AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
SailorDeath
Org Profile

Re: AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Post by SailorDeath » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:34 pm

kholaras wrote: As other people are mentioning, there are few hard-fast rules/guidelines for that kind of thing. Running the computer years ago I made one or two bad judgement calls when given the opportunity that came back to bite me/the department and I've tended to err a little more on the side of caution since. I watched the vid for the first time Friday at Jingoro's request and, not knowing the source or anything else about the vid, I suggested that it not be run in main. Yes, it's censored in both directions, but what good does that do really? It's the implication vs the literal. It DID get run during one of the other blocks Friday I believe (I could pull the player logs but I don't have the energy) with an announced disclaimer but that's the difference between our own room and main. Was it hentai/R content that needed banishment to 4am in a carded room? No. But not something that should (in my opinion, and the fact that Jingoro was even questioning it considering he's got more relaxed standards than I've developed speaks volumes) run in main in the middle of the day either.

We might have erred on the side of caution, but it's hard to take something like that back if you show it and there ARE complaints.
Lest we forget the famous "Freakshow" incident that happened back in the early days of amvs.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm starting to forget why the idea of combining Pro and Masters came up in the first place :uhoh:
Lord Rae wrote:I was actually kind of surprised that motherlover that won for best comedy in pro couldn't be screened. There was no nudity, all the audio was bleeped and even the graphics were censored. Add on the fact that the song was from Saturday night live so essentially basic cable friendly (albeit late night) and I was kind of shocked.

I understand that main events is different than the late night blocks and even the vat... but still it came off a bit silly although I know often such decisions are out of the hands of Jingoro and crew.
just my two cents about this, as stryyder and i are the coordinators for the anime vegas contest, we too decided to DQ Mother's Day Special. personally we both love it and think it's edited amazingly, but the suggestion of little boys "loving" adult women is too extreme a theme for us to allow it in :( and actually, hearing AWA didn't play it either makes me more comfortable about our decision. (and trust me, we debated over it for days cuz we really would love to show it.)

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:44 pm

kholaras wrote:
Lord Rae wrote:I was actually kind of surprised that motherlover that won for best comedy in pro couldn't be screened. There was no nudity, all the audio was bleeped and even the graphics were censored. Add on the fact that the song was from Saturday night live so essentially basic cable friendly (albeit late night) and I was kind of shocked.
As other people are mentioning, there are few hard-fast rules/guidelines for that kind of thing. Running the computer years ago I made one or two bad judgement calls when given the opportunity that came back to bite me/the department and I've tended to err a little more on the side of caution since. I watched the vid for the first time Friday at Jingoro's request and, not knowing the source or anything else about the vid, I suggested that it not be run in main. Yes, it's censored in both directions, but what good does that do really? It's the implication vs the literal. It DID get run during one of the other blocks Friday I believe (I could pull the player logs but I don't have the energy) with an announced disclaimer but that's the difference between our own room and main. Was it hentai/R content that needed banishment to 4am in a carded room? No. But not something that should (in my opinion, and the fact that Jingoro was even questioning it considering he's got more relaxed standards than I've developed speaks volumes) run in main in the middle of the day either.

We might have erred on the side of caution, but it's hard to take something like that back if you show it and there ARE complaints.
I happened to agree with Lord Rae on this one. I first saw this during Otakon pre-screenings, which basically is a bunch of AMV editors getting together on a Saturday to watch all the entries, and we howled with laughter. Otakon had no problems showing it in the contest proper, especially after having this (and all other entries) screened by Otakon's lawyers for content issues and such. The ballot on the back says "Certain videos may contain violent or suggestively sexual scenes, but there is nothing that we couldn't get away with on network television." Otakon's audience is (I guess) different than AWA's audience.... although I'm sure the Russian audience is worlds different, given their online reaction to this video. Go ask l33tm33twad about that story.

I understand that every convention is different, and there's a balancing act about whether to allow certain entries in the contest or not, or whether to screen them in Main Events or not. I just found it unfortunate that we couldn't screen this video at all (?) at the convention.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Just so some of you know, they did allow me to screen it during my creator spotlight. Also, it is the video I mentioned last year at awa when I said "My entry for next year will be bad, expect WRONGNESS!"
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:38 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Just so some of you know, they did allow me to screen it during my creator spotlight. Also, it is the video I mentioned last year at awa when I said "My entry for next year will be bad, expect WRONGNESS!"
and that's the whole point and what makes it so funny :ying: plus of course... dbz. rock on meatwad :up:

Lord Rae
Org Profile

Post by Lord Rae » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Yeah I understand the reasoning for not screening it during the awards bit and I'm certainly not complaining because I don't have a dog in that fight and if the creator is ok with it what can I say? ... it was just a bit jarring for me that something that played on network tv (although without dbz kids) wasn't ok to show but a few videos after it was skipped there was a ghost in the shell video with full on naked breasts albeit only for a moment. Just saying... again doesn't bother me and I know there are a ton of factors that go into what you can and can't show. Just wanted to comment.

So back to Masters...

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Lord Rae wrote:Yeah I understand the reasoning for not screening it during the awards bit and I'm certainly not complaining because I don't have a dog in that fight and if the creator is ok with it what can I say? ... it was just a bit jarring for me that something that played on network tv (although without dbz kids) wasn't ok to show but a few videos after it was skipped there was a ghost in the shell video with full on naked breasts albeit only for a moment. Just saying... again doesn't bother me and I know there are a ton of factors that go into what you can and can't show. Just wanted to comment.
just continuing on that comment... (lol sorry) i'll just use an example to explain the difference. Titanic is PG-13. Kate Winslet's bare chest is visible only during the art scene. You'll notice when her and dicaprio are making love her chest is covered. the scene of Ghost in the Shell is all about the construction of her anatomy, no sexual innuendo.

Consider the image of a mother giving milk to her newborn baby. Is that sexual content? only to the perverse i hope.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
Lord Rae wrote:Yeah I understand the reasoning for not screening it during the awards bit and I'm certainly not complaining because I don't have a dog in that fight and if the creator is ok with it what can I say? ... it was just a bit jarring for me that something that played on network tv (although without dbz kids) wasn't ok to show but a few videos after it was skipped there was a ghost in the shell video with full on naked breasts albeit only for a moment. Just saying... again doesn't bother me and I know there are a ton of factors that go into what you can and can't show. Just wanted to comment.
just continuing on that comment... (lol sorry) i'll just use an example to explain the difference. Titanic is PG-13. Kate Winslet's bare chest is visible only during the art scene. You'll notice when her and dicaprio are making love her chest is covered. the scene of Ghost in the Shell is all about the construction of her anatomy, no sexual innuendo.

Consider the image of a mother giving milk to her newborn baby. Is that sexual content? only to the perverse i hope.
However, on actual broadcast and cable TV, ratings are all about what is actually shown and actually said, not what is implied or inferred. That distinction is what keeps SNL on the air. That very distinction is what has shaped sexual humor on television in the US. Artificially censoring non-offensive things to make them funnier even became a meme on the late night network talk shows. It's generally understood that if you censor it, it's fair game. The FCC won't touch it. Even if it's blatantly obvious what's being censored.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 pm

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=49443 >

And it was best sentimental. Was that a challenge?

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:However, on actual broadcast and cable TV, ratings are all about what is actually shown and actually said, not what is implied or inferred. That distinction is what keeps SNL on the air. That very distinction is what has shaped sexual humor on television in the US. Artificially censoring non-offensive things to make them funnier even became a meme on the late night network talk shows. It's generally understood that if you censor it, it's fair game. The FCC won't touch it. Even if it's blatantly obvious what's being censored.
so in your opinion, do you think Mother's Day Special could make it past television censors?

Return to “AMV Contests”