Newbie Trying to Learn My Way Around

evil0verlady
Org Profile

Newbie Trying to Learn My Way Around

Post by evil0verlady » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:55 am

I'm new here, just arrived from YouTube and I'm trying to learn my way around. I've looked up various guides, but I still have questions.
1. How do you "subscribe" to someone? YT has a feature that allows you to subscribe to someone - you can receive updates in the email when that person has uploaded a new video. I've come across the "Alert Log" but I'm a little unclear as to how it works. How is "online" different from "daily," for instance?
2. How does the private message system work here?
3. How are MEPs run?
I was also wondering if this site has had any run-ins with Nihon Ad Systems (NAS). They've gone after my Yu-Gi-Oh! AMVs on YouTube, which is why I'm moving my Yu-Gi-Oh! AMVs here.
Thank you for your time.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Re: Newbie Trying to Learn My Way Around

Post by Otohiko » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:03 pm

evil0verlady wrote:I'm new here, just arrived from YouTube and I'm trying to learn my way around. I've looked up various guides, but I still have questions.
1. How do you "subscribe" to someone? YT has a feature that allows you to subscribe to someone - you can receive updates in the email when that person has uploaded a new video. I've come across the "Alert Log" but I'm a little unclear as to how it works. How is "online" different from "daily," for instance?
2. How does the private message system work here?
3. How are MEPs run?
I was also wondering if this site has had any run-ins with Nihon Ad Systems (NAS). They've gone after my Yu-Gi-Oh! AMVs on YouTube, which is why I'm moving my Yu-Gi-Oh! AMVs here.
Thank you for your time.
Hi and welcome! :up:

1) That would be "My Alerts" on this site - go to a user's profile page, and you will see a "Add user to My Alerts" link right under their profile picture. Click that, and it will take you to the alerts menu, including options for when it will email you or alert you on the site. The system is a little clunky at the moment since the site is long overdue for a design, but it mostly does what it's supposed to while that redesign is still in the works....
2) That's a forum thing. The easiest way to send a PM someone is to hit the "PM" button under their post in the forum. Your inbox/outbox/etc. are at the top of the forum, where it says "0 new messages" (or more than 0 if you already have PMs), and you can read/reply/compose messages from there.
3) Depends on the MEP. We have an MEP forum where many of these are organized: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... m.php?f=37
There is some good advice on the running of MEPs there as well, although it hasn't been updated for a bit.

We haven't had any run-ins with NAS as far as I know. The only exception on the .org that was imposed on us is from Windup Records, which prevents AMVs with music by Evanescence, Creed and Seether from being uploaded to the site (though they can still be listed in the catalogue and linked off-site).

Hope this helps!
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:15 pm

As for the difference between online and daily: let's say a user uploads more than one video in the same day. With online, you'd get notified for each of those alerts, with daily you'd get a single notification for the whole day.

evil0verlady
Org Profile

Post by evil0verlady » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:41 pm

I thought that's what it meant, but I don't think I got a notification when a friend of mine uploaded a new video, even though I checked that box.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Turns out I was wrong, I should have read again the page:
If you choose the "Online" option for an item, you will not receive email, but can view information about the event in the log or RSS feed.
So that means it will just appear on the site and in the rss, not email. Woops! ^^;

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”