How has the AMV landscape changed?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Re: How has the AMV landscape changed?

Post by AceD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 am

Rider, am sure you realise this anyway....but even if nobody at all uploaded your videos....you wouldn't magically get thousands of views all of a sudden...probably the opposite...less people would know your name

and well....with the way youtube works i don't see how it matters what channel a video is on, people watch it, they like it, they dont like it...they may comment. Thats as far as youtube interaction goes. As long as said channel owner doesn't chop your name out the credits or something, or block you from commenting....it's actually no different than it been on your own channel? :|

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:16 am

^ Yeap.

I get more views and subscribers to my channel as a direct result of others uploading my videos and crediting me (sometimes linking directly to my channel) than I do from just random people happening to find me.

To be honest, whether it's on my channel or not, no one cares that I made it, they just want to watch an AMV. When someone else uploads my video (and isn't trying to take credit for it) I'm just happy that more people are watching my AMVs, especially given that it's usually more views than I'd be able to get otherwise. I've heard the argument that "You'd never know if you were gonna get more views/subscribers, they stole your potential views", but without having a 25k-30k subscriber base like many of their channels have, I find that highly unlikely. Plus, my channels keep getting suspended, I'm on my fourth one. >_> It's nice that viewers can still easily watch my videos in the event that I get ousted again.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:26 am

Rider4Z should just issue takedown notices. Worked for Scintilla, and It's not like anyone actually checks the veracity of those things.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am

:nono:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:33 am

It worked for Scintilla on the squid girl video because the music was actually his. But, yea, you can issue take down notices or even simple take down requests via legal-sounding form-letter style PMs too. When I gave a shit it worked for me... 30-40 times.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:It worked for Scintilla on the squid girl video because the music was actually his. But, yea, you can issue take down notices or even simple take down requests via legal-sounding form-letter style PMs too. When I gave a shit it worked for me... 30-40 times.
So easy to block that, and get the person who sent it potentially banned :wink: . Not like most youtubers know this though

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:42 am

I know Scintilla's case is different. I bring it up because (1) he deserves to receive shit about it and (2) I love the irony and think it'd be pretty funny to see it happen again.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 am

I'm not sure I see the irony. Someone can be pro-remix culture and be all for sharing works that exhibit substantive transformative alteration (one of the tenants of fair use and the evolution of culture itself), but be against sharing unaltered works. One is expressing creativity and adding value, while the other isn't. In fact, I think that’s the general view of this very site. Or it used to be at some point, with the whole “don’t use downloaded footage” thing.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:08 am

You're right, it's not really irony. Asshattery is the more precise term that I should have used.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:13 pm

trythil wrote:You're right, it's not really irony. Asshattery is the more precise term that I should have used.
:up:

and like I can can complain about 1.6+ MILLION views: http://youtu.be/blt6lqUXMd0 ... though they still don't know who made it. :awesome:

Return to “General AMV”