036.5C

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

036.5C

Postby butterflo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:46 am

"..when words are not enough,"
butterflo

Re: 036.5C

Postby Athena » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:18 am

I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet. I found it very intriguing. I know nothing about the work, but I'm pretty sure I understood the story here. The command line code and the scene choices largely spoke for themselves in a very simple combination with the music. There just wasn't a lot of need for anything flashy. I think the short-attention span crowd might complain about clips being too long, but I won't, since I believe I understand what you were trying to do.

I liked it. Utterly depressing, but I liked it.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby lloyd9988 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Yeahhh.... That one hand scene was so long xD

but I liked the story that it told. Kind of a nice change of pace from all the other videos that have flashes and so many scene changes. A nice story, didn't need to use that many effects or transitions and the emotion was present. I'd give this a good recommendation because its a nice change of pace from all the other AMVs that use a lot of scenes and effects.
~Yo~
lloyd9988

Postby AimoAio » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:06 pm

lloyd9988 wrote:A nice story, didn't need to use that many effects or transitions and the emotion was present.

x2. Though as someone who is nitpicky when it comes to pacing, I did find that a lot of the scenes could have been cut shorter or alternatively a scene from the same sequence that used a different camera angle might have helped break it up a little while keeping the atmosphere going.

But it was interesting. And Supercell= <3
AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy

Postby Athena » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:50 pm

I totally called it on the "in b4 'clips are too long'" comment. :P
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby butterflo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 am

Kionon wrote:I think the short-attention span crowd might complain about clips being too long,

:awesome:

Whenever I show betas to my friends they would give feedbacks like why is this clip so long :? and I would go,
..why not? If it adds more I'd stick to it:)

(well, aside from the fact I'm really bad at AE..)
Last edited by butterflo on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butterflo

Postby lloyd9988 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Kionon wrote:I totally called it on the "in b4 'clips are too long'" comment. :P

You wouldn't have called it if you didn't think it either :awesome:
~Yo~
lloyd9988

Postby Athena » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:32 pm

lloyd9988 wrote:
Kionon wrote:I totally called it on the "in b4 'clips are too long'" comment. :P

You wouldn't have called it if you didn't think it either :awesome:

BZZZT, wrong. I've just been at this for so long, especially after running #amv-review, that I already know how my own views differ from a more mainstream opinion. While *I* don't think they are too long, I'm also able to recognise when other people will disagree.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby SeNniN » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:01 pm

I think you would have gotten more feedback if you had cut down the file size and uploaded it on here, or provided a link to youtube. 100+ mb for a 2 min clip seems a lot to me.
SeNniN

Postby butterflo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm

@SeNniN

That was the best compromise I could do :( H264 compression loses detail in dark scenes because of how it compresses video data. I tried with various options, and found using not enough bitrate gave me macroblocks and heavy banding in fade-in scenes. The only solution at my side was to use slowest settings and high bitrate:/ The source also had some grain, which comes hard on file-size..
butterflo

Postby SeNniN » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 am

butterflo wrote:@SeNniN

That was the best compromise I could do :( H264 compression loses detail in dark scenes because of how it compresses video data. I tried with various options, and found using not enough bitrate gave me macroblocks and heavy banding in fade-in scenes. The only solution at my side was to use slowest settings and high bitrate:/ The source also had some grain, which comes hard on file-size..

Have you tried rendering with Zarax264? or were you using some other program? I'm just curious because I used it for my last amv, which is pretty dark too (literally), but I didn't have any issue's with it.

As for your amv, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I knew the lyrics because it's really emotional and all, and I just found my self lost, but at the same time I did like your editing. The transactions, and the effects you added, if you did add them, or it was in the source were well done. I just felt the scenes were dragged out a bit longer than needed. There was this one clip that lasted roughly around 20 seconds or so.. the one where someone places a hand over someone elses hand... forgive me, I suck at this. :|
But, I would say it was nicely put together, and I'm sure there is audience out there that would enjoy this. All in all, my only complaint would be the length of the scenes, but other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it. Good job. :up:
SeNniN

Postby butterflo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 am

@SeNniN

Oh I used Zarx264. Placebo, default tune and crf 18 came out with blocking and banding issues. It drove me nuts :uhoh: and its just before that hand scene fades in from black.
The x264.exe used in Zarx264 is not vanilla, it's a patched build with fade compensation and other techy functions. However even with setting fade compensation to 1.0 banding was still there..
afaik, H264 gives *less* bitrate to *complex* scenes because complex scenes are usually high-motion scenes. The logic is that a naked eye doesn't notice much of tiny details when the scenes are moving rapidly.
This is also applied to dark scenes, details are not usually important when the overall screen is near-black, which hurts in this particular case :(

And to all others big <3 for your comments! I do appreciate it, especially of those on story :D
butterflo

Return to AMV Announcements