The New Official but Unofficial Public A-M-V.org Skype group

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

The New Official but Unofficial Public A-M-V.org Skype group

Postby Shin-AMV » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Here's what I set up for a public A-M-V.org Skype group.

This link should launch your skype and take you to the group:
http://tinyurl.com/AMVOrgSkype

(Long address you can link in skype for direct access)
skype:?chat&blob=BBdGyoAgYIre543_h0BfFkG8EIBHC2tMqfN_QyCHuiU0_hiLAI06_WW4-KY8tOlRn-NIngaLyLQic0IL0ls_rmFi8e_mMzTKv6mOt_bhiTUWfXp5AC9KLzEInVCxY7zTAVfti1J00xw9BIYl5jXZW5lpfru4h9CHdGsY-7k1MSSpgDbsrHz5YrBUK0lb24y_5wD2CYCgK54bPbIxOGKyQKqjnw

I'll be promoting some trustable and sensible people to be moderators to mute/kick/ban trolls and idiots.
Shin-AMV

Re: The New Official but Unofficial Public A-M-V.org Skype g

Postby TritioAFB » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:04 pm

This is the 3rd one?
Making AMVs by day, Going to Gym by Night
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld

Postby macchinainterna » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:I'll be promoting some trustable and sensible people to be moderators to mute/kick/ban trolls and idiots.

macchinainterna

Postby Shin-AMV » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 pm

TritioAFB wrote:This is the 3rd one?

This one doesn't have the hassle of invites. So people can come and go as they please.
Shin-AMV

Postby TritioAFB » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Today the famous phrase: What's this chat? too many people

I guess I'm gonna bring all my family to the chat
TritioAFB

Postby CodeZTM » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Fun times shall be had for all! :)
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby TritioAFB » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:27 pm

The best trolls... yeah :awesome:

just messing with y'all :mrgreen:
TritioAFB

Postby Niotex » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Not to be a debbie downer but Skype chat's with more than 10 people just don't work. Let alone 30~40 as what seems to be the current number you guys are leveling at. The horizontal cap on the messages and the constant user-type notifications make it cluttered, chaotic and practically unusable unless expanded to half the user's screen real-estate. If you want a separate chat I'd recommend going with AIM as the base instead.
Niotex
The Phantom Canine

Postby TritioAFB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:30 am

we got over 100 at the amvnews and it works very well :o
TritioAFB

Postby Radical_Yue » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:19 am

Niotex wrote:Not to be a debbie downer but Skype chat's with more than 10 people just don't work. Let alone 30~40 as what seems to be the current number you guys are leveling at. The horizontal cap on the messages and the constant user-type notifications make it cluttered, chaotic and practically unusable unless expanded to half the user's screen real-estate. If you want a separate chat I'd recommend going with AIM as the base instead.

Nah, you're not the only person who feels this way.
/me highfives Mitch

It's a good bandaid for now but I'd really like to look into something that's a bit better. Something that's more easily accessible than IRC but has the same general layout.
The kids nowadays want to be able to just click a button and automatically be connected with everything they want. Which isn't a bad thing, just means we have to find a way to make it happen.

I'm with you on the fact that Skype is a freakin' mess. I enjoy it for small - medium conversations but it's just not formatted properly to support more than 20 people chatting all at the same time. IRC is much better suited for larger groups but it's got a few too many steps than most are willing to take. A decent amount of the newer generation don't even know what IRC is anymore. Skype annoys the hell out of me with people constantly adding me to more and more mini-conferences that all pop up at the same time whenever I load the program. My PC is already on death's door as it is and trying to auto-load 30+ conferences that I was added to WHILE OFFLINE don't help. Even when I feel up to the challenge to trying to keep up, unless I freakin' maximize the window I find myself either constantly have to scroll down to keep up with the conversation or I end up replying to messages that are 40 minutes old like a dip shit. If it works well for other people, that's cool. For me, hell no. I don't have tons of time to dedicate to trying to keep up with an badly formated chat.

If anyone is up for the challenge of helping me find something better, please feel free to do so. Or if we can just make #AMV and Skype do a FU-SION-HAAAAAAAAAAAAA! That'd be killer.
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose

Postby Ileia » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 am

I've been in several 30+ skype conferences, one of which has been going since March. Sometimes, yeah, it gets flooded with text, but so did the IRC channel back in the day. It doesn't bother me, I don't always read what doesn't interest or pertain to me.

Skype is a popular, preferred chat medium, I see no reason to drag it down to a "kids these days." I also see no reason to make it into an IRC vs Skype battle, they're both fine. I mean...I didn't leave IRC just because I joined the Skype chat.

Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am

Having never used this text chat feature, I figured people were using skype for it's designed function, voice chat, and was kinda shocked that anyone would have open groups on that. :lol:
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Brad » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:26 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Having never used this text chat feature, I figured people were using skype for it's designed function, voice chat, and was kinda shocked that anyone would have open groups on that. :lol:

It did turn into that for a little bit there. Which was less chaotic than I expected, but that's cause most people were just sitting there listening to the rest of us make asses of ourselves.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
Brad

Postby Radical_Yue » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:50 am

I don't see this as a battle and I'm sad to see my attempts to make a bad old person joke fell flat ;_;

But for the love of all that is holy, make it stop.

Spoiler :

I've already left 5+ chats in the 2 hours I've been signed on but THEY KEEP COMING BACK.

Skype is awesome and all, but I think I'm going to keep searching for a more organized method of chat that doesn't turn my task bar bright orange nonstop D:
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose

Postby aesling » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 am

I can understand the IRC seems a little complicated to new users, but in addition to the problems with skype already mentioned, there are those like myself who use skype primarily to keep up with close friends and family. I'd be interested in checking out a different chat medium from the IRC, but I would prefer to keep my skype account a bit more private. :P
aesling
Mad Scientist

Next

Return to General Discussion