Wrap Up~!

This is the main (and archive) forum for The Quickening, hosted by AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Wrap Up~!

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:37 pm

After a bit of delay, we finally have our wrap up thread!

Now to start off with, I would like to ask everyone to submit their feedback on the the first ever A-M-V.org Quickening. If you have any suggestion for next year, I will be quite happy to hear it.

Some things we're already going to be looking at:

- Different judges (The current judges did an awesome job but I like to keep things fresh so I'll be switching some around. This will also give the current judges a chance to compete if they want :D)
- Less Entrants/Rounds (People seem to get burned out rather quickly so by shortening things by a bit, it may help)
- Timing (Code and I will be communicating from now on to make sure we don't have our contests running at the same time. Or at least we'll try to reduce the overlap.)
- Fewer Song Submissions (Bump it down from 5 songs each to 3. This will give everyone a better chance of at least 1 of their songs making it in.)

Now~ We have a couple more winners!

For the predictions contest Kairih will be walking away with $15~! O:

The $5 Judge's Choice Awards go to....
irriadin - Farewell To Tomorrow - "Very mellow yet fun. One of the most memorable videos of the contest."
LopezAMV - And Then I Said 'Meow Meow Meow Meow' - "Because it more or less made me start listening to the song again and inspired me to make my video."
riccardocasu - Don't Stop Me Now - "This guy did an awesome job the entire time. He deserves at least a little somethin'."
Chained(E)Studio - MasTween - "I liked what she did with that (I always like "action videos with non-action sources" and that one was pretty out there)"
KnightAMV - RAWRAWd - "The bits and pieces that were edited looked fantastic and you had the cojones to turn in a video unfinished. Most people would be too worried about saving face but you tried the best you could and didn't just drop."

I'd also like to make some personal shoutouts to some of the contestants that really stood out for me. No money involved, but you guys are awesome :P
aniMae had some really awesome concepts through the rounds! I've gotta say, at lot of the combinations you went with wouldn't be the first thing I'd think of but you made it work. Keep up those original ideas and you're gonna go far! O:
MasterZero8, it was a nice attempt for your first video! Way better than a lot of others I've seen. You've got a kick ass attitude too! Keep trying. ;)
MeleeChampion, PEAKS AND VALLEYS! FUCK YES. Teach the ways of dynamic! Bangarang on brotha'.
Bubbles, Yaaaaaaaaar!
Centurione, holy crap girl. You came outta nowhere and kicked ASS! Keep it up :D I look forward to future videos from you :3
Animated, THERE ARE NO BRAKES ON THE RAPE TRAIN. I died laughing.

But yeah, you all did a great job and I hope to see you back next year! O:

If you see your name in blue, please PM me with your email address. If you're located outside the US please include a link to your version of amazon. (.uk, .jp, etc...)

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Re: Wrap Up~!

Post by irriadin » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:25 pm

o: Thanks judges!

I'm looking forward to doing this contest again next year. Hopefully next time I won't kill my chances by picking a group that interferes with AX-time :roll:

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for the award O:

I thought for the first one it went pretty well.
Radical_Yue wrote: - Less Entrants/Rounds (People seem to get burned out rather quickly so by shortening things by a bit, it may help)
- Fewer Song Submissions (Bump it down from 5 songs each to 3. This will give everyone a better chance of at least 1 of their songs making it in.)
x2 on those that have been suggested... though I think that even maybe just 2 songs per person would be enough.

Also, what about the length per submission of each round? I do not know about anyone else, but the 2 mins. was so hard to get in within a week especially with being challenged with songs and different genres. I edited every night for each round and had to slap so much together for round one, and just ran out of time for round 2.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Chained(E)Studio wrote: Also, what about the length per submission of each round? I do not know about anyone else, but the 2 mins. was so hard to get in within a week especially with being challenged with songs and different genres. I edited every night for each round and had to slap so much together for round one, and just ran out of time for round 2.

The length I think is fine. It's all about practice, you'll get faster the more you do things like this. I mean if people can make 2 - 3 minute videos in 2 hours I think 7 days is enough time for at least 2 minutes :P

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:I mean if people can make 2 - 3 minute videos in 2 hours
Are they humans? O:
Tried T______T
XD

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Ah, but the difference here is that those people who make 2-3 minute songs in 2 hours almost always pick their own audio to start with. Not a fair comparison, in this case!

Also, round 2 in this contest pretty much killed me x_x

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:09 am

irriadin wrote:Ah, but the difference here is that those people who make 2-3 minute songs in 2 hours almost always pick their own audio to start with. Not a fair comparison, in this case!
Not true. Please refer to every one of Brad's Online Iron Chef Tournaments ever. >_> You find out your song 15 minutes before you need to edit. Even your anime source is randomized (though you get to pick which six it's chosen from).

Personally, I think two minutes isn't an excessive amount to require, especially if the rounds/entrants are lessened and you don't enter a similar tournament that is running at the same time. :uhoh:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:54 am

I think before I say anything else, I gotta say THANKS YUE AWESOME JOB!

Seriously, picking up where the original contest sort of fell apart and running a 4-month-long competition to a successful completion (and actually on schedule, start to finish) is a pretty darn good start!

I agree with the suggestions. I think something quicker might work better for the quickening next time, but honestly... I don't think there was any major issues with this one. Everything went fine, and the number of drops actually ended up being slightly below what I expected.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:32 am

I kinda agree with Ileia : 1 week is enough and even much... I mean you can make incredible 2 minutes videos in that time and that is why I'm somehow 'disappointed' by what went out, could have been far better imho in terms of quality

About suggestion : funny thing is I think the number of contestants was the perfect one BUT I personally prefer how the french quickening dealt with groups :
The 1st 2 of the groups keep going and other are eliminated and then it's only 1 vs 1. You can easily prepare this being random. Like : the 1st of group A will be against the 2nd of group D... see what I mean? Because I think you were too nice, 4 over 8 qualified is A LOT

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:48 pm

I agree that 2 minutes is kinda pushing it, I'd be fine with 90s or even less. Not because of the week limit, but because I think lots of videos tell their stories before the 2 minutes mark and then it's just stuffing it. I mean, there's no upper limit, right? If I submitted Shine on You Crazy Diamond and it was accepted, 11 minutes video would be fine, right?

Return to “The Quickening 2012”