AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
SailorDeath
Org Profile

Re: AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Post by SailorDeath » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
The Wired Knight wrote:Wouldn't trollling a troll contest mean sending a good video?
That's all I send out. 8-) :awesome: :ying: |:> :up: :bzz: :bzz2: :bear:
Feel good about your self? YOU post in here then all of a sudden the thread dies.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:39 pm

On categories:

"Best Acton" I've never seen any Michael Bay movies so I don't know what they have to do with Acton. There is a lovely Children's Museum there though.

"Best Storytelling: Given to a video that best uses given content to create new content with an air of consistency to the new story." Either the title should be edited to "Best Story Remix" (or something of the like), or the description should be edited to include non-original narration. Personally I'd go for the latter, since I only counted 4 videos that even loosely fit the description as it stands.

"Best Non Anime" Should have the description expanded to include Non-Japanese animation.

"Best Other" and "Best 'WTF Did I Just Watch?'" Seem like they'd draw from the same pool. (I prefer the latter title.)

"I Want My Life Back Award" Description sounds kind of derogatory. I don't like it.

Also interested in knowing how many categories there will end up being (exact or estimate), since I'd like that to base the number I vote for on.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but I think the "Best New Video" category is a BAD idea, as there could be videos that DID premiere in other contest and no one else knows about it (small hometown convention, results never released, not posted on the org, etc). I know of one entry that is super hard to find because the creator's youtube account was closed, yet the video did premiere somewhere else first, and the only reason I know about that is someone else who recognized it mentioned it to me.

I don't mind rewarding someone for their hard work of creating a new video, but the fact is, what is most likely gonna happen is people telling others about certain videos they may not have known about before just to "avoid" videos that shouldn't win winning it, and the whole anonymous thing getting worse off as a result.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Change the name a little bit, and the whole "google rule" mentioned can go from being a stick to being a carrot this year.

Or it can just be tossed and if people feel that strongly about it, they can let it color their voting in every other category. ;)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:14 pm

I also have a question, is the "Non-Anime" supposed to include MLP and other non-Japanese animation, or is Non-Anime intended to be Non-Animation?

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:30 pm

In the past the non-anime award encompassed any video not using anime as defined by the org. Usually often meant non Japanese animation and live action, but often mostly live action as that was the major type of non-anime submitted in the past. I don't remember if we had a seperate category for MLP last year or not.
ImageImageImageImage

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:34 pm

ngsilver wrote:In the past the non-anime award encompassed any video not using anime as defined by the org. Usually often meant non Japanese animation and live action, but often mostly live action as that was the major type of non-anime submitted in the past. I don't remember if we had a seperate category for MLP last year or not.
There was a ponies category last year, and I ask because it's not always clear how certain people define categories, as some contests have allowed "anime styled" animation to be included "as anime" in their contests. The main concern for me is that there are plenty of non-Japanese animations in the contest (not just ponies), and I want to make sure the terming is correct so I know where I can place/vote for all of them.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:34 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:I also have a question, is the "Non-Anime" supposed to include MLP and other non-Japanese animation, or is Non-Anime intended to be Non-Animation?

I always felt that non-anime always meant something that didn't specifically fall into the category of Japanese Animation. Examples would include:

non-japanese cartoons (Power Puff Girls, Boondocks, My Little Pony)
Live action films
Video game footage

non-anime should mean anything that isn't anime. I know if can get a little hard to explain for shows like Resident Evil Degeneration or animation from japan that doesn't have that traditional "anime" look to it. But the general rule is, if it's animated and from japan then it's anime.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:36 pm

SailorDeath wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:I also have a question, is the "Non-Anime" supposed to include MLP and other non-Japanese animation, or is Non-Anime intended to be Non-Animation?

I always felt that non-anime always meant something that didn't specifically fall into the category of Japanese Animation. Examples would include:

non-japanese cartoons (Power Puff Girls, Boondocks, My Little Pony)
Live action films
Video game footage

non-anime should mean anything that isn't anime. I know if can get a little hard to explain for shows like Resident Evil Degeneration or animation from japan that doesn't have that traditional "anime" look to it. But the general rule is, if it's animated and from japan then it's anime.
I totally agree, but not everyone seems to understand that straightforward concept :uhoh:

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Unless the category is further defied, I think it's left up to each entrant to determine what they believe each category means. All I can say is that in the past it always seems that everyone in the contest has understood that non-anime meant anything that isn't defined as anime according to the org.

In the end if that's what we decide the category means, then that's what it means. It's one of the things that makes pro interesting, it doesn't matter what the coordinators think, it's what us, the judges/entrants think that matters.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”