Mac VS PC

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
digifreak
Org Profile

Mac VS PC

Post by digifreak » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:40 am

Okay, so I've done plenty of ripping DVDs and DBs and editing on PCs with Sony Vegas. Right now I'm taking an Adobe Premiere class and am working on an amv for one of my projects. My question is, since I'm still a little unfamiliar with what file types Premiere will accept on Macs vs PCs, what is the best way to rip footage losslessly to edit in Premiere. At home I have both a Mac and a PC (planning on downloading the trial of Premiere for now). At school (where I will be editing) we have both as well (thought I think my prof prefers I edit on Mac). So should I just do it like I normally do: avi with UT? Or is there a better way if I'm using a Mac? I guess I'm only really asking because I'm still working on fixing my PC right now and would rather rip and encode the footage on a Mac if I can.

digifreak
Org Profile

Re: Mac VS PC

Post by digifreak » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Oh yeah, and we use CS5.5 at school.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:02 pm

If it's for school, you might to stick with what format your teacher suggests, even if it is suboptimal (chances are he might suggest using mpeg streamclip as a converting software... I already shiver at the thought :sweat: ).
However generally speaking, utvideo is the go-to solution, yes, considering it works both in windows and os x and is lossless and fast.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:20 pm

My preferences are PC because you are probably more used to the PC keyboard instead of having Command and other wierd stuff.

digifreak
Org Profile

Post by digifreak » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks! Yeah, he doesn't care what we use. He actually just told us to use pictures, but I'm mad that the school is making me pay for this class when I already know how to use Premiere, so I'm just gonna show everyone up with the first project :P

I may need to wait a few days to fix my PC though. Is there anything I can use on Mac to convert VOBs to UT avis? I tried Crossover, but it's being really buggy...

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:50 pm

I'd suggest converting footage on windows. Mac currently lacks *good* native software, so you'd be resorting to wine or crossover to get windows software running.

The future native alternative is to use vapoursynth but for the time being you'd have to build it from the source and it's kinda early to adopt it, I'd say. I'm actually tempted to hold off on the newer avtech (and actually basically am...) because with vapoursynth in play I'd have to make a newer one since I'd be able to write a mostly cross-OS guide, which would be a great addition to the site.

Return to “Adobe Software”