Sword Art Online

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Flame-X
Org Profile

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Flame-X » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:10 pm

ZephyrStar wrote:
Spoiler :
It really kinda pisses me off that Asuna was so OP in SAO, then she's basically helpless in the new game. I mean, yeah, I get that it's a new game and it would have been engineered to imprison her, and that Kirito's carryover stuff probably had a lot to do with Yui, but just, COME ON. She's much more badass than some little girl who would sit there and let this dude pet on her and get away with it.

AT LEAST she's been paying attention to the padlock. She'll get outta there, I just hope she goes back to being regular Asuna afterwards and owns some fools.
It shows that this series is very inconsistent with its character depictions. When Asuna debuted, she gave off an impression of a strong, brave, somewhat reckless, and a capable leader who's willing to get things done. But as the series goes on, she regresses into a defenseless kitten who easily breaks down to tears and hides behind Kirito's back. Now, she's nothing more than just fanservice bait and a plot device.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Well, these guys just take the game WAY too seriously now, don't they? Come on, why NOT have the dramatic lightning strike during that phone call? And one thing that I'm sure is on EVERYONE's mind now is
Spoiler :
WHY THE HELL DO THEIR BODIES STAY MATERIALIZED AFTER THEY LOG OUT? YOURE JUST ASKING PEOPLE TO FUCK YOU UP!!!
And god dammit, Yui is just so friggin kawaii that I'm getting diabetes. I LOVE IT! :ying:
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:51 am

a very nice great episode

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:57 am

TEKnician wrote:Well, these guys just take the game WAY too seriously now, don't they? Come on, why NOT have the dramatic lightning strike during that phone call? And one thing that I'm sure is on EVERYONE's mind now is
Spoiler :
WHY THE HELL DO THEIR BODIES STAY MATERIALIZED AFTER THEY LOG OUT? YOURE JUST ASKING PEOPLE TO FUCK YOU UP!!!
And god dammit, Yui is just so friggin kawaii that I'm getting diabetes. I LOVE IT! :ying:
exactly.
Spoiler :
Pretty cool ep other than the fact that Kirito really should've be tanker than that.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 pm

@Flame-X

Yeah, it's sad :|

Meanwhile,
Spoiler :
Hey, let's replace the heroine with a new heroine that lives with him and they don't notice each other playing the game despite living in the same house. Also she seems to show no concern that he was once trapped in the damn game, and that he's still playing the game. I think if I almost lost my brother to a game, I'd never want to see him play it again, let alone play it myself....meh.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:47 am

As many say, up to ep 14 SAO was just a blandly useless show, after that it becomes harmful.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 pm

I might end up dropping it actually... in favor of
Spoiler :
Magi

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:39 pm

I've actually been enjoying this show a bit more since ALO started. I guess Im good at having the opposite reaction from everyone else >>;

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Well, think of it this way. Asuna is one of the main attractives to this show, for many different reasons; ALO just completely destroys the character in favour of turning it into a lame plot device to keep the cow milking. The whole premise of how it got to where it got, as well as the whole imouto deal just irks me to no end, it's like it wasn't meant to be there to begin with (which it really wasn't).
IMHO, SAO would have been a much better show had they only focused on the SAO part, giving it an actual ending there and that's it. I'd also have entirely scrapped side characters like silica and liz, in favour of having a better development of the friendship with Klein, which is supposed to be Kirito's best friend, but it's like we only see him when the author goes like "hey, we need some character development for kirito and we need to make the story move, get Klein in there so we can do something," which was a pretty shallow way to abuse supposed friendship, since there wasn't much interaction between the two.
Overall the idea behind the SAO arc was nifty, but it was mostly badly employed, so I have mixed feelings at best for the first 14 episodes.
Past that I just see it as milking the franchise, since the author originally intended only for the first novel to exist, but then it kind of went on without polishing some stuff up. It was supposed to be online only, but then, what with the success it was gaining and all, it just went on for more than it should have. Furthermore the side stories, which take up like almost half a dozen episodes, are just part of the tie-in second novel, which again was done later. The first novel already hinted at character and events which are expanded upon there, but it's stuff that could have just been left untold or explained with quicker flashbacks, rather than dedicating entire episodes to them.

So yeah, by now I'll just finish it, but you can see how one would generally say it got worse. And imho its flaws didn't make it half the show it could have been in its first half either.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:16 pm

A lot of the disappointment is the persona of Asuna. complete 180. But it IS understandable because she got NERFED! she's got no powers. Not like she can wield a sword. Despite this, yes, i still hate this new direction.

But this does have a happy ending. If she breaks out and kirito uses his apparently high-level computer hacking skills to manipulate the game (like how he magically did with Yui) she will get a sword and own shit. That moment of glory will thus be much more rewarding to the watchers who have missed "Lightning-Flash Asuna". Now if they DONT show that, yes, this show is going to dirt. I have high hopes. But there is still room for error...MAJOR error.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”