What does the AMV community think about dubs?

TomoyoSupe
Org Profile

What does the AMV community think about dubs?

Post by TomoyoSupe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:18 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_1y_foJ ... plpp_video

starting with martymcfly then

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoWhateverD ... ature=mhee

me

Can I have a place to communicate with people :D abouts dubs, this used to be fun to watch and be in the community back then.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Re: What does the AMV community think about dubs?

Post by GloryQuestor » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:05 pm

I don't really have any problem with fan-dubbing. I try to catch fan-dubbing events at conventions when I can, and I'm also a fan of the many re-dubs and abridged versions I've seen on YT. There are also a few notable fan-dub/AMV hybrid projects, like Studio Sokodei's Evangelion Re-Death. Look up their page on YT for the segment "It's Gendou Remastered" for a glimpse of it. :)
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:04 am

I'm actually rather interested in it, mainly from a "noob going pro" standpoint. Over at Voice Acting Alliance there are a lot of folks who started in the fandub community and worked their way up to pro status (as in have auditioned and gotten parts in English DVD releases).

The reason I'm interested in it is that I'll probably be targeting some of those folks for my own original production (see my sig/blog).

That said I can't watch YT at work, so I'll take a look when I get home.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:58 pm

I enjoy good parody fan dubs. I'm actually showcasing quite a bit of them this fall at AAC with the help of Scott Melzer of NoN.D.E. Fanfilms.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

TomoyoSupe
Org Profile

Post by TomoyoSupe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:58 pm

ZephyrStar wrote:I'm actually rather interested in it, mainly from a "noob going pro" standpoint. Over at Voice Acting Alliance there are a lot of folks who started in the fandub community and worked their way up to pro status (as in have auditioned and gotten parts in English DVD releases).

The reason I'm interested in it is that I'll probably be targeting some of those folks for my own original production (see my sig/blog).

That said I can't watch YT at work, so I'll take a look when I get home.
Very cool, I never considered going professorial unless I can work out other voices but it is fun to watch others like cristina vee and nyanners for me. I'll have to check out voice acting alliance.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 pm

If you attempt to dub, keep in mind the environment both IN the anime and WHERE YOU ARE RECORDING. I don't want to hear the reverb of your voice echoing off concrete walls while the character is clearly OUTDOORS. Its the little things that get me.

I like how the sound also pans as the character moves from one side of the screen to another (making me feel that he is actually walking around me and interrogating me from behind my chair).

And if you DARE try to mimic Crispin Freeman, you will not only FAIL, you would have embarrassed yourself. You can not anywhere NEAR his caliber.

Other than that, dubs are ok, i guess...
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:48 am

reverb
Yep, this. But it's more to do with your recording area. You want a good treated room to record in, even if you have to do things like hang blankets on the walls to prevent reverb. You should be aiming for a "colorless" recording, because intentional reverb can be added back in post if it is needed for a scene. I'm going to invest in some auralex myself...

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Honestly I'm not really a fan of dubs. I only watch it if it is my favorite anime, but I mainly watch subs or raws

Foreverheat
Org Profile

Post by Foreverheat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Theredflash66 wrote:Honestly I'm not really a fan of dubs. I only watch it if it is my favorite anime, but I mainly watch subs or raws
How do you watch raws? Do you know Japanese? Or is it like the whole spanish soap opera thing where you don't have any idea what is being said but you get the story?

But yeah I have no problem watching dubs.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 am

On this topic, I picked up the first half of the Funi release of Steins;Gate at NDK. I watched 1-12 yesterday in English. I have to say it's one of the best dubs I've heard in years. All the jokes make sense in the context of what the originals were. The adaptation reminds me a lot of FLCL, so many things were kept, but a lot of new things were scripted. Daru says "internets" a few times, "fail" is used a bit. Normally I'd be against such things, but the usage is limited and works. I was super impressed and also laughed my ass off.

:up:

Return to “General Anime”