Obama Wins!

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: Obama Wins!

Post by trythil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Actually, I was celebrating progress, not so much who won the damn election. I could give two flying dinos who's president or which side wins, all I care about is them forward marching us towards social equality for all. And until Republicans put up someone who's socially/morally/ethically bankrupt, then I'm putting on my damn party hat when Democrats win some seats or the Presidency. |:>
First off, you edited "socially/morally/ethically bankrupt" to "socially/morally/ethically moderate". In repeated previews, I noticed that you truncated even more of your original post.

I will respond to your original post.

Second: This is an instance of the problem I'm talking about. I think there's a big jump from "disagreeing with Romney's morals" to "morally bankrupt" and I don't know how you're making that jump. Nor do I think it's productive.

I do not agree with some of Romney's policies; I made some arguments against his energy policy in a previous thread, for example. I don't think, however, that attacks on his character really get us anywhere.

If you're referring to comments made by i.e. Todd Akin on "legitimate rape", then yes, those were some bizarre comments, and probably don't speak well of him. I don't think, however, that they are relevant to politics.

If or when he attempts to introduce policy that reflects a "legitimate rape" philosophy, that policy can be challenged (and likely shot down). Repeated attempts to introduce such policy can be taken as evidence that Akin (or whoever) is serving as a poor representative, as he is introducing policy that is not in the best interest of the nation. (That's actually a tricky thing to define; sometimes "best interest" hurts. In this particular case, though, the answer is less fuzzy.)

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Well, I went ahead and re-edited it back. Originally, I felt like I over-killed on the terminology, but it's fairly accurate to how I fel, so back it is.

But yeah, you hit the nail on the head with my intent.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:30 pm

trythil wrote: There is too much insistence on winning and almost no discussion of the veracity or implications of statements like these:
The topic is called "Obama Wins!" ?? The majority of this thread is mainly just reactions to that simple fact.

And I have no problem with discussions over those kinds of statements, or about the electoral college and whatever else was brought up, but personally I'm going to leave my two cents on this matter. Me talking in an online forum over such statements isn't going to make anyone in the government reach across the aisle anyhow. I can discuss whatever, sure. But I'd rather talk about it face to face with people anyhow, not over a screen. So anyone making a simple comment online isn't all of a sudden a hindrance to the progress of our nation. And just because they choose not to comment on certain statements doesn't mean that the only opinion they have about the matter is "I'm glad Obama won." I'm sure everyone has a lengthy opinion about any topic/policy/politician/whatever you want to talk about, but an online forum isn't the best format for those discussions anyhow, and I've gradually been getting more tired of having to sit in front of a screen and type things for long periods of time just to have a discussion with people. Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

But really, go discuss/debate, it's healthy. But for me, yeah, I am disappointed in the election, would have been disappointed either way I think. I would have liked Ron Paul, for numerous reasons. Sorry for that? I'd appreciate it if people could be left to state such simple opinions without being attacked for causing the progress of our nation to falter.
Image Image

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Taite wrote:Romney never had a chance anyhow; best campaign wins. But there's no new loss to the people, both candidates were more of the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uduJu7QRd40

This man could have been in office too. Fuck you America. Ordering my fucking RP sweater today and I'm never taking that shit off.
Cool, hope you realize you're endorsing a man who believes there should be a constitutional ban on gay marriage, wants to fight wars with mercenaries, and thinks the Civil Rights Act should be repealed.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 pm

That's fine, I realize there are iffy things surrounding a person I endorse, rumor or not, (which I don't think you or anyone would know the truth of anyhow), as well as Obama and Romney and every other politician. But I don't feel it necessary to defend my views against yours. I could bash who you endorse, which I'm guessing is Obama, and say something like enjoy 20 trillion dollars of debt or whatever, but I realize I'll be forced to endure the same things so it's kind of pointless.
Image Image

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Taite wrote:
trythil wrote: There is too much insistence on winning and almost no discussion of the veracity or implications of statements like these:
The topic is called "Obama Wins!" ?? The majority of this thread is mainly just reactions to that simple fact.
My post is a reaction to those reaction, as I have a problem with this thread. Rubbing victory in other people's faces is just as bad in politics as it is in sports, and it promotes nonconstructive bad blood, like your reaction. Sometimes that's useful, but in a political system as sick as the one we currently have I don't think it's the way to go.

I'm not attacking you, I'm asking that this "my side is best side" crap end. That goes for everyone.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:14 pm

I just created the thread as an excuse to gloat, and even though I agree with trythil to a very large extent on this issue in general, today, I just don't care, and I ain't apologising for it.

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Kionon wrote:I just created the thread as an excuse to gloat, and even though I agree with trythil to a very large extent on this issue in general, today, I just don't care, and I ain't apologising for it.

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://awesomelyluvvie.com/wp-content/u ... Obama.jpeg
I feel like this is more appropriate.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 pm

Did you make that? It's awesome!
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.