What Are You Editing? II

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Melanchthon
Org Profile

Re: What Are You Editing? II

Post by Melanchthon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 pm

ngsilver wrote:Wow, I have been really shitty at finishing videos I had planned.
I don't plan. :P

Currently editing a video using a rather more mellow cover of Xiu Xiu's 'Apistat Commander'. The anime has the emotional tone to be able to work with the highly-strung original, but the footage itself is all wrong for what I want to do.

Title:
Source: Trigun (series)
Audio: Sunset Rubdown - Apistat Commander

I've gotten about 1.20 done after fifteen days, the last two of which were spent trying to think of what clip/object to place next. Betas are not an option -- that 1.20 is scattered over 6 minutes, some clips have been left to run long simply because there's nothing to put after them yet, some parts haven't had the in-scene cuts properly timed... I'm not too worried about that. The first video I did had a character(?) roaring and finishing off clawing her way out of an enemy as the instrumental started, and I wasn't much impressed with it, but rather late in the editing that was replaced with a cut to her roaring during a different battle and leading into a thematic section for the instrumental which I think went very well. So, you know, something presents itself sooner or later.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Melanchthon wrote:
ngsilver wrote:Wow, I have been really shitty at finishing videos I had planned.
I don't plan. :P
I don't either, at least in the sense of actually planning out what is going to happen in a video. The most I generally plan is, ooo, I have an idea for a song and anime pairing, sounds good, let me write it down and plan to work on it when the mood strikes me.
ImageImageImageImage

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:51 pm

I actually do plan. A lot. In fact, I should do a sticky on storyboarding. In an ideal setting (which isn't always possible considering contests), I have way more than vague ideas. As a song first editor (primarily), what happens is a hear a song and my mind "chooses" a show for background video in my head. Usually, if it's anime I know very well (like Utena), I can actually be very, very specific. This allows to me jot down the scenes for each lyric I need.

This is followed by snapshots during scrubbing of the footage to make sure what I imagined really is in the anime. This is how I build a storyboard. After storyboarding, comes clipping. I usually prefer to fill timelines prior to editing based on the storyboarding, but this isn't always possible, especially when working with deadlines. Only when the timeline is filled do I go back and start addressing the issues of beat sync, transitions, and effects. Lyric sync is almost always my primary motivator.

If the video matches what I remember seeing in my head (within reason, allowing for the fact human memory is flawed and as a creative endeavor, such "mind-storyboarding" creates scenes not in the original source), then I have been successful and the video is completed and released. One of the biggest mental "humps" I suppose I have is my problem taking very good beta feedback because the feedback calls for altering "the vision."

...I've also been known to rotoscope or draw scenes not found in the anime just to make sure my vision is not too compromised. The biggest issue there, especially for drama videos, is to make sure such additions are not obvious.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 am

On the docket for today:
Updated State Farm end tag
Finishing 2 of 8 spots for Associated Bank with Aaron Rodgers
Continuing work on pitch frames for super-secret-awesome main title sequence
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks to incredibly stupid clients that forget to bring in information about vast sums of money, I seem to be editing this more than anything.

Oh, you mean AMVs? Wait, I edit? D:

Title: Tomorrow is the Yesterday of Today (Remastered & Remixed)
Source: Angel Beats
Song: Journey to the Past, Aaliyah
Started work: ~Feb 2012
Betas: Not yet
Info: So... One of my favorite videos I ever did was this one. However, I edited with a fansub since the DVDs weren't out. Now that I have the DVDs, I want to remaster this and re-work it into a different style. Modernize it a bit? I dunno. It's hard, because I've got this picture of what this AMV is, and I don't want the SAME video, I want something better. >_< This was going to be my AWA Pro entry this year, but the Disney MEP didn't really make this possible. I was then going to use this for Akross, but I'm pretty sure I'm out of that one too. Soooooo, this will likely just be a side project.

Title: Breaking Bad
Source: ????
Song: (Secret...)
Started work: Storyboarding since last month.
Betas: No.
Info: This is a personal/fun project. Not really for beta, this is for my own enjoyment as an editor. Without going into detail, It's going to be a triology of AMVs centering around the concept of "breaking bad" (the actual act of going into the darkness, not the television show).

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:19 pm

Title: The Ballad of Stephanie II: Whirlyball Chronicles
Source: Murai Nikki
Song: Call me Maybe
Started work: Today
Betas: eventually >_>
Info: DIDNEY WORL :B

Title: Yes I am Cool!
Source: Tiger & Bunny
Song: Gossip Man by G Dragon
Started work: sometime ago
Betas: nope
Info: Rotoscoping old foe, we meet again

Title: [undecided]
Source: 3DS Max
Song: I can't tell you! HaHaHaHaHa
Started work: Oct 2, 2011
Betas: the animatic floats about the web on a single thread of lies
Info: Bringing the most amazing manga ever to life!

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:47 pm

Kionon wrote:I actually do plan. A lot. In fact, I should do a sticky on storyboarding.
That might be a good idea. Written plans aren't the most rewarding things to look at compared to placed video, and a lot less tangible, but if you know there's a process then maybe it's easier to stick with it during the initial learning period.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 am

Had an idea for Otome Amnesia...I have too many AMV ideas that I need to just stop being so precious with and edit and get done. As part of a recent "get editors who haven't made anything in awhile to make stuff" and "let's make a video before the new year," I think I'll just crank some stuff out.

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:48 am

ZephyrStar wrote: As part of a recent "get editors who haven't made anything in awhile to make stuff" and "let's make a video before the new year," I think I'll just crank some stuff out.
This plan can result in nothing less than awesome

Return to “General Discussion”