036.5C

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
SeNniN
Org Profile

Re: 036.5C

Post by SeNniN » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 am

butterflo wrote:@SeNniN

That was the best compromise I could do :( H264 compression loses detail in dark scenes because of how it compresses video data. I tried with various options, and found using not enough bitrate gave me macroblocks and heavy banding in fade-in scenes. The only solution at my side was to use slowest settings and high bitrate:/ The source also had some grain, which comes hard on file-size..
Have you tried rendering with Zarax264? or were you using some other program? I'm just curious because I used it for my last amv, which is pretty dark too (literally), but I didn't have any issue's with it.

As for your amv, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I knew the lyrics because it's really emotional and all, and I just found my self lost, but at the same time I did like your editing. The transactions, and the effects you added, if you did add them, or it was in the source were well done. I just felt the scenes were dragged out a bit longer than needed. There was this one clip that lasted roughly around 20 seconds or so.. the one where someone places a hand over someone elses hand... forgive me, I suck at this. :|
But, I would say it was nicely put together, and I'm sure there is audience out there that would enjoy this. All in all, my only complaint would be the length of the scenes, but other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it. Good job. :up:

butterflo
Org Profile

Re: 036.5C

Post by butterflo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 am

@SeNniN

Oh I used Zarx264. Placebo, default tune and crf 18 came out with blocking and banding issues. It drove me nuts :uhoh: and its just before that hand scene fades in from black.
The x264.exe used in Zarx264 is not vanilla, it's a patched build with fade compensation and other techy functions. However even with setting fade compensation to 1.0 banding was still there..
afaik, H264 gives *less* bitrate to *complex* scenes because complex scenes are usually high-motion scenes. The logic is that a naked eye doesn't notice much of tiny details when the scenes are moving rapidly.
This is also applied to dark scenes, details are not usually important when the overall screen is near-black, which hurts in this particular case :(

And to all others big <3 for your comments! I do appreciate it, especially of those on story :D
watch my videos here:
https://butterflo.me

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”