This week's ANNCast will feature Brad DeMoss!

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: Brad DeMoss featured on ANNCast

Post by ngsilver » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:30 am

Who needs ANN for pointing out exciting new vids and showing light on new editors when I already do that? :awesome:
ImageImageImageImage

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Re: Brad DeMoss featured on ANNCast

Post by irriadin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:36 am

ngsilver wrote:Who needs ANN for pointing out exciting new vids and showing light on new editors when I already do that? :awesome:
Ha. I suppose you do. I guess the main problem I had with the interview was that it ended up being about "olden AMV times with Brad" and that Brad's not really in touch with the community at large, so he couldn't answer some questions as well as he might have. Though I must give him credit on the "what's next for AMVs" response. I agree that we'll be seeing more and more custom animation.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Re: This week's ANNCast will feature Brad DeMoss!

Post by angelx03 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:57 am

Koopiskeva wrote:Didn't listen to the podcast, but I read the thread afterwards.. lawl.
Yeah, some of the users who "seemingly" joined the ANN forums are NOT doing this community any favors. Can we at least put aside whatever bad blood some of you guys have for him, and be more appreciative?
ImageImage

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:28 am

angelx03 wrote:
Koopiskeva wrote:Didn't listen to the podcast, but I read the thread afterwards.. lawl.
Yeah, some of the users who "seemingly" joined the ANN forums are NOT doing this community any favors. Can we at least put aside whatever bad blood some of you guys have for him, and be more appreciative?
It doesn't help that Zac keeps ignoring those of us who are being civil and instead keeps highlighting users being "insulting." :roll:

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:50 am

Castor Troy wrote:I actually enjoyed the podcast. :dino:
so did i.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:08 am

Whatever biases you guys may have against both Zac and Brad, I think the podcast turned out interesting and not too bad.

Sure you can tell Zac isn't into AMVs and doesn't think much creativity goes on in our hobby, but I think that's balanced out by Brad's passionate defense.

Yeah a lot of it goes back to "good old times of ye vcr2vcr" but he was specifically asking Brad how he got started, and also Brad talked specifically favorably about the org. (That's some good promotion for us, and look how some of you are treating it.)

I loved that when Zac said that most people just do comedy to pander the audience, Brad flat out told him how wrong his assumption was and correctly stated that Drama is the most over done category. I loved how he talked up Vlad and about running contests. I loved how he pointed out that AX's issues were it's own fault. Also discussion on AWAs contests specifically were still accurate and true as far as I can tell.

Granted most of us who are massively active in the community could easily state that choosing Brad is a bit dated for discussion on AMVs and that proves that Zac really didn't bother to do much research. However, maybe this interview was supposed to be Brad. If you guys missed it there was also a bit about Brad doing a bit of dubbing work, maybe that paired with his name being well known on the con circuit is why he was the one granted an interview. AMV discussion just happened to go along with Brad.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:Whatever biases you guys may have against both Zac and Brad, I think the podcast turned out interesting and not too bad.

Sure you can tell Zac isn't into AMVs and doesn't think much creativity goes on in our hobby, but I think that's balanced out by Brad's passionate defense.

Yeah a lot of it goes back to "good old times of ye vcr2vcr" but he was specifically asking Brad how he got started, and also Brad talked specifically favorably about the org. (That's some good promotion for us, and look how some of you are treating it.)

I loved that when Zac said that most people just do comedy to pander the audience, Brad flat out told him how wrong his assumption was and correctly stated that Drama is the most over done category. I loved how he talked up Vlad and about running contests. I loved how he pointed out that AX's issues were it's own fault. Also discussion on AWAs contests specifically were still accurate and true as far as I can tell.

Granted most of us who are massively active in the community could easily state that choosing Brad is a bit dated for discussion on AMVs and that proves that Zac really didn't bother to do much research. However, maybe this interview was supposed to be Brad. If you guys missed it there was also a bit about Brad doing a bit of dubbing work, maybe that paired with his name being well known on the con circuit is why he was the one granted an interview. AMV discussion just happened to go along with Brad.
*hug*

i don't know enough about zac to have any kind of opinion about him, but the fact that someone from animenewsnetwork.com wanted to do a segment about AMVs made me stoked. PROMOTION PEOPLE, HELLOOOO???? and the fact that brad was chosen to do it was more than beneficial for us because he IS passionate about AMVs, he's been in the industry as long as a lot of you have been alive, he KNOWS higher ups personally and knows how to sell the creation of AMVs to them because he only has the genre in his best interest.

god forbid you actually learn something. give the guy a break.

i'd be all for hearing another interview with another editor, tho. much like code's lip flapper, hearing different opinions gives a much more rounder perspective. just don't treat it like the world's ending if you're not a fan of the interviewee. unfortunately, with all the flack zac is receiving i don't see him fishing out another editor anytime soon to interview even if someone is suggested to him by a credited group of people.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Rider4Z wrote: i'd be all for hearing another interview with another editor, tho. much like code's lip flapper, hearing different opinions gives a much more rounder perspective. just don't treat it like the world's ending if you're not a fan of the interviewee. unfortunately, with all the flack zac is receiving i don't see him fishing out another editor anytime soon to interview even if someone is suggested to him by a credited group of people.
Yeah, some of ya kind of blew it:

https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/247019928023080960

:?
ImageImage

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure who blew it (and I can say that, given that I've 100% kept distance from this whole thing), but it's plainly apparent to me that whoever can make those sorts of blanket statements - not the first from him - is an idiot. Rather than blame the nebulous "AMV community" that he supposedly "engaged" (on his own terms, on his own turf, with his own selected guest), I'd say that this sort of unprofessional reaction makes ANN look a lot worse as a result. It's bad journalism. If he wanted to engage the AMV community, he would do so earnestly and without the hostility he's repeatedly shown. The defensive reactions of some of our members to that sort of treatment are entirely warranted.

If you can't approach your subject without hostility, you shouldn't bother. But as an organization that is concerned with anime as a hobby in general, ANN should have enough of a journalistic standard to recognize that this is bad for them. It's not our job to make AMV talk part of the discourse around anime, because it is that by default; and it's their job to cover the anime community in all its forms. The idea that members somehow have to "behave", "give chances" and suck up to people who are being unreasonable and ill-informed to begin with is nonsense. We don't need to beg for exposure with an organization that can't maintain its commitment to engaging with the hobby at large, acting in a manner that's unfriendly, hostile and prone to snap reactions for no reason other than the personal attitude of one of its editorial staff.

By the way, none of this would be an issue to me if not for that last tweet. But that made it all manners of unprofessional and is grossly inappropriate. Anyone with any understanding of journalism can back me up on this.

tl;dr - way to be professional, ANN.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:47 pm

For the record, I'm not saying we should be begging for attention from ANN, just that I think Brad did a great job defending us and placing us in a positive light. I'm not even really sure what there is to be mad about in that podcast. (As for all the stuff that came after... lets just say wow dramas guys)

Return to “General AMV”