The Happy Thread

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

The Happy Thread

Post by ngsilver » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 am

So my manger called me into his office yesterday to let me know of a job opening in an engineer position in our company. I am already working with him and our network team to transition into an engineering role in our department for network issues (we have engineers in our helpdesk that help handle issues first before they goto our engineering teams) but the transition period is a long one. This new position will put me in as an actual engineer in an engineer team right away and the transition will be quick as the team needs someone now.

I'm honored my manager thought of me and is recommending me for it and pushing me towards this job. As the philosophy in our department in this company is to breed engineers with good customer service skills. It would be a significant pay raise, and I mean significantly more then I make now.

This is all well and good, but my issue is, and why I'm hung on the idea right now, is that this engineering job is for an entirely different team then I was aiming to goto. Basically, I'm moving toward networking and that's been what I want to do, network administration. But this job will be for Hyperion work. I know next to nothing about Hyperion beyond what little I'm required to know in order to route Hyperion requests properly at the tier 1 level. I've been told they aren't looking for someone who knows Hyperion as they can teach it, but need someone who is good at troubleshooting and thinking on their feet, which I know I'm good at.

So while I'm happy that the opportunity is here, I'm not sure if I should take it. I don't like making decisions based on money alone, and considering this position will be for doing something I never expect or planned to do I don't know if I will enjoy the job. I've always had a mantra of doing what you love to make money so you can enjoy life... I need to make a decision though or I'll be passed up....

This is probably more of a rant/vent...
ImageImageImageImage

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Re: The Happy Thread

Post by ZephyrStar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 am

So, despite my generally hanging around a lot of geeky nerdy people, I don't really have anyone I can identify with or who identifies with me (I don't believe so anyway) as a 3D CG pro. I mean, yes, I have my college pals, a lot of whom moved out to the West coast and are working in the games/film industry, but I do not really talk to them on a regular basis, and everyone else I know who does 3D work only dabbles in it, or teaches it, or likes it as a hobby.

I was super excited to learn that my city has a local chapter of AAUGA, (Autodesk Animation User Group Association), which holds meetings every couple of months. I went to the meeting last night (December 3rd, also known as 3December), and ended up talking to some folks who are on the same wavelength. I was also excited to discover that there is a local company in my city that does fairly high end boutique 3D work, animation, video, and who seek out freelancers with skills on a regular basis for contract work. I spoke a lot with the owners of the company, a husband and wife team, who were really laid back and awesome.

I also met a girl who had worked for Digital Domain in Florida, right before their department got cut. She actually knew one of the people I went to college with, and had worked with him at Rythm & Hues on a couple of movies. Small freaking world.

I'm just really glad to finally know some people, local people, that kinda get me when I start talking about this stuff on a fairly technical level. They also were impressed that I was working on my own film, though I did get called insane by a couple of different people. Yup.

:bear:

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:33 am

:up:

Always nice to have local people to talk to and throw ideas around. Never the same doing it over the internet IMO. Don't get that same connection.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Getting to know good people in your profession is always a plus! :up:

It's still more than a month till I start working my new job (at a department I worked for a couple of years ago), and my god, I already <3 it so much. I may eat my words when all the student papers and presentations are coming in, but at least as far as the people I'm working with, I seriously love 'em. Had my first meeting today and was reminded of why they're so awesome. In the sense that we really see eye-to-eye on what teaching at a university means, and everybody's got their shit together and are really engaged and supportive. Can't wait until it's officially my job, and fingers crossed that it's indeed gonna be a "next few years" thing for me.

Also, on the NaNoWriMo-type-stuff front, I'm about to have concrete (prelim work that is actually readable) stuff to show certain people who might be interested and I'm super-excited about getting to work on my novel properly.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Since we're talking about professions...

I start my new job on the 17th. From just talking to them the last few days, I feel like it's going to be a whole new world that I'm going to love being in. I have proper support lines, I have CLEAR cut definitions of what my job entails, I have a list of expectations I'm to fill before the end of the workday, and I'm going to be working directly underneath one of the partners and be in charge of the tax division's workload and reporting. A subject that I love working with, and one which involves travel several times a month out of state for certain corporate clientele. <3

In other words, I'm moving into a good place. :)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Got all my new office furniture built thanks to some awesome friends.
Figured out a problem at work that I had been struggling with for over 2 weeks.
Just found out my Extraball parody broke 3K views (no idea if that number is good or not).
Going to be getting a couple of my doors replaced at home - making my home office no longer a walk-in fridge in the winter.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Just found out my Extraball parody broke 3K views (no idea if that number is good or not
I bet most of those were from Shin watching it.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Ileia wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Just found out my Extraball parody broke 3K views (no idea if that number is good or not
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
ImageImage

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Ileia wrote:
You forgot the "and fapping vigorously" part.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm

And crying.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Return to “General Discussion”