Corrections As You Go on 4K Video

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Corrections As You Go on 4K Video

Post by Kionon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:30 am

Gizmodo wrote:Foton Inc. claims that it has developed a new retouching technique that can be applied to 4K video and it's not going into the footage and adjusting frame-by-frame or compressing the hell out of it. Nope. Foton claims that its software can track a face as they move around the video and maintain the 'photoshopped' edits. It's crazy.
http://vimeo.com/22223687

Wonder if it is only in 4K video, and I wonder if it can be made to track anime characters. If it can track faces, animation should be simple by comparison. Might make rotoscoping easier... I realise that some software options already some of this to a degree, but I'm grasping that this is a lot more sophisticated.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Re: Corrections As You Go on 4K Video

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:27 am

Just gonna say right now... 4k video is just sexy *o*

Also... I would imagine it only being on 4k video because there really wasn't any data loss when he was editing the effects of his tutorial, and that's kinda why 4k video is superior and unique cause of its almost pure video footage... I wonder if anime will get 4k one day... maybe raise up the frames per second limit as well to see how smooth a scene can go...

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:13 am

lloyd9988 wrote:I wonder if anime will get 4k one day... maybe raise up the frames per second limit as well to see how smooth a scene can go...
4k anime with 60fps? People will be dissatisfied with the cost.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:38 am

Eake4 wrote:
lloyd9988 wrote:I wonder if anime will get 4k one day... maybe raise up the frames per second limit as well to see how smooth a scene can go...
:| It will happen!!! ... Just won't be mainstream ;D

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:54 am

lloyd9988 wrote:
Eake4 wrote:
:| It will happen!!! ... Just won't be mainstream ;D
Probably if it was ever done, it would have to be produced by Ufotable to make it worthwhile, not to say that other companies can't take advantage out of it but its that they really would have to pull out a large budget plan which wouldn't work in their favour well enough unless its like a third Gig of GitS or another redline project.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am

She is against a green screen and the head motion is very slow and slight.
Its just some basic motion tracking from the looks of it.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:20 pm

This is basically what VFX artists working in both advertising and entertainment have been doing for years and years with compositing tools like Flame, Nuke, Fusion, etc. I mean, the tech on display here is certainly very cool and interesting, but it's not ground-breaking. And while I'm sure 4K makes stuff like this easier (or at least can make it look better), it's by no means a requirement.

As far as applying the same ideas to anime, you definitely could. With some basic spatial tracking in AE/Mocha and some adjustment layers, you can do all kinds of crazy shit.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

puttanic
Org Profile

Post by puttanic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 am

nice video!

Return to “Effects & Techniques”