What are your computer specs?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: What are your computer specs?

Post by ngsilver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:08 am

I find it best to install the OS with other drives unplugged more then just as a percussion in case of formatting data, but also due to the drive numbering possibly being different then what you expect. I've had it before installing Win7 that while the OS was installed to the SSD, a partial partition was created on another drive (was a blank drive to start with) that was used as the system swap partition or whatever windows creates. The annoyance here is, not being able to use all of the other drive for data, and if I remove or re-format that other drive the system will no longer boot without first having the windows install disk in the drive to 'fix' the boot.
ImageImageImageImage

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:06 am

One thing to note about the Intel processors too, the ones with the "K" designation are basically designed for overclocking, and the ones without the K designation have a little headroom, but are not really meant for OC. You can save a few bucks by getting the chip without the K or S.

An SSD is a great investment!

I agree with pwolf about the green drive, WD black are nice. I have 4 of them in my workstation.

The only thing I might suggest you get more of is ram, because it's pretty cheap nowadays.

The video card might be just a tad overkill. There are plenty of slightly older, cheaper cards out there that will do the job and then some, and cost you $100 less.

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 pm

ngsilver wrote:I find it best to install the OS with other drives unplugged more then just as a percussion in case of formatting data
I don't recommend using your hard drives as a drum set.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Kitsuner wrote:
ngsilver wrote:I find it best to install the OS with other drives unplugged more then just as a percussion in case of formatting data
I don't recommend using your hard drives as a drum set.
damn lysdexia got me agian!
ImageImageImageImage

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Nunusaur wrote:But I'm trying to get a new PC built, after about 8-10 years of putting up with 1,5GB RAM and 150GB of HD space. Imagine having to edit with that. >.< Explains why I have a pile of unfinished projects, lol...

What are your computer specs?
1GHz Celeron Coppermine (PIII-based); 32KB L1, 128KB L2
512MB PC-133 SDRAM (only had 256MBs until January 2010)
GeForce 6200 PCI graphics card (and Intel i810e onboard that I cannot disable from BIOS); put in December 2009/January 2010
USB 2.0 PCI card, put in early 2006 (since the USB ports it came with are all USB 1.1)
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-212B
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S (put in September 2005 to replace a DVD-ROM I took out of another computer to put in mine)
160 GB Seagate 7200rpm (main drive)
80 GB Seagate 7200rpm (enclosured; main editing drive)
30 GB Seagate 5400rpm (enclosured; music collection storage; former main drive)
2.1 Altec Lansing speaker setup
On its 3rd PSU (first blew out in 2005, second blew out in 2010)
1024x768 LCD monitor (because the 1280x1024 CRT monitor it came with has issues with retaining reds, and the other 1280x1024 CRT went unusably blurry)

You asked for specs. And yes, that's my editing rig. Has been since 2003.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Nunusaur
Org Profile

Post by Nunusaur » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanking everyone for taking the time to give me your suggestions! I'm convinced to buy the Black Caviar HDD, instead of the Green. As well as getting an SSD.

Only thing that is left for me to decide and I've been spending the past 2 days researching on is a graphic card that fits my needs. I'm looking for a GeForce GTX with 2Go preferably. If it helps, my current monitor resolution is 1920 x 1080, and I occasionally plug my PC to the Plasma TV. Anything that would make watching anime in HD more enjoyable than it already is, and for gaming. I was originally going for GTX 560 Ti 2Go, but I'm being told that it is a discontinued product, and that I should be going for GTX 650 Ti 2Go instead. Any suggestions/opinions, please? Thank you!

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:41 pm

The GTX 560 is a good card. Don't know what you mentioned 2Go, thought that was the laptop version.

Otaku-Alice
Org Profile

Post by Otaku-Alice » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:56 pm

INTUOS 5 Medium Pen and Touch Tablet
Monitor 1: 22 inch samsung
Monitor 2: 19 inch dell
RIG:
HP Windows 7 home premium 64-Bit
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T processor 2.70 GHz
Ram: 8
Graphic card:
GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Nunusaur
Org Profile

Post by Nunusaur » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:16 pm

^ I wish my desk woulda been as organized, lol.
Pwolf wrote:The GTX 560 is a good card. Don't know what you mentioned 2Go, thought that was the laptop version.
I believe it is for the PC too?

One very last question (I feel so bad for this :oops:). The person that is building the PC for me has suggested two of the following sound cards:

1. Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Sound card - 24-bit - 192 kHz - 109 dB SNR - 7.1 - PCIe - Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity - for Workstation z210 (CMT), z400, z600, z800
2. Full HD 7.1 HD Surround Sound DDR 5 Full Directx Support PCI- Express 2.0 VGA card

In the near future, I may get really good speakers for dubstep and etc (whenever we're able to afford them). Not the 'computer speakers' kind. I remember going to this one store, there was this huge speaker plugged in with the iPad and the sound quality was flawless even though the songs were playing from Youtube. What sound card would you suggest, that isn't too exaggerated (in terms of price) but could still do a good enough job? And out of the two listed above, which one seems to be the better one?

Again, thank you all for taking your time to reply to my questions/helping out nooby me, I really appreciate it!

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Onboard audio nowadays is usually pretty good so unless you need something specific out of your audio card, you really don't need to spend the money on it. I would stick with onboard in your case and if you feel the need to upgrade later, thats always an option.

Return to “General Discussion”