Yaoicon 2012 Rules

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Yaoicon 2012 Rules

Post by The Wired Knight » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:48 am

There are currently some problems with the webpage which is delaying the rules going up "officially" so I am putting them up here right now. Please let all you know know that the rules are up.

The theme this year is "The Far East" - please see rules for description.
Winners

All winners will get nifty certificates. Titles and creator names (or pseudonyms) of winning videos will be posted on the Yaoi-Con website after the contest, and winners have the option of allowing their websites linked from ours (indicate preference on the entry form). Awards should be presented during the Cosplay Intermission (Actual date and time of award presentations is tba, please check back for updates)

Judging

Yaoi-Con Attendees will view the videos at the convention and will vote on awards for Best Shounen-Ai/Romance, Best Comedy, Best Drama, Best Action, and Audience Favorite.

Technical Judges will view the videos before the convention and decide on awards for Best Matching Theme and Best Technical.

Technical judges will be made up of a combination of some Yaoi-Con Staff and some non-professional Music Video makers from the field of American tv show vidders.

Theme

The theme this year is "The Far East" celebrating the culture and history from all over asia. From the story of the three kingdoms and the warring states period to the bakumatsu and sengoku era. A celebration of the bishies of the past in China, Japanand all over the continent. (Please keep in mind that this being "yaoi-con" that all "relationships" must still fit the yaoi category, yet this theme does not explicitly mean that "feelings" must be love.)

Please note that the theme and shounen-ai/yaoi footage is considered an “either/or” setup. You are free to enter a video that is either based around the contest “theme” or is of “shounen-ai/yaoi” nature, or both if you wish.

M/M sexual content will be accepted and can be explicit if shown (this is an 18+ convention). However, no m/f or f/f sexual content will be accepted.

Excessive violence is discouraged and major violence in videos will only be accepted if it truly fits in with the theme and the categories. (Please note that 'gore' is not among the listed categories.)

Please email the AMV Coordinator (amv@yaoicon.com) with any questions.

Categories

The creator(s) of the video must select a category for their video.
The available categories are:
- comedy
- drama
- romance
- action

Submission Rules

Please attempt to limit the length of each video to 7 minutes. Included in this time would be any notes or titles you wish to include with your video. If you feel that your video needs to exceed this limit, please include a short note explaining why. We will accept the tape and the Yaoi-Con Staff will determine if the situation is valid. Not included in this time should be a one to two second leader and trailer of nothing but a blank screen (this makes creating the con copy a simpler process).

Footage used in the video should be from anime series/movies/OAVs and keep with the convention or contest theme or be of shounen-ai/yaoi nature. In order to qualify for awards, the videos should be matched with music. Videos containing footage from video games and/or live action cinema will likely be disqualified from winning awards but may still be shown as an "exhibition only" video.

All entries become the property of Yaoi-Con and will not be returned to the creator(s). So, please, give us great copies, not masters.

All submitted videos are assumed to be cleared by the creator(s) for display purposes.

No more than five (5) entries per creator will be accepted. No exceptions. We cannot guarantee that all entries will be shown, due to time constraints, but every effort will be made to show as many selected entries as possible.

Failure to follow these rules will result with us either only using the first entry on the tape or complete disqualification.

1. Entries should be submitted on a CD or DVD data disc. This is to better facilitate making the contest master DVD.

2. For online submissions please use websites such as yousendit or depositfiles or mediashare and send to thewiredknight@hotmail.com AND amv@yaoicon.com - entry form txt files should be sent in a seperate e-mail to the aforementioned addresses.

3. Videos are to be uploaded in AVI, or MPG - no exceptions

4. Even if you are still submitting online, please be sure to e-mail a txt or snail mail a printed copy of your entry form for all purposes.

5. If you have any questions feel free to contact AMV contest staff.

Please note that while digital entries and mail-in entries are accepted, digital media disc is the preferred form of submission. If you wish to enter digitally, files are recommended to be 720x480 AVIs preferably encoded in HuffyUV video codec or MPEG2 files. For audio, be certain to normalize your audio (For guides conccerning this please see http://www.animemusicvideos.org). If you have any problems encoding with this please send an e-mail to the contest coordinator.

Yaoi-Con and its judging methods are final. Prizes will be awarded only to those in attendance at the convention, though any submission will be entered for the contest. Certificates and web-banners will be mailed to non-attending winners. All other prizes (if any) will only be distributed at the convention itself.

Proxies may claim prizes for non-attending winners with a signed proxy form (please visit our website for a copy of the form).

Please label (print or type) your tape with your real name, email address, and the video's title.

On a separate sheet of paper, please submit:
- your real name
- pseudonym for publication release
- snail mail address
- email address
- indicate yes/no for website linking (include url if yes)
- submission type
- song title & artist
- name of video
- name(s) of anime footage used
- Category under which you wish your video to be judged under (comedy, drama etc etc)

Include this form with your video. If submitting via the online submission process, you must mail in the form to the address listed below or attach a txt file to an e-mail for the contest coordinator.

Entries must be postmarked by September 23rd and recieved no later than September 30th. Online submissions must be sent by September 30th unless a prior arrangement has been made.No entries will be accepted at the door.

Online Submissions

For those who wish to submit online please go to http://www.yousendit.com (YSI) http://www.depositfiles.com or http://www.mediashare.com and use their tools to upload and send your video to the contest coordinator at BOTH amv@yaoicon.com and thewiredknight@hotmail.com. Please note that video sent using YSI MUST be under one gigabyte in size (so we suggest using mpeg-2 for best quality or using a program such as WinRAR in order to upload larger files). Mediashare and DepositFiles have a larger file limit. After you upload your video file, send a second e-mail that contains a text attachment with all the entry information as dictated above. Please note in your second e-mail that you sent the file via YSI so the coordinator can properly organize the videos.

Mail-in Submissions

E-Mail: amv@yaoicon.com or thewiredknight@hotmail.com

Please note: Changes have been made to the submission policy, please check accordingly.

Please send entries on DVD, or CD to the following address:
Yaoi-Con AMV
c/o Sean Thordsen
10321 Monitor Drive
Huntington Beach, CA 92646
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Re: Yaoicon 2012 Rules

Post by AMV_4000 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:00 pm

:ying: oh my... time to let the fun begin...

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Post by KagatoAMV » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Sadly this year I do not have a video that lined up with the contest's theme.
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

ence_graphics
Org Profile

Post by ence_graphics » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:49 pm

"Please note that the theme and shounen-ai/yaoi footage is considered an “either/or” setup. You are free to enter a video that is either based around the contest “theme” or is of “shounen-ai/yaoi” nature, or both if you wish."

In Reply to not having a correctly themed video: If you read the rules you would see that basically any video related to Yaoi/Shonen-Ai is allowed. The theme is optional.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:59 pm

I still want my certificate from last year ::sadface::

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:47 pm

This could be very fun with what I'll be sending to you all, I hope.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 am

To all editors, it appears that Yaoicon still has not posted the rules on the official con page. The deadline is about one month away so PLEASE let all other editors that have entered or may be interested in editing know of the deadline and the contest. I am actually starting to notice a decline in the number of entries because of this oversight and I'm not sure when it will be rectified. Thanks.
BANG

Iren S.S.
Guns N' Vincents
Org Profile

Post by Iren S.S. » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Oh, I have a question. When I have uploaded my vid to file hosting I should only send the DL to coordinators, whithout any additionals notes?

EDIT: And one more question. May I upload my vid to http://www.mediafire.com ?
Last edited by Iren S.S. on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:45 am

The problem I have with the "theme" is that any slice of life anime technically fits. Slice of life, especially school life anime, is full of Japanese specific cultural practices. If I have a non-Yaoi video which takes place within a modern Japanese cultural context (perhaps maybe a certain Dat Yuri video, hint, hint), does it not technically fit the theme?

Insert comment about the Far East being my daily life here. :|
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Kionon wrote:The problem I have with the "theme" is that any slice of life anime technically fits. Slice of life, especially school life anime, is full of Japanese specific cultural practices. If I have a non-Yaoi video which takes place within a modern Japanese cultural context (perhaps maybe a certain Dat Yuri video, hint, hint), does it not technically fit the theme?

Insert comment about the Far East being my daily life here. :|
The theme this time was meant to have a more historical flavor to it rather than modern culture. I guess I could have described that better.
BANG

Return to “AMV Contests”