Well, I suppose I should initiate a thread now just to see if there's an interest for this one...Anime USA 2012
is more or less four weeks from today. In the past, I know there has really not been much interest for editors in attendance of this con to get together for a dinner--but I like bucking tradition.
Also, I sorta want to take advantage of this convention being actually in Washington, DC
proper this year (pretty much near the same WMATA MetroRail stop
as Katsucon many moons ago
So, if you think you might be interested in a pre-con dinner for the evening of Thursday, November 8th (starting around 9PM), just reply to this posting and I'll try to check back with a running tally for those that want to attend.
I'm still researching into area restaurants that may be able to accomodate, but I think I may want to have definitive cutoff date for replies. I'm thinking maybe around close of business on Monday, November 5th at 4PM EST.
Anyway, based on a cursory seach via Google, here's a starting list of possible local restaurants...
1. Open City
- Slightly higher-end American fare and diner (think comfort food). I went there during Katsu one year and they have great Sunday brunch options--but I digress...
2. Cafe Paradiso
- Mid-priced Italian restaurant on Connecticut Avenue
3. Rajaji Curry House
- Indian cuisine--mutton vindaloo, anyone?
4. Tono Sushi
- Sushi...at an anime convention?!?! Ha!
5. Lebanese Taverna
- Middle eastern (Note: According to the website, the Woodley Park location is currently closed for renovations with an expected re-opening date sometime in "early Fall". Yeah, we'll see how this turns out...)
6. Chipotle (Corner of Calvert and Connecticut Ave)
- Fast-food Mexican...casual and informal
7. Murphy's Irish Pub
- Tavern/Gastropub fare...there's definitely beer here.
Well, I guess seven or so eating choices is a good start for the area. If anybody has any other suggestions for places, feel free to speak up. Hopefully, this will at least turn out to be a fun experience for everyone.
See ya in a month!
(As an afterthough, I just realized that I should probably add something of a disclaimer along the lines that this planned event is not official function of Anime USA convention programming nor is it endorsed by its partners or corporate operations. This is strictly an informal get-together for interested parties in an effort to create social bonding and camaraderie pre-con. Any views or opinions expressed herein may also not be held by Anime USA, the animemusicvideos.org site, nor its respective owners. It's just dinner, guys!)