AWA Editors Roast 2012

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Re: AWA Editors Roast 2012

Post by Mr Pilkington » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:24 am

Shin-AMV wrote:pics/vids or it didn't happen <.<
Can't post things like that here. :aimkissyface:

ReggieSmalls wrote:I had fun yelling stuff out at the back of the room.
You were killing me :rofl:

I would to publicly thank Kit, Nate, Sommer, Tommy and Drew for their hard work making this happen. Todd, our roast master was awesome and I personally found him phenomenal! A special thanks to Erik for being our "surprise" guest and token angry black guy. Extra thanks to Jingoro, Vlad and the rest of the VAT staff for allowing us to even make this happen. But most of all, a big BIG thx to Shin for being a good sport and dealing with our verbal abuse. |:>
Last edited by Mr Pilkington on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mr Pilkington
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Shy of getting cut off due to length, what were some opinions of the roast based on people that were there?
I'll work hard to have the video on youtube this weekend for the rest of you :up:

Likes? Dislikes? (please keep this constructive, those involved spent a very long time working on their bits and are not, by any means, professional comedians)

Is there anyone you would like to see roasted in then event that we revisit this?

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:those involved spent a very long time working on their bits and are not, by any means, professional comedians
Yeah, we're all about the amateurish quality. 8-)
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:57 pm

I thought the roast was fun, except for the part with that one guy who wasn't funny :p

As an amv creator, I thought it was a really fun event.
But I think for anyone on the outside (regular con-goers), it probably just looks like a whole bunch of inside jokes. Since its presented as something on the regular schedule for convention attendees to come and watch, I am really curious what those types of people thought about it. Maybe it would work better as more of a private gathering.

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I thought the roast was fun, except for the part with that one guy who wasn't funny :p
Awww... poor Todd.
ImageImage

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:49 pm

That was always my concern when brainstorming the roast. To that end it's been a battle to try to find the right balance on content for it. This is always how I've viewed the roast and if you have any suggestions feel free to share them.

1. Videos - Every roaster is to pick a video of the roasted. Their commentary should be based on BOTH the editor himself and the video they chose. I haven't quite figured out the ratio of one to the other just yet but this not only gives a video for the audience to watch but some humerous tearing into the video itself.

2. Explenation - Inside stories NEED to be explained, or at least shown so the audience can follow it. If it falls down to just inside jokes then only editors will find the humor and the audience will just sit there dumbfounded. It's either that or it is just pot shots that are generic enough to find funny without knowing about the person. I.e. in Shin's case there was the whole pedophilia angle, pedo jokes are easy but by the point they start showing up in the roast the audience should have seen enough of Shin's work to get that he watches and edits to A LOT of anime involving little girls - this gives them enough knowledge about the person to make the joke more personal and less generic.

In shor tthe problem with these roasts as opposed to, say, comedy central ones, is less knowledge of the person. Audiences know a lot about who Comedy Central roasts because celebrity gossip is constant and always in the news so it's easy to pick instances from a person's life to make fun of. This is not true with editors at all since we are mostly an invisible bunch when it comes to the general audience. We get into antics the other editors are aware of but aidences are generlaly not aware of who made what videos over time. This is why I feel that jokes need to be explained if it's inside OR the personal jokes need to be tied to the editor by means of the videos which SHOWS the audience what the editor is like via a reflection of his style.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote: Is there anyone you would like to see roasted in then event that we revisit this?
Dual roast Sommer and Tommy.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Mr Pilkington
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Zarxrax wrote:As an amv creator, I thought it was a really fun event.
But I think for anyone on the outside (regular con-goers), it probably just looks like a whole bunch of inside jokes. Since its presented as something on the regular schedule for convention attendees to come and watch, I am really curious what those types of people thought about it. Maybe it would work better as more of a private gathering.
We tried damn hard to make it relatively universal, but in the end the feedback I kept getting from the general public was that of confusion. A private gathering strictly for the editors was a thought but would require a number of special considerations. Would you guys be opposed to doing the roast after the dinner in Thursday night? This would alleviate the time constraints that we wound up with this year but would have to push the dinner forward an hour. Plus I'd need to find the space which would require other special considerations. I'm up to the work to make something like that happen if you guys would be willing to attend. I'd basically need similar numbers to what we pull for the dinner. Would holding a more privatized event prior to the actual con change anyone's plans to attend?

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Venue is a huge problem for that though. As much as I'd like to say we do it as a sort of demi-opening to the VAT the trouble is that the VAT generally isn't complete at that time and too much sound testing gets in the way of the roast (as we noted during the rehersal). Moving dinner up an hour isn't too bad an idea but that means we do have to leave it at a certain time and some people may not be able to get their reg materials in time at that rate.

I don't think we can ever completley eliminate the confusion unless we adhere strictly to the videos which would just be AMV nitpicking (or something similar to another event I'm trying to plan out).
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Mr Pilkington
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:21 am

Venue is my issue to figure out. What I really want to know is, will a Thursday night roast (circa 10pm) put butts in seats?

That means dinner is pushed forward to 8pm and less time for badge grabbing, but epic :amv: times

Return to “Anime Conventions”