AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Re: Anime Revolution 2012 AMV Contest

Post by AceD » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Seijin_Dinger wrote:
AceD wrote:How melodramatic....
How insensitive & rude
Insensitive? sorry i thought it was a joke....hard to believe you see. In that case i offer my condolences and pray that been exposed to 10 minutes of bad visual quality has not caused any long term trauma.

In all seriousness, perhaps leaving due to been pissed off at the organizers for messing up the show....but ill from bad video quality? 10minutes of it? that is melodramatic...

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:30 pm

AceD wrote:
Seijin_Dinger wrote:
AceD wrote:How melodramatic....
How insensitive & rude
Insensitive? sorry i thought it was a joke....hard to believe you see. In that case i offer my condolences and pray that been exposed to 10 minutes of bad visual quality has not caused any long term trauma.

In all seriousness, perhaps leaving due to been pissed off at the organizers for messing up the show....but ill from bad video quality? 10minutes of it? that is melodramatic...
I wouldn't necessarily call it melodramatic, especially if the editor of the video that was shown in that bad visual quality was in the audience. It happened to a fellow editor of mine years ago, when his entry was shown not looking like what it did when he sent it in originally. I could tell by the look on his face that he was absolutely not happy with how they showed his video in the contest and shortly walked out of the room.

Dammit, if I submit to a contest, end up as a finalist, and am present to see the contest, I would put my trust in the contest coordinator to make sure it looks "right" when he shows it in the contest. I wouldn't want to have my entry look like that monstrosity that purplepolecat posted on here.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Tsu
Org Profile

Post by Tsu » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:49 am

I'd just like to add my 2 cents here as politely as I can- I don't want to offend anyone. That being said, I've attended many conventions and watched the AMVs at all that have offered them. I've attended cons that have been running for 10 or more years that have had a myriad of issues- bad audio/poorly equalized speakers, AMV finals that have run too long and been cut off before all the videos have been shown (including not showing videos that won awards in the judges' placement!), severe interlacing, lowered frame rates (making the action and effects categories look like a muddled mess), and more. I've entered most of these contests, and been screened in most of these contests. I hate it when the video and audio quality are bad- it sucks and it's painful to see your video screened (or your fellow editors, even) with less than optimal settings or downright flubs in the encoding. I recently attended a con where the compiled finalist video file crashed just seconds into my video and I watched the audience, uninformed of what was going on and assuming the screening was broken/over/something literally pour out of the place. That was hard to take. And each of these things happened at cons that are long-standing with AMV coordinators that have been, at the least, experienced in other con video screenings.

AR is a new con- this is their first year. Editors got free day passes, so if an editor only wanted to see your video screened (other than travel expenses), they weren't coughing up 40 bucks to see a bad playback of their video. The rules stated that the equipment hadn't been finalized yet, and the resolution everything would be played back wasn't known. Should that have been fixed? Yes. But people came, watched, and enjoyed the show. If you go to the official AR boards, there's people on there clamoring to know where they can find this or that video that was shown despite the apparent quality issues (of which, I might add, I've seen no mention of on the AR forums and have been checking in on regularly since the event.) I hope that the coordinator hops on at some point and addresses these issues, and I hope that next year's screening is better, but it's hardly the end of the world.

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:17 am

Well usually a person running the contest has an idea of equipment used (if not saying what will be used), especially if they are planning to put title overlays on. My biggest complaint is the lack of communication, leading up to, and after the con. Subscribing to a forum topic where it is being discussed, especially if you start the topic, goes a long way in keeping in communication.
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014

Tsu
Org Profile

Post by Tsu » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:29 pm

I can understand that. For what it's worth, he's supposed to be posting the winners and such sometime next week. Dunno why there's such a long wait, but yeah...

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:41 am

foenanko wrote:I recently attended a con where the compiled finalist video file crashed just seconds into my video and I watched the audience, uninformed of what was going on and assuming the screening was broken/over/something literally pour out of the place. That was hard to take. And each of these things happened at cons that are long-standing with AMV coordinators that have been, at the least, experienced in other con video screenings.
In this particular case, I can see your point. AMV contest showings aren't exempt from Murphy's Law -- no matter how much you can test, no matter if the hardware that is supposed to run AMVs all day runs the video perfectly, there's always that chance that something hiccups. This can especially be the case when you are in a main room with higher-tech synchronized projectors and audio systems, equipment that the general layperson doesn't have access to test on. >_>

What Anime Revolution did as evidenced above, however, was one of the biggest no-nos in AMV projection. Even the least technical-minded person would use their computer OS' default playback system at the very least (like Quicktime Player or Windows Media Player), but VirtualDub?! That showing was doomed the second they used that for projection playback. Luckily, they figured out their mistake and changed over to VLC Player ... 10 videos later. In estimated AMV video time (where 3 minutes is the average length), that's minimum 30 minutes of VirtualDub playback.

Being a coordinator and event runner myself, if I saw this at any convention, I'd be the first person rushing up to the playback table and asking them, in view of the whole audience, if this was a stupid joke. :roll:
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Magicflier
Org Profile

Post by Magicflier » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Will the winners be officially posted soon?

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Things can always go wrong out of one's control, but there are a LOT of people out there in the AMV community that could of helped to prevent this kind of showing and prep (how they were shown, the rules, the size of the room AND winners selection) There is quite a bit of experience in Vancouver alone in relation to this, but they either never asked or brushed people aside.

Honestly, think of it like this, if the cosplay contest was run with someone who did not know anything about cosplay and it was poorly executed, how do you think the cosplayers would react (and they are even more vocal). Most creators spend a LOT of time on thier AMVs to make them look good and so why would not a contest (even a first one) spend the time to atleast respect the entries in the best means?

To me it's the lack of effort that I have the issue with and not the intention.

Vlad

foenanko wrote:I'd just like to add my 2 cents here as politely as I can- I don't want to offend anyone. That being said, I've attended many conventions and watched the AMVs at all that have offered them. I've attended cons that have been running for 10 or more years that have had a myriad of issues- bad audio/poorly equalized speakers, AMV finals that have run too long and been cut off before all the videos have been shown (including not showing videos that won awards in the judges' placement!), severe interlacing, lowered frame rates (making the action and effects categories look like a muddled mess), and more. I've entered most of these contests, and been screened in most of these contests. I hate it when the video and audio quality are bad- it sucks and it's painful to see your video screened (or your fellow editors, even) with less than optimal settings or downright flubs in the encoding. I recently attended a con where the compiled finalist video file crashed just seconds into my video and I watched the audience, uninformed of what was going on and assuming the screening was broken/over/something literally pour out of the place. That was hard to take. And each of these things happened at cons that are long-standing with AMV coordinators that have been, at the least, experienced in other con video screenings.

AR is a new con- this is their first year. Editors got free day passes, so if an editor only wanted to see your video screened (other than travel expenses), they weren't coughing up 40 bucks to see a bad playback of their video. The rules stated that the equipment hadn't been finalized yet, and the resolution everything would be played back wasn't known. Should that have been fixed? Yes. But people came, watched, and enjoyed the show. If you go to the official AR boards, there's people on there clamoring to know where they can find this or that video that was shown despite the apparent quality issues (of which, I might add, I've seen no mention of on the AR forums and have been checking in on regularly since the event.) I hope that the coordinator hops on at some point and addresses these issues, and I hope that next year's screening is better, but it's hardly the end of the world.
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:21 pm

They still have not posted the results of the contest...
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:00 pm

Seijin_Dinger wrote:They still have not posted the results of the contest...
Willing to bet they never do, lol... :bear:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”