AMV Database API?

wighty
Org Profile

AMV Database API?

Post by wighty » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:23 pm

I use Plex Media Server to watch videos on my televisions. The cool thing about Plex is it allows you to store metadata about your video files and then organize your collection based on that data.

To gather data about a file, Plex uses a metadata agent that searches an online resource for words in the filename. For TV Shows, it searches thetvdb.com; for movies, freebase.org. I would like to build a metadata agent for my Anime Music Videos using data from animemusicvideos.org. To do so, it would be very helpful if there were a RESTful API.

Does any kind of API already exist? Is it accessible to the public? Could one be added? Is there another site that would be more appropriate for this than the org? I'm happy to do the work on the Plex side of the equation, but I can't do much until the data is accessible to the public (individual Plex users will execute the metadata agent, so requests will come from individuals, not a central server).

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: AMV Database API?

Post by Pwolf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 am

There is no api

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 am

I should add to this:

There currently is no API. One of the thigns we will be doing with the redeisgn and create an API. This is something I really want to see as the developer of the iOS and Android app.

togi
Org Profile

Post by togi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:34 am

If there is no api currently, what do the ios/android apps currently do? Non-public dB access? Or some for of httpwebrequest and response parsing?

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:44 am

lots of parsing.

togi
Org Profile

Post by togi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:19 pm

Ah, fun. Any plans on making a Win8 and/or WinPhone apps? If not, I'd be willing to solo or collaborate.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Yes but only when I can afford to purchase a dev device. Or if someone donates one.

togi
Org Profile

Post by togi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Both win phone and windows 8 sdks have simulators, so a physical device should not be needed. Let me know if you need help fundraising for the dev licenses (coding too).

I'm probably going to be pretty board these next couple of weeks, so will be probably prototype out a windows 8 (desktop/tablet) store app for fun.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 pm

True but my experience with both the android and iOS emulators have proven that emulation is no substitute for the real thing (Android emulator was slow and iOS emulator didn't generate errors when real hardware did). My personal preference is to have a physical device for testing and not rely on emulation.

That said, licensing isn't really an issue. If I had a device, I would pay for the license myself, at least for the first year. If all goes well in the next few weeks, I should be able to afford to purchase a dev device early next year.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”