What does the AMV community think about dubs?

BlindSage
Org Profile

Re: What does the AMV community think about dubs?

Post by BlindSage » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 pm

I can careless about dbz dubs but when it comes to a good series and they have dub, they usually end up ruining the good anime but most dvds now have dual audio.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:36 pm

I'll just throw in my 2 cents. Dubs have certainly gotten better over the years, and I can name a couple series/movies in which I have actually enjoyed the dubs over the original (vampire hunter D: Bloodlust is probably my favorite dub example, mostly because the variety of accents that the dub brings, rather than the universal Japanese accent of the original).

However, In probably 95% of dub vrs subs I'll prefer subs, for several reasons.
1. The original anime voice acting usually (not 100% of the time but most of the time) sounds more authentic and has more emotion. Seriously, have you heard the one piece dub? But granted, I think it would be hard to find an english speaker who could accurately represent ridiculous voices like in that series anyway.

2. The translation from Japanese to English doesn't always come over well, especially if it involves a play on words, rhyming, Japanese jokes or something similar that simply doesn't make sense in English. I would be very interested to see if they attempt to make a Joshiraku dub, Much of the series is about Japanese puns and play on words, which make absolutely no sense if directly translated to English.

3. Occasionally certain conversations (especially if they are very mature in nature or involve sexual stuff) are changed, sometimes into completely different conversations than the original ones, because the original content is not considered suitable for western audiences. Note that I haven't actually heard a dub in quite a while since I almost entirely watched subs for the past several years, so this may not be as big of an issue. But i distinctly remember watching certain series in dubs first (via toonami or other TV channels) and then watching the subs later and thinking, "wtf, that conversation was completely different from what I remember".

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 am

If OP is still around - it might be worth clarifying that you mean "Fan Dubs" "Fan Dub Parodies" or "Fan Parodies" in the title and have some actual content beyond youtube links in your post so people who can't read before they post don't get confused.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:16 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:it might be worth clarifying that you mean "Fan Dubs" "Fan Dub Parodies" or "Fan Parodies" in the title and have some actual content beyond youtube links in your post so people who can't read before they post don't get confused.
Fanduparodies.

:up:
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Return to “General Anime”