forget science, ALCHEMY!!!

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Re: forget science, ALCHEMY!!!

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:29 pm

I've always had the odd strange desire to drink liquid gold.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm gonna ruin your fun unfortunately :uhoh:

The gold has to be pre-existing....so you have to find gold chloride somewhere ;_____;

You could always dissolve your gold rings/watch/etc. in a chloride solution and feed it to the bacteria though :awesome:

OR.....if you want to build a very big and expensive machine.... and have a lot of mercury laying around...

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/us-alchemists-make-gold/

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Hate to spoil the fun, but this is in no way "making" gold as so many articles would have you believe. The key substance here is gold chloride, which is quite toxic. However, the name means that the gold is already present. What they've done is create a strain of bacteria that are not only resistant to the highly toxic chemical, but are actually able to process out the nasty bits and leave the pure gold behind.

Again, they are not "making" gold. It's simply another process by which gold can be separated from other substances. No magic is being done or scientific laws being broken. The real story here is toxin-resistant bacteria that thrive in things other life forms would be killed by in short order. This has implications for decontamination of waste sites (or super bacteria to kill us all, take your pick).
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Damn you, Chris. :bzz: 8-)
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Fire_Starter wrote:Hate to spoil the fun, but this is in no way "making" gold as so many articles would have you believe. The key substance here is gold chloride, which is quite toxic. However, the name means that the gold is already present. What they've done is create a strain of bacteria that are not only resistant to the highly toxic chemical, but are actually able to process out the nasty bits and leave the pure gold behind.

Again, they are not "making" gold. It's simply another process by which gold can be separated from other substances. No magic is being done or scientific laws being broken. The real story here is toxin-resistant bacteria that thrive in things other life forms would be killed by in short order. This has implications for decontamination of waste sites (or super bacteria to kill us all, take your pick).
Oh, so I guess it's good that I drink it then.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:30 pm

ZephyrStar wrote:I'm gonna ruin your fun unfortunately :uhoh:
The gold has to be pre-existing....so you have to find gold chloride somewhere ;_____;
You could always dissolve your gold rings/watch/etc. in a chloride solution and feed it to the bacteria though :awesome:
Fire_Starter wrote:Hate to spoil the fun, but this is in no way "making" gold as so many articles would have you believe. The key substance here is gold chloride, which is quite toxic. However, the name means that the gold is already present. What they've done is create a strain of bacteria that are not only resistant to the highly toxic chemical, but are actually able to process out the nasty bits and leave the pure gold behind. Again, they are not "making" gold. It's simply another process by which gold can be separated from other substances. No magic is being done or scientific laws being broken. The real story here is toxin-resistant bacteria that thrive in things other life forms would be killed by in short order. This has implications for decontamination of waste sites (or super bacteria to kill us all, take your pick).
I'm tired of all your science and lies!

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:09 pm

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:I've always had the odd strange desire to drink liquid gold.
Here ya go.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Qyot27 wrote:
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:I've always had the odd strange desire to drink liquid gold.
Here ya go.
Image >

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Holy shit, is that the state of science reporting these days? That's pathetic.

I can't blame the reporters too much. MSU hyped the hell out of the "alchemy" angle and there's a shortage of chemistry journalists who don't understand that the reaction isn't the interesting thing. That can be worked out in thought experiments.

The bacterium Cupriavidus metallidurans is the interesting thing. How the hell does it work? As far as I can tell, that's still an unanswered question.

Return to “General Discussion”