AWA Editors Roast 2012

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime conventions, and for the exchanging of rides to, and rooms at, conventions.

Re: AWA Editors Roast 2012

Postby ngsilver » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:The magic word(s) is "testosterone shot," but a box of crackers will suffice in a pinch

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!?!?!!?!?
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby l33tmeatwad » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:16 pm

ngsilver wrote:
Mr Pilkington wrote:The magic word(s) is "testosterone shot," but a box of crackers will suffice in a pinch

That's what she said...lol
Guides, Scripts, & Software: AMV 101 | AMVpack | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
l33tmeatwad

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:46 pm

ngsilver wrote:

Well, you see, sometimes Lunchables.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby mexicanjunior » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:The problem is the guest needs some time to build his/her retort. I could make the window smaller. Say, practice mid-day with final that evening. This would basically force that to happen anyway. There has been other stated interest in the Thursday night project and a lot of "meh" from that I am hearing. I'd like to build this into an annual event for AWA that you guys can come to enjoy. It's been rocky, but I think we're on our way to a winning recipe. Any more input?

Video will hopefully be up this weekend.

People that are roast possibilities:
  • MJ
  • Tommy & Sommer :ying:
  • Ileia (I want to make this happen some day)
  • Kewp
  • dicknugget
  • Sommer by herself
  • ??

Who do you guys want to see?

I love roasts, I would happily sit up there and take the punishment. You could pretty much rip this to shreds for several hours...

http://youtu.be/f5zHTNnIvAY
mexicanjunior

Postby The Wired Knight » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:The problem is the guest needs some time to build his/her retort. I could make the window smaller. Say, practice mid-day with final that evening. This would basically force that to happen anyway. There has been other stated interest in the Thursday night project and a lot of "meh" from that I am hearing. I'd like to build this into an annual event for AWA that you guys can come to enjoy. It's been rocky, but I think we're on our way to a winning recipe. Any more input?

Video will hopefully be up this weekend.

People that are roast possibilities:
  • MJ
  • Tommy & Sommer :ying:
  • Ileia (I want to make this happen some day)
  • Kewp
  • dicknugget
  • Sommer by herself
  • ??

Who do you guys want to see?

I forsee this being a problem.

One you put a HUGE time constraint on basically everything that day, getting badges, rehearsing, making certain we are back from dinner on time, prepping the room. This is especially true if you want to have a rehearsal the same day which a lot of editors don't get there till pretty close to dinner, and we lose some people to VAT setup (Jingoro, Vlad and Brakus to name three). Any editors coming in late won't make a rehearsal and I don't like the idea of having dinner while obsessively watching a clock.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
The Wired Knight

Postby Castor Troy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:11 pm

I nominate Todd/Fallchild, but he'll see it as more of a tribute.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby ngsilver » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't know what the logistics of this would entail, but perhaps the solution here would be to turn the roast into a part of the dinner. Of course to do this we most likely wouldn't be able to hold the roast/dinner in any specific restaurant, instead it would need to be some time of rented space most likely and then the dinner would need to be brought it from somewhere.

So yeah, it's a lot of extra planning and what not that would need to go into this. But I think this is eventually where this kind of an event would naturally progress especially if we are to make this into a staple event for AWA each year.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby drewaconclusion » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:08 pm

ngsilver wrote:

That about sums up all the roast rehearsals.
Image ImageImageImage Image
Image Image Image
drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...

Postby l33tmeatwad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:33 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:
ngsilver wrote:

That about sums up all the roast rehearsals.

F***TARD! :asd:
Guides, Scripts, & Software: AMV 101 | AMVpack | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
l33tmeatwad

Postby Mr Pilkington » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 pm

ngsilver wrote:I don't know what the logistics of this would entail, but perhaps the solution here would be to turn the roast into a part of the dinner. Of course to do this we most likely wouldn't be able to hold the roast/dinner in any specific restaurant, instead it would need to be some time of rented space most likely and then the dinner would need to be brought it from somewhere.

So yeah, it's a lot of extra planning and what not that would need to go into this. But I think this is eventually where this kind of an event would naturally progress especially if we are to make this into a staple event for AWA each year.

Don't pretend like you didn't overhear our master plan :nono:

Actually this would be a lot of fun imho. I figure there are some people that might not been keen on the roast so we'd give an hour to seat, eat and mingle, then circa 9 put on the show. There are 2 major issues with this as stated before:

First and most important, would we be able to get people to stay for the roast in roughly the same numbers we pull for dinner? Would an event like this be a "selling point" so to speak on getting more people to AWA? I really want to hear answers on this one because it will make/break a lot of how next years event goes down.

2nd is setup like Sean pointed out. But that's something Jingoro, Vlad and I would have to work out. Don't worry about that yourselves, that my job as the coordinator.
<Orwell> WTF are they doing upstairs. Almost sounds like construction
<[Kristyrat]> Orwell, you see / <[Kristyrat]> when a man really likes a woman / <[Kristyrat]> or has a bottle of chloroform
<inthesto> He takes her stuff / <inthesto> And then poops in her vagina
Mr Pilkington

Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!

Postby drewaconclusion » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:08 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:F***TARD! :asd:

You really liked that line didn't you?
Image Image Image
drewaconclusion

Postby Shin-AMV » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:[*]Tommy & Sommer :ying:

OMG YES.
DIBS on roastmaster for that <.<
Shin-AMV

Postby drewaconclusion » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:

OMG YES.
If that's the case, you might as well just make it Sommer only. No one knows who the hell Tommy is.
Image Image Image
drewaconclusion

Postby GuntherAMVs » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:39 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:

OMG YES.
If that's the case, you might as well just make it Sommer only. No one knows who the hell Tommy is.

Okay, whoa whoa whoa! x'DDDDD
HOW did I get on the Roast Radar?! x'DDDDD
I'd bust all the microphones out if we did that x'DD
I practically got roasted THIS year~! x'DDDDDDDDDD
LIVE YOUR ART. LOVE YOUR LIFE.
GuntherAMVs
Mistress of Cocaine.

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:13 am

No offense, but I think it'd be better to broaden the group a bit and not stick to the same general "group" of the community as it were. It'd also be good to do someone that's a more established (older) member of the comunity.

As to reception, I sat in front pretty much, so I didn't exactly get a feel for how normal atendees reacted. In general, the format is what it needs to be, to be a roast. The in-joke-ness is going to be a part of it no matter what. That's part of what a roast is. It normally relies on the people involved being famous, though. To really change the formula would be to no longer have it be a roast; you'd stray too far from the basic formula. This might seem like a strange concept since the AWA forums are horribly dead compared with the con forums I normally post on, but asking for feedback from the general population might be worthwild. Not saying you should change the event to please them, but if most of them didn't get it or didn't like it, you have all the ammo you need to just make it an editor only type of thing.

As to the location - Any resturants have function event space? I know the Italian place did, but I don't know how big it is and if that would work wrt needing staging and the like. There is something strangely appealing to the dinner and a show comedy club type atmosphere for this.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

PreviousNext

Return to Anime Conventions