Black Screen Preview (PR/AE CS6)

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
hehaime
Org Profile

Black Screen Preview (PR/AE CS6)

Post by hehaime » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:51 pm

So, I formated my PC yesterday and installed the newest version of Adobe Softwares as well, in CS4 Adobe products were working just fine. I imported some .avi uncompressed files to start my editing, but everything went all black.

I got the majority of the needed codecs, QuickTime and updated my graphic card card driver.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/0qrjX.png

Solution?
Thanks.

Brad
Org Profile

Re: Black Screen Preview (PR/AE CS6)

Post by Brad » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Hmm.. thaaaat's a tricky one. You're absolutely 100% sure it's just a simple uncompressed AVI? And it plays fine in CS4 and in Media Player? Not encoded with a lossless codec? Mind listing out your Sequence settings?
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

hehaime
Org Profile

Post by hehaime » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:43 pm

I converted the video using AvsPmod/VirtualDub with UTVideo Codec, and back on my other system was playing just fine on AE/PR CS4 and obviously everything running normal on WMP/MCP.

Sequence: http://i.imgur.com/sKxIn.png

And it's an 8-bit file.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Try making the sequence video codec be something else? Also, since the AVI is encoded with UT Video, and CS6 is a 64-bit program (and you said it worked in CS4, which is a 32-bit program), are you sure you have the 64-bit UT Video codec installed?
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:14 am

UTVideo's most recent installer gets both the 32bit and 64bit version on the system, it's not split anymore, so it should be fine, if he has an up to date version.
If he does not, uninstalling the older version and grabbing the latest version might help.

hehaime
Org Profile

Post by hehaime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 am

Uninstalled x86 and x64 old versions of UTVideo and updated to the newest one from the link above, what I get? The codec itself don't show up on video compression screen from VirtualDub.

I tested using Lagarith and it worked very well on Premiere, but I prefer UTVideo for some reasons.

What now? I'm pretty much confused, because the time that I installed UTVideo, I used the x64 version and the same thing happened (^), then I got the x84 version and it was appearing on the video compression screen normally.

Well, what now? Lagarith will be the only codec that I will be available to use?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Mmmh, chances are the registry got messed up.
Do you know how to use regedit? I know of another person which had your same exact issue (utvideo not showing in vdub), and I think this might actually be related to why it isn't working in Premiere, and I know he fixed by actually manually fixing the keys in the register.
If you don't know how to bring it up, then simply click on start, then type up regedit in the search bar and hit enter.
Regedit will show up.
The key you should look for should be:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DRIVERS32
The values you need to check are called VIDC.ULRA, VIDC.ULRG, VIDC.ULY0, VIDC.ULY2.
Make sure the path they are pointing to actually exists, the error likely is that they're pointing to the older version of the dll. They should be pointing to:

C:\Windows\system32\utv_vcm.dll
Or at least, this is where they're pointing to on my system. Make sure that dll is actually there.
Next, check:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc
You should have lagarith and other codecs in there. If there's utvideo in there delete it, as it shouldn't be there anymore (or alternatively, try to edit the path to make it point to the correct dll).

Alternatively, if you can't find those keys, or if that doesn't fix it, try to look under:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-(bunch of numbers here)-(more numbers)-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DRIVERS32
and

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-(bunch of numbers here)-(more numbers)-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc
and do the same things as above. But keep in mind the values names might be different (ie, instead of VIDC.ULRA, it might just be ULRA, and so on).

hehaime
Org Profile

Post by hehaime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:14 pm

I just had to fix the path to the keys that were on:
mirkosp wrote:

HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DRIVERS32
...and it's all okay now (preview, playback, showing on vdub) :D

Thanks a lot, and me thinking that I would need to format my pc all over again, heh.

Return to “Adobe Software”