VirtualDub and new codecs

TheJadeArcAngel
Org Profile

VirtualDub and new codecs

Post by TheJadeArcAngel » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:04 am

So, thanks to those who posted and PM'd about the issue I was having previously with VD and .MKV files.

So, now I am able to load .MKV files into VD and I can scroll through, find points, etc...

My question is, how do I get more codecs installed?! I have found packs, individual installs, etc...

All I have been able to get installed in a Lagarith codec, however that produces 4+ GB files for around 3 minutes of material. Is that normal? It seems a smidge insane, IMO, but then again I am used to what editing was like years, and years ago. So, there ya go ...

Are the H. codecs still the best option for size and quality? Has something new come along?

TheJadeArcAngel
Org Profile

Re: VirtualDub and new codecs

Post by TheJadeArcAngel » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Also, I was a good approximation of Lagarith files should be appx. 1 GB for every 5 minutes.

My files are coming out 8+GB for 5 minutes. This is with the size being 640 x 3---ish.

Any ideas why this is so skewed?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Re: VirtualDub and new codecs

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Lagarith depends on the content for filesize. Any averaging is based purely on the level of detail the most common anime footage has. There is no formular for Lagarith based on resolution or whatever. As for installing codecs, pretty much read the README file that came with any codec, and avoid all packs other than CCCP which doesn't contain what you'd likely want anyway.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”