Contest Submission and Attendance

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Crucifixjel
Org Profile

Contest Submission and Attendance

Post by Crucifixjel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:34 am

Hi, I'm new to submitting my amv to any contest and would like some insights on how to do so.

When we submit for contest, we have the option of using FTP, that I understand. Usually, do we have to email the admins first or is there a post somewhere on this site stating the FTP information? Also where can I find the requirements for submitting it? i.e. formats, resolution, size, etc.

Also, if I happen to submit an AMV to a non-local location where the contest is held, am I required to attend or is it optional? i.e. if I win the contest but I'm not there because I don't live in that state or country.

If the contest is held locally in my area, am I still required to attend if I submitted my entry and if I happen to win?

If I must attend, can I send my representative there for me instead of me being there?

Just needed some clarification. :

Thanks.
RIP Studios

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Contest Submission and Attendance

Post by Kionon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am

All of these rules vary by convention and contest, and sometimes from year to year in the same contest at the same convention. You need to read the rules of each contest carefully and direct any questions to the individual contest coordinators.

tl;dr Depends.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 am

Contests have rules written for this very reason. Read them. They also often tell you how to name your files, what's acceptable for content, and what formats are accepted too.

That said, the overwhelming majority of cons nowadays don't have attendence requirements, though some are still cheap enough to not ship awards if you're not there. If you don't see anything about attendance in their rules, you're normally safe to assume no such conditions exist.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Crucifixjel
Org Profile

Post by Crucifixjel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:44 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Contests have rules written for this very reason. Read them. They also often tell you how to name your files, what's acceptable for content, and what formats are accepted too.

That said, the overwhelming majority of cons nowadays don't have attendence requirements, though some are still cheap enough to not ship awards if you're not there. If you don't see anything about attendance in their rules, you're normally safe to assume no such conditions exist.
Where can I find the rules to the contest? at least the general ones?
RIP Studios

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:19 am

Crucifixjel wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Contests have rules written for this very reason. Read them. They also often tell you how to name your files, what's acceptable for content, and what formats are accepted too.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Each contest has its own thread. Rules are generally stated and/or linked within the first post or two.
ImageImage

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

Crucifixjel wrote:

There aren't "general ones" - every contest is run by a different person and have different rules*. They just post info HERE because it's a place where lots of AMV editors spend their time.

* - this isn't entirely true, several people run multiple contests, and some people run contests that don't know what they're doing and they just copy rules from other contests and replace names and dates without knowing why rules were there in the first place.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:57 pm

I am going to regurgitate what's already been stated to emphasize that yes this is what you should do. In this very forum of AMV Contests are several different competitions at different conventions posted, and each contest has it's own set of rules and requirements that vary (but are not limited to) resolutions, file type, age of the video, content, deadlines, previous winners, number of entries, so on and so forth. Many contests have very similar rules (and some, identical as bashar mumbled outloud) but if you don't read each contest carefully you may easily be disqualified for something very minor that you did not notice or took for granted. So be sure to treat each contest thread as its own competition. Good luck! :up:

EDIT: the number one thing i always check first is the contest's DEADLINE.

Crucifixjel
Org Profile

Post by Crucifixjel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Rider4Z wrote:I am going to regurgitate what's already been stated to emphasize that yes this is what you should do. In this very forum of AMV Contests are several different competitions at different conventions posted, and each contest has it's own set of rules and requirements that vary (but are not limited to) resolutions, file type, age of the video, content, deadlines, previous winners, number of entries, so on and so forth. Many contests have very similar rules (and some, identical as bashar mumbled outloud) but if you don't read each contest carefully you may easily be disqualified for something very minor that you did not notice or took for granted. So be sure to treat each contest thread as its own competition. Good luck! :up:

EDIT: the number one thing i always check first is the contest's DEADLINE.
Thanks. :D
RIP Studios

Return to “AMV Contests”