Animegraphy 2012

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

Animegraphy 2012

Postby qyll » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi, all. I haven’t uploaded anything in a while, so here’s something I’ve been slowly putting together over the past several months.

It’s a five minute retrospective of this year’s anime titles shamelessly copied from directly inspired by Gen Ip’s Filmography/Matt Shapiro’s Cinescape/Kees van Dijkhuizen Jr’s Cinema series. If you haven’t seen these videos, I strongly recommend checking them out.

The local version is a 10-bit .mkv with subtitle tracks for English captions, anime credits, and song credits. Indirect link is for the 8-bit with hardsubbed captions.
zzz
qyll

Re: Animegraphy 2012

Postby Kain-x-spirits » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:28 pm

That was awesome, i enjoyed this a lot. It didn't feel like i was watching a 5min vid.
:up:
Kain-x-spirits

Postby Shin-AMV » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:56 pm

This was magnificent. :up:
Shin-AMV

Postby Cecco » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Awesome Awesome Awesome! |:> |:>
Cecco
Biscotto

Postby Animated » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Well that's a multi-anime amv for you :D Great job!
Animated
Drama Text Cop

Postby irriadin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Really nicely done, I enjoyed this greatly.
irriadin
BUBBLES!

Postby AimoAio » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Seriously amazing. :up: The cuts between all the different animes flowed perfectly as one, even with the difference in animation style for some shows, it didn't detract from the video at all. Really beautiful, I loved it! <3
AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy

Postby NotReallyHere » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Have to agree with the person above me, I was in awe through the whole thing. :)
NotReallyHere
Just for Fun

Postby Hikado95 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:01 pm

believe me that I missed to see these types of videos.
It deserves a recognition with this video :up:
Hikado95

Postby Kisagi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:44 pm

This was very fascinating, I loved it
Kisagi

Postby Taite » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 am

I've been following Gen and Kees for years, so I was really excited for this video (: And overall I really like it. I kind of hate anime mixes for the most part, but having the similarities between the different animes played consecutively is what made it really interesting and fun to watch. I like how you did that and the voice overs and bites of different songs, as in the Filmography and Cinema series. Transitions between the songs were done well too. I think anime fans in particular would really like this-- seeing all their favorite anime played together, but having the connections between them.

Because you used anime though, the overall feel was completely different than Filmography/Cinema (which is fine, just not my "cup of tea".) Having seen these videos several times over the years, I really really like them, and I actually kind of wish there was more similarity to these videos, because I think the way they're made is perfect. Your video is good how it is, and I think anime fans will really like it.
For me, as more of a live action film person, I can't get over how little variety in cinematography, if you will, there is in anime. That's just my opinion, but I didn't really feel the intensity at the action part. The slower part I really liked, the upbeat end was ok. I think if there were more scenes that followed into another, looking as if they are from the same movie, rather two similar scenes back to back, it would have added more variety to the connections, and hopefully to the scenes, which seem mostly to consist of facial shots.
Also, while each segment was nicely edited and paced well, it feels as if there entire video was quick cut after another. I wished it would have slowed down more at some points and really focused on the scenes.
Another thing was the voice overs. I wasn't a fan of most of them, just thought they were kind of boring. Not sure if there would be better ones though; anime isn't typically known for epic one liners. However, more than that though, if there was again some kind of connection between the audio bites; for instance, I love Filmography because there will be audio from one movie, and directly afterwards audio from another, that "replies" to the first comment. This happens a lot, and even if it isn't a direct reply, the next audio bit would be on a similar topic. I would have liked more voiceovers in general. It seems like there was one at the beginning of the segment, and one at the end. I don't think it's necessary to have voiceovers all throughout the video, but I would have liked more.

Like I said, I liked this a lot, and anime fans will like it more. I think because I'm not crazy about anime, especially newer ones, I didn't "feel" it as much. And I understand you probably don't want to do a direct copy of Filmography or something anyhow. Overall, it's really well edited and such, it was a fun watch, all of the connections were cool, sadder part was nice. My primary complaint I suppose would be is that there doesn't feel to be a variety in scenes or any establishment of a place at any time, just floating characters and faces. Fun though, and I'm glad to see more from you :up:
Image Image
Taite

Postby [madaraxD] » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:29 am

AimoAio wrote:Seriously amazing. :up: The cuts between all the different animes flowed perfectly as one, even with the difference in animation style for some shows, it didn't detract from the video at all. Really beautiful, I loved it! <3

This. Love it :up:
[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis

Postby qyll » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:30 am

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Taite:

You’re right. Fewer unique frames, no motion blur, and lack of variety in cinematography make anime an entirely different beast from live action. I wanted to capture the Hollywood montage feel of the film compilations, but I’m also not entirely satisfied with the result.

I would’ve looooved to have added more voiceovers, but in order to read subtitles, the viewer has to shift focus from the center of the screen to the bottom, which is a big problem when cut lengths are so short. Visual clutter has always been my biggest enemy while editing.

I did notice that the song from your latest video was taken from one of Kees’s videos. Did not realize you were also a fan!

Also, see you next year?
zzz
qyll

Postby Taite » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Ahh, I see your point with the voiceovers. At such a fast pace, the subtitles every 10 seconds would be too much. Hmm... darn anime. With what you had to work with though, especially in terms of newer anime which lacks in everything you mentioned, you did a good job of mimicking that feel/format from the compilations. If you hadn't mentioned them, I would have immediately suggested the similarity.

And haha, I actually wasn't aware of that until I went back watching all of his videos! I'm sure I must have gotten it from his video and forgotten where it came from.

Can't wait! (:
Image Image
Taite

Postby Megamom » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Magic :up:
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE
Megamom

Next

Return to AMV Announcements