Anime Revolution 2012 AMV Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Sesami
Org Profile

Anime Revolution 2012 AMV Contest

Post by Sesami » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:46 am

Anime Revolution is a brand new three-day convention located in Vancouver, Canada.

We are now accepting entries for our AMV Contest!

Deadline: 10th August 2012

AMV Contest Rules
  • Entries must be more than 30 seconds.There is no length limit for entries. Keep in mind that we do check entries for quality.
  • Up to 2 entries per team/person. Please fill up one submission form per entries.
  • By submitting your video(s), you agree to let us play, copy, and use it to promote the event. If we decide to use your submission after the event is over, we'll ask for your permission first.
  • Most of your video must be anime/video game footage. There is no arbitrary magic number for the type of footage used. Use your best judgement.
  • Most of your audio must be music. There is no arbitrary magic number for the amount of music. Some narration/dialog is fine. Use your best judgement.
  • NSFW content should be limited. The screening is open to the general public. Entries with excessive offensive language, nudity, and/or violence might not be accepted. We accept entries with some NSFW content, but keep it reasonable. Use your best judgement.
  • If your entries has won 1st place/Best in Show at any other conventions before 10th August, it will not be accepted. This is to give everybody a fair chance. This rule only applies to those who won 1st place/Best in Show. 2nd+/runner-up is fine.
Source guidelines
Breaking any of these would likely disqualify your entry.
  • Don't use content from streaming sites like Youtube/Crunchyroll/etc..
  • No subtitles, watermark or logos on the entry that was not added by you. Broadcast watermarks are fine.
  • Use the correct aspect ratio.
  • No interlaced footage in the entry. Progressive please.
Accepted File Formats and Codecs
You'll have a chance to resubmit if it's not in an accepted format. Quality is not guaranteed if we fix it for you. Please avoid 10bit entries for now.
Video:
  • H.264/AVC (.mp4 container)
  • MPEG2 (.mpg container)
Audio:
  • PCM/WAV (Uncompressed, 48khz preferred. 44khz otherwise)
Resolution:
  • 640x480
  • 720x480
  • 1280x720
  • 1440x1080
  • 1920x1080
Frame Rate:
  • Either 23.976fps (24fps) or 29.97fps (30fps)
Playback
The equipment hasn't been finalized yet. It is difficult to know what the playback resolution will be. More details will be made available in the following weeks.

Awards
Submission are judged by the audience during screening. You do not have to be present to win. We will ship awards to those in Canada who are unable to arrange for a pickup. Shipping arrangements will have to be made with the contest coordinator regarding international entries before August 10th.
  • Audience Favourite (3 positions)
  • Staff Favourite (3 positions)
  • Best Concept/Most Innovative (1 position)
  • Genres and other awards to be announced at the screening.
Submission
We'll only be receiving submissions online.

For convenience, we'll be using dropbox for receiving submissions. Visit this page for more information on using dropbox public links: Dropbox public links

If you prefer to upload submissions via FTP, contact us and we'll set up an account for you.

Use one of the submission forms here:
AMV Submission Form (dropbox)
AMV Submission Form (FTP)
Participants will be notified of their contest status before August 10th. Accepted participants will receive up to 2 free day passes to the convention.

Questions?
Please direct any questions/comments to amv@animerevolution.ca or leave a message below.
Last edited by Sesami on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Staff @ Anime Revolution 2012

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Anime Revolution 2012 AMV Contest

Post by Scintilla » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:44 am

It's never explicitly stated what the deadline is, but can I assume that it's August 10 (from all the bandying about of that particular date)?
Sesami wrote:Accepted participants will receive up to 2 free day passes to the convention.
:shock:

Now there's an incentive not normally seen...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Sesami
Org Profile

Post by Sesami » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:24 am

Scintilla wrote:It's never explicitly stated what the deadline is, but can I assume that it's August 10 (from all the bandying about of that particular date)?
Sesami wrote:Accepted participants will receive up to 2 free day passes to the convention.

Now there's an incentive not normally seen...
Yup. It takes time to make an AMV and we had some extra day passes, so why not give it away :)

Sesami
Org Profile

Post by Sesami » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:43 am

Scintilla wrote:It's never explicitly stated what the deadline is, but can I assume that it's August 10 (from all the bandying about of that particular date)?
Sorry for the late reply, I seem to have missed that question somehow. Yes, the deadline is August 10.

purplepolecat
Org Profile

Post by purplepolecat » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Well that was an interesting contest.

Fortunately after the first 10 videos, they dumped the rest into a VLC playlist and just let it run. That didn't solved the buffering issues, but at least it was fullscreen.

Can't wait for the winners to be announced next week! I wonder if that video that just used CGI footage from Gran Turismo 5 will win anything!

One of the entrants had to go home 10 minutes into the contest because the video quality made her physically sick. I'm not even joking.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 pm

purplepolecat wrote:Well that was an interesting contest.

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214 ... ONTEST.jpg

Fortunately after the first 10 videos, they dumped the rest into a VLC playlist and just let it run. That didn't solved the buffering issues, but at least it was fullscreen.

Can't wait for the winners to be announced next week! I wonder if that video that just used CGI footage from Gran Turismo 5 will win anything!

One of the entrants had to go home 10 minutes into the contest because the video quality made her physically sick. I'm not even joking.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:29 pm

this is sad |:
Hi.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:45 pm

At least they'll know for next time (hopefully) <.<

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:48 pm

My first year running a contest I also made the mistake of putting the titles superimposed over the first 10 seconds of the video'
I learned better after that 1 year
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2018, Chairman 2019-2024, Retired

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:22 pm

Well, they did ask me first to run it, however As I did not know the group at all, I asked a few questions and got tossed aside.. OH WELL...

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Return to “AMV Contests”