How long have you edited...

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

How long have you edited...

Postby zibbazabba905 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 am

In one go?

I think my first WMM ones took about 8 hours total, but that was all in one shot
"Uhmmm... You know... it was at that point that I realized that maybe Thierry wasn't actually a film maker, and he was maybe just someone with mental problems who happened to have a camera. " -Banksy
zibbazabba905

Re: How long have you edited...

Postby ngsilver » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:22 am

I've spent a whole day working on a video before, like that's all I did that day. I've done that a few times actually. Not sure how long specifically that was, cuz' I did take breaks for food. But I'd say it's on the order of 15+ hours straight.

An average session for me if I'm really in the trenches is about 4~8 hours depending on which day of the week and if I have any other obligations that day (like work, school, ect)

It could take multiple of such sessions to finish a video. My latest video took about 4 weeks of such sessions to complete, with multiple 8+ hour sessions on the weekends, and it's still not finished.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby irriadin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:41 am

During one day during the Quickening this year, I went for about 10 hours with a few breaks. This was after working the whole day.
irriadin
BUBBLES!

Postby CodeZTM » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:55 am

There was a project in college in an extra-curricular activity that I had to make on a deadline, which turned into a all-nighter project. Some asshole dropped the project the day before due, and this particular club was obligated to send in something. So I snagged a film crew who filmed stuff all morning while I prepped some templates and did some crappy text effects. Then editing from about 3 PM until nearly 4-5 AM the next day.

But AMV wise? Disney MEP 3 I spent a good 12-15 hours on one day laying out the tracks and doing transitions/audio leveling plus deciding where everything went. MHMKS also took a good 7 hours one day when I first started it and was laying out basic scenes for each character during that time.

Although this isn't generally how I work. Usually I take 1-2 15 second sections of song and spend about 1-2 hours on it then move on to something else.
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby Ileia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 am

I've stayed up more than 24 hours on multiple occasions, usually trying to meet a deadline.
For the Quickening this year, I did five 12-16 hour days of editing for five days in a row.
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby Zarxrax » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Ileia wrote:I've stayed up more than 24 hours on multiple occasions, usually trying to meet a deadline.
For the Quickening this year, I did five 12-16 hour days of editing for five days in a row.

That's dedication right there.
Or obsession.

I think the most I have done was about 2 days straight, with normal sleep time between them.
Zarxrax

Postby Ileia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Or unemployment. >_>
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby ZephyrStar » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:24 pm

When I did my pixelated lucky star video, 8 hours a day most days, sometimes more, for about a month and a half. I would not recommend it.

:dino:
ZephyrStar
Master of Science

Postby Castor Troy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Was unemployed during most of the duration I edited the original Naruto Ball Z, so I did 2 months of 8-16 hour days to get it done for my AWA 2005 panel.
"Vlad, you will not get my new blockbuster video. Sorry bro." - Chemix800, Hollywood Editor
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby Shin-AMV » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Can't say for sure, but losing track of time with a bottle full of adderall can do terrible things to a sleep schedule.
Shin-AMV

Postby Rider4Z » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Ileia wrote:Or unemployment. >_>

i was about to ask...
Image Image
Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby Otohiko » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:22 pm

I've done up to 16 hours in one go. All of my individual videos are always finished in the space of about 2 weeks after starting them, and it's not unusual for me to edit compulsively for several days in a row (and not do much else), then not edit for months until the next video.
Otohiko

Postby Athena » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Minmay 2.0 took seven years to complete, but that was not full on editing the entire time. I've often spent entire days, some times several days in a row editing all day, aside from eating, sleeping, etc. I'd say, on average, most of my videos take months of planning, storyboarding, prepping, clipping, and editing to finish. Three or four months is maybe average. With the exception of ICs, which are a very, very different type of editing for me personally, editing anything in a day is simply impossible. I didn't participate in the Quickening, but I don't think I'd really like anything that I only took a week to make. Too little time for my to crystalise my vision.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby TritioAFB » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:52 pm

2 years for a video
ImageImage
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld

Postby chaosgod357 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:37 pm

I went 48 hours from Oct 10th - 12th >__< I have literally just started making AMVs and I couldn't stop made 4 of them pretty much till I passed out
ChaosGod Productions
TheOrg: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... id=1096519
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChaosGodProductions
<3 AMV Editors Don't Die We Multiply!!
chaosgod357

Location: Always running away but no matter how far I go there I am

Next

Return to General AMV