Editor Needed! - album release ($100 Job - $50 up front)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
LandingForce
Org Profile

Editor Needed! - album release ($100 Job - $50 up front)

Post by LandingForce » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm a DJ looking to commission an amv editor to help promote my new album. If you're not a fan of electronic music, this job probably isn't for you.

However, if you do like electronic music of a variety of styles, please consider my proposal. I've created a 65 min mixtape featuring influences from a variety of genres (dubstep, breakbeat, techno, etc...) and I'm willing to pay AT LEAST $100 to anyone who can skillfully craft an amv to ANY portion of the mix. You'd be free to use any shows of your choice, but I'm looking for shows / scenes that fit the aggressive, futuristic, edgy / high-tech mood of the mix. Multi-show amvs preferred. Looking for good use of effects.

No deadlines, but I'm hoping to complete this by about the end of October. If you are interested, please post a link to some of your best work, and I'll select someone for the job. Payment would be $50 up front and $50 upon completion.

Preview the mixtape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKfnroCHmig

Full release:
http://soundcloud.com/landingforce/levels-of-tension

LandingForce
Org Profile

Re: Editor Needed! - album release ($100 Job - $50 up front

Post by LandingForce » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Please note this video will not be sold or used for profit. The mixtape is a free release and I simply would like an amv as a unique visual experience to help spread the word. I know commissioning amvs is a touchy issue, but I simply do not have the time, skill, or resources to create one myself. I am simply offering payment for your time, not to buy anyone's footage.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:31 pm

It might have been smarter if you had presented this as a multi-editor project, called it something fitting your theme and giving a deadline for proofs of concept, betas, and final videos. Depending on how you cut the tracks, I think there might be people willing to work on it for free, assuming the music is yours, that's an interesting MEP concept which isn't (often? ever?) done.

The two problems I see with paying for "just the time," and the reason why "commissioning amvs is a touchy issue" is because we really, really, really don't want to piss off the anime companies. And I am primarily concerned with Japanese companies. The US companies allow amvs for noncommercial purposes with a wink, wink nudge, nudge, but Japanese companies don't respect AMVs (or homegrown M@Ds) the way they respect doujinshi. It's a shame, but it's true. On the flip side, it's a genuine political debate here. The LDP has argued for a specific "safe space" for fan creative works which includes doujinshi and amvs/M@Ds, but the DPJ (as evidenced by the recent download law change) is very strict and the DPJ are in power (and ultimately, my own views are that the DPJ is generally the party more in line with my own views, but they suck at copyright reform).

The second is that is if you're showing this MEP-like vide at a location where someone is getting paid for someone (you're being paid to DJ, you're at a club being paid for drinks, etc) then you've gone from noncommercial to commercial, and if you've actually paid an editor (or editors) to complete the video used, this will support the argument that you made a financial investment in copyright infringement with the intent to profit later at your shows, etc. Heck, if you even support yourself/your music based on donations, if the video seems to be a part of an increase in donations, again this could be seen as using the video for commercial purposes. In that case, even the American companies might have to come after you because of how current (shitty) copyright works and the requirement to "use it or lose it" in case of protection.

I'd be very, very careful about how you proceed with this, and as much as many of us would love the spare cash, especially those of us who or are have been paid for editing, I think you're walking into a potential minefield.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

LandingForce
Org Profile

Post by LandingForce » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:01 pm

I really appreciate your reply, and I will keep everything you said in consideration.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:04 am

Kionon wrote:I think you're walking into a potential minefield.
If its a potential minefield, then let it burn!! :twisted:

But, on a serious note, my best advice is what Kionon suggested: Coordinate a Multi Editor Project(MEP) in the "Multi Editor Projects" thread (*Click Here*) and find a video editor that you believe can help make the process faster and easier. Just start your own thread and just start the topic with the name of the MEP and an "Interest Gauge" at the end (-MEP Name- Interest Gauge) <---- The Heading, and include that its your own music and that you need a video editor to help you coordinate the MEP as well in the description box. Include the theme and see how many editors would be interested in editing the whole mix... which, I don't think would be the best idea because there might be a lot of editors who just won't turn in a part, or just a portion of the mix that you like and that you think everyone else would like to edit with.

Anyway, simply put, I would suggest finding a segment of the song that's enjoyable, post a topic that says "-insert MEP name- Interest Gauge", wait for a good potential MEP coordinator to show up that would like to help out, and learn from him/her on what you can do to make the process fast and easy for both of you :3

Hope this helps.... and, if you have to pay someone.... Then let the minefield burn!!! :twisted:

LandingForce
Org Profile

Post by LandingForce » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:44 am

Thank you for your replies and helpful advice. I wasn't planning to make an amv for the entire 65 min, as I doubt anyone would want to sit through it that long xD But yes, the idea is to pull some select portions from it, and make a 5 min video at most. But I will coordinate a multi-editor project as you suggested.

Return to “General AMV”