Animegraphy 2012

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Taite
Org Profile

Re: Animegraphy 2012

Post by Taite » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 am

I've been following Gen and Kees for years, so I was really excited for this video (: And overall I really like it. I kind of hate anime mixes for the most part, but having the similarities between the different animes played consecutively is what made it really interesting and fun to watch. I like how you did that and the voice overs and bites of different songs, as in the Filmography and Cinema series. Transitions between the songs were done well too. I think anime fans in particular would really like this-- seeing all their favorite anime played together, but having the connections between them.

Because you used anime though, the overall feel was completely different than Filmography/Cinema (which is fine, just not my "cup of tea".) Having seen these videos several times over the years, I really really like them, and I actually kind of wish there was more similarity to these videos, because I think the way they're made is perfect. Your video is good how it is, and I think anime fans will really like it.
For me, as more of a live action film person, I can't get over how little variety in cinematography, if you will, there is in anime. That's just my opinion, but I didn't really feel the intensity at the action part. The slower part I really liked, the upbeat end was ok. I think if there were more scenes that followed into another, looking as if they are from the same movie, rather two similar scenes back to back, it would have added more variety to the connections, and hopefully to the scenes, which seem mostly to consist of facial shots.
Also, while each segment was nicely edited and paced well, it feels as if there entire video was quick cut after another. I wished it would have slowed down more at some points and really focused on the scenes.
Another thing was the voice overs. I wasn't a fan of most of them, just thought they were kind of boring. Not sure if there would be better ones though; anime isn't typically known for epic one liners. However, more than that though, if there was again some kind of connection between the audio bites; for instance, I love Filmography because there will be audio from one movie, and directly afterwards audio from another, that "replies" to the first comment. This happens a lot, and even if it isn't a direct reply, the next audio bit would be on a similar topic. I would have liked more voiceovers in general. It seems like there was one at the beginning of the segment, and one at the end. I don't think it's necessary to have voiceovers all throughout the video, but I would have liked more.

Like I said, I liked this a lot, and anime fans will like it more. I think because I'm not crazy about anime, especially newer ones, I didn't "feel" it as much. And I understand you probably don't want to do a direct copy of Filmography or something anyhow. Overall, it's really well edited and such, it was a fun watch, all of the connections were cool, sadder part was nice. My primary complaint I suppose would be is that there doesn't feel to be a variety in scenes or any establishment of a place at any time, just floating characters and faces. Fun though, and I'm glad to see more from you :up:
Image Image

[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Post by [madaraxD] » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:29 am

AimoAio wrote:Seriously amazing. :up: The cuts between all the different animes flowed perfectly as one, even with the difference in animation style for some shows, it didn't detract from the video at all. Really beautiful, I loved it! <3
This. Love it :up:

qyll
Org Profile

Post by qyll » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:30 am

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Taite:

You’re right. Fewer unique frames, no motion blur, and lack of variety in cinematography make anime an entirely different beast from live action. I wanted to capture the Hollywood montage feel of the film compilations, but I’m also not entirely satisfied with the result.

I would’ve looooved to have added more voiceovers, but in order to read subtitles, the viewer has to shift focus from the center of the screen to the bottom, which is a big problem when cut lengths are so short. Visual clutter has always been my biggest enemy while editing.

I did notice that the song from your latest video was taken from one of Kees’s videos. Did not realize you were also a fan!

Also, see you next year?
zzz

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Ahh, I see your point with the voiceovers. At such a fast pace, the subtitles every 10 seconds would be too much. Hmm... darn anime. With what you had to work with though, especially in terms of newer anime which lacks in everything you mentioned, you did a good job of mimicking that feel/format from the compilations. If you hadn't mentioned them, I would have immediately suggested the similarity.

And haha, I actually wasn't aware of that until I went back watching all of his videos! I'm sure I must have gotten it from his video and forgotten where it came from.

Can't wait! (:
Image Image

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Magic :up:
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

Frezio
Org Profile

Post by Frezio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Multianime, multiclimatic, multilovely AMV. I cant belive that all of this titles are from this year (^,=) Are u serious ? AWESOME clip :)

Magicflier
Org Profile

Post by Magicflier » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:59 pm

that scene linking, and dedication
nothing else to say :awesome:

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:09 pm

244 anime from 2012....how many of these series did you actually watch? How long did it take you to clip farm? How long did this take you to make, period? My mind boggles... :shock:

The last segment was when the regularity of the cuts (on the beat) started to get to me, but prior to that I wasn't distracted by the editing and was mentally racking up points the longer a certain theme held out. Regardless of the inspiration, this AMV is remarkably similar to Every Anime Opening Ever Made, which also picked up on the similarities between umpteen series for the fun and enjoyment of all. Your's definitely has higher video quality and went the extra step of going beyond intros and also utilizing the audio tracks.

Speaking of which, I really liked the voiceover segments and wished that could have been kept up consistently throughout the AMV so that the audio/video story being told in the beginning kept going - when only the video was there, I wasn't nearly as engaged on all cylinders. I also think it would have helped smooth out the music/thematic transitions as well - in this respect, this AMV felt like three separate MEP tracks combined into one video.

4/5 :up:

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Video of the year?

Did I make a joke?

OversoulZero
Org Profile

Post by OversoulZero » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:07 am

That was epic~ >.<