Nihon copyright ??

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Re: Nihon copyright ??

Post by aesling » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Kionon wrote:No, they really are.

Strong legal arguments can be made that AMVs fit the four balance test, and are fundamentally transformative, as opposed to just derivative. Editing imports a significant amount of new value into the work, the nature of the work does not preclude criticism or commentary, and there is no use of the transformative for profit.

For my long rant on why AMV's would probably not be considered Fair Use, please see http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 2&start=30, because I'm not typing it up again.

Basically, even though you could possibly make an argument for the video being Fair Use, the same can not be said for the musical element. It doesn't matter if AMV's aren't intended to be a replacement for buying music - unless you are using your own music or have the author's explicit permission to use it, you are still violating the original author's exclusive right to sell, distribute, copy, transfer, reproduce, etc. An AMV creator may not end up meeting the requirements to be criminally liable, but that won't stop the IP holders from suing the pants off of you if they feel like it, so please stop promoting the myth that AMV's are established as Fair Use, or that their creation is a clear cut example of such.
:ying:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:32 pm

aesling wrote:Basically, even though you could possibly make an argument for the video being Fair Use, the same can not be said for the musical element. It doesn't matter if AMV's aren't intended to be a replacement for buying music - unless you are using your own music or have the author's explicit permission to use it, you are still violating the original author's exclusive right to sell, distribute, copy, transfer, reproduce, etc. An AMV creator may not end up meeting the requirements to be criminally liable, but that won't stop the IP holders from suing the pants off of you if they feel like it, so please stop promoting the myth that AMV's are established as Fair Use, or that their creation is a clear cut example of such.
I've already addressed how the transformative nature applies to even unaltered music elsewhere as well, and if you won't type up yours again, I won't type up mine. Suffice it to say, in our system, you can sue for anything at any time, doesn't mean the lawsuit will stand up. It does mean that the IP holder could very well sue because they know I won't have the money to fight them. This usually leads to a settlement out of court which doesn't affect precedent at all.

So please stop conflating the fact that we have limited funding to fight for our interpretation of Fair Use with the idea that Fair Use doesn't apply. That's the myth.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by aesling » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:42 pm

I didn't say it didn't apply, I said it was likely a difficult argument. As you point out, if precedent hasn't been established either way, it is difficult to definitively state that AMV's ARE Fair Use as well.
:ying:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:47 pm

aesling wrote:I didn't say it didn't apply, I said it was likely a difficult argument. As you point out, if precedent hasn't been established either way, it is difficult to definitively state that AMV's ARE Fair Use as well.
I believe precedent has been established. AMVs are simply slightly new way of addressing a very old human activity. You say probably not, but say are. Definitively. That's my interpretation, and I am going to continue to play that to the hilt. To do otherwise is to leave open the door that I ever, possibly knowingly violated copyright. And that is very, very dangerous. And I deny it. Especially in a public forum like this.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General Discussion”