMV contests and conventions but please remember to show respect to your fellow editors/entrants and the audience.

That's what I've got so far, anything to add?

Ps. Megathanks to Pwolf, Otohiko, and irriadin :3

Replay Studios
A Studio Within A Studio
Org Profile

Re: New To A-M-V.org FAQ

Post by Replay Studios » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:38 pm

this is pretty great ^^

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Q: So the majority of the users aren't a bunch of jerks?
A: Nope! While there will always be a bad apple or troll here or there, that happens wherever you go. The majority of people who frequent the Org are those that share common interests and are just looking to chat with other people who feel the same way. Real life has enough jerks and drama, why bring that into a hobby we enjoy?
Actually, by the numbers, most of our "users" are bots and forgotten accounts.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Real life has enough jerks and drama, why bring that into a hobby we enjoy?
I know right? :uhoh:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

trythil
is
Org Profile

Encyclopedia Pedantica

Post by trythil » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:Q: So the majority of the users aren't a bunch of jerks?
Actually, by the numbers, most of our "users" are bots and forgotten accounts.
Bots and forgotten accounts don't frequent the org.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:46 pm

This is excellent. A good addition to our group of guides and FAQs.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks Kio.

I've sent it to a couple new members and have gotten pretty positive responses so far. I've also added a couple more Q&A's since I first posted it.

If anyone else has feedback or a good common question they see pop up please let me know and I'll add it.

TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld
Org Profile

Post by TritioAFB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:46 pm

If I put myself into the place of a newbie, this is actually useful. Wished I could get this when I first entered :o
Specialist in Geriatric Medicine

guthix
Org Profile

Post by guthix » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:48 pm

this is getting painfull to read, i dont know whats worse , the bullshitness of vulpes or the saint wall of boredom from haar
you guys realize its just editing someone elses work? your not realy doing much even if you do spend time ad effort on it.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:12 am

Why isn't this a stickied/pinned yet? Very useful.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “Rules & FAQs”