Ohayocon 2013 AMV Rules, and thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
ahinton
Org Profile

Ohayocon 2013 AMV Rules, and thread

Post by ahinton » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:20 pm

How's it going guys. The rules for Ohayocon 2013's AMV contest have been finalized and therefore, ready to go public. The videos that I have gotten in the past from editors from this site have overall done a great job with this but I do ask to please read the rules in its entirety if you are interested in submitting a video. I have the entire rules on this post. I would like to remind everyone to please do not start sending your videos until Sept 1st. The reason I am putting the rules up now is to give everyone a chance to look over the rules and know what is required before starting on the video. If I get a video sent to me before Sept 1st, I will not even look at the video. I will post on here once the acceptance date comes by as a reminder to everyone. One last thing, one of the judges has volunteered to do a promotion video for the contest. I don't currently have an eta but I will pass along more info once it becomes available.

Other then that, here are the rules in its entirety:

Ohayocon 2013 AMV contests rules and info.

Thank you for your interest in Ohayocon 2013’s AMV contest. Before submitting your entry, please read the contest rules in its entirety. Failure to comply with any rules will result in disqualification or outright rejection of your video. The contestant will be called the editor in the rules, from here on out.

Official Contest Information:

The contest presentation will last approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes long and screen on both Friday and Saturday using a DVD format. The goal is to fit as many of the best submitted videos as possible into this time frame. A list of the contest finalists will be posted on the Ohayocon forums as well as on the AnimeMusicVideos.org forums on January 8, 2013. Due to time constraints, there will be no overflow showing. Therefore, videos received, but not qualified for the contest will not be shown in any form at Ohayocon.

There are 6 categories to choose from. Although editors are allowed to submit to the category of his/her choosing, the categories for the contest showing have a ceiling limit of 6 per and a floor limit of 2. Therefore, if there is a shortage of entries for one or more of the categories after the submission deadline, the AMV liaison announce on the forums categories that have been dropped and the editors will be informed if their video will be assigned to another category. If the AMV liaison believes a video should be re-assigned to a category that is deemed more appropriate, the editor will be notified of the change and given the opportunity to either accept the change, plead his/her case, or withdraw the video from the contest.

The categories are:
• Drama
• Upbeat/Dance
• Parody/Trailer - Formerly the Comedy category. Change due to lack of entries previously.
• Romance
• Action
• Mind-Trip – This is the new, featured category for this contest. This category is for videos that are highly artistic yet so strange in content they leave the viewer wondering what they just saw (or “what was the editor smoking and where can I get some?”)

The MMV category or Manga Music Videos category has been replaced, but editors are allowed to submit MMV’s in other appropriate categories. Video game footage or even a full-fledged GMV’s (Game Music Video) are also allowed, provided the source game is Japanese-produced.

The panel of judges will select the best of each category as well as the best AMV of the overall contest. The audience will also vote for their favorite video.

Awards will be given out Sunday for the following:
• Best of category (Drama, Upbeat/Dance, Parody/Trailer, Romance, Action, Mind-Trip)
• Audience Overall Favorite
• Judge’s Overall Favorite

The editor does not have to be present to win. If the editor cannot attend, nor have a proxy, the AMV liaison will mail out the award. Please allow 3- 4 weeks for mailing the awards. If you live outside the United States, it may take longer to receive the award.

Contest Submission Info:

All videos submitted will undergo a thorough screening process by the AMV liaison to ensure they comply with the rules. All entries will receive a notification e-mail that states their contest submission was received. In the event the video doesn’t meet the expectations, the notification e-mail will also include instructions on changes needed to accept the AMV or if rejected outright depending on the severity of the violation. Once the video has been cleared, it will then be put in a queue of accepted videos to be screened by a select group of Ohayocon staff. To clarify, just because the video passed the initial screening, does not mean that the video is automatically entered into the contest.

It is highly recommended, when submitting the video, to use Sendspace, Animemusicvideos.org (in both cases, an account is required) or any reputable upload site of the editor’s choosing. In doing so, the editor must submit an e-mail to the AMV liaison with the download link in the body of the e-mail. Entries can also be put on any physical media (CD-R, DVD-R, etc.) and mailed physically. These entries must be burned as a DATA disc and not authored. All physical media submitted will become property of Ohayocon and thus will not be returned. The file name of the AMV must be formatted using the following: “your name – video title.avi” (although not required, it is highly recommended to send the AMV as an AVI file).

This year, in order to reduce paperwork, there will be no online registration form. This means that all AMV entries must include either in written form or via the body of the submission e-mail, the following information:
• Full Legal Name(s)
• E-mail address
• Nickname(if applicable), Studio Name (if applicable), or any other name you would like to be shown on the beginning credits for the submitted AMV
• Yes or No on attending Ohayocon – Editors who are not attending must also include the full mailing address
• Title of the AMV
• Song title(s) and Artist(s)
• Name(s) of source video (or manga) footage
• Main Category and Alternate Category

For editors sending in via physical mail please put this information on a separate written sheet in the package. Editors sending via e-mail please put the required information in the body of the e-mail. Because there will be no separate entry from, this information is required for the AMV to qualify for screening, regardless of how it is sent. If the AMV is submitted via e-mail without this info required, the AMV liaison will remind the editor of the rules and give him/her a chance to resubmit with the info. If the AMV is submitted via physical mail without this info or a way to contact the editor, the video will be rejected outright.

Although not required, it is highly recommended the editor include an additional, separate audio file with the submission. If not provided and there are issues with the audio, the editor will have to provide the audio file. If not, the video will be rejected outright.

Entries will be accepted starting September 1st, 2012. All videos submitted must be received by 11:59PM December 30th 2012. NO EXCEPTIONS!

AMV Rules:

Collaborations or AMV’s with multiple editors will be accepted. No more than 3 people are allowed to participate in the collaboration. If the AMV was the result of collaboration, make sure all the names of the collaborators are included when submitting the AMV (even if a studio name is applicable). Please see the contest registration info for more details.

An editor or groups of editors are allowed to submit up to two videos to the contest, in different categories. Editors are not allowed to submit videos to the same category. If submitting two videos, two separate entry information sheets will be required. Please see the contest registration info for details. All names used in the submission will count as submitting one AMV. If one person from a group was to submit another AMV as a solo project, that counts as their second entry and would have to be in a separate category from the collaboration.

Only videos created after Feb 1st, 2012 (first time Ohayocon entry) and have not won at least three major awards (best in category, best in show, etc.) in previous AMV contests will be accepted. If the video does wins its third award after the submission deadline has passed (December 30th 2012), it will not be counted against the contestant- though the editor should notify the AMV liaison so they are aware.

The length of the video must be more than 1 min (60 seconds) long and less than 5 min (300 seconds) long.

There must be at least 2 seconds of black space before and after the video.

The video must contain at least 80% of Japanese Animation, Manga, or Japanese-produced Video Game footage.

No “copied” videos are allowed. The definition of copied is any or all use of material from AMVs edited by someone other than the submitter. If a submitted AMV is found to contain copied material, that video will be disqualified and the editor(s) will be banned from entering future Ohayocon AMV contests. No exceptions.

The video’s content must be PG-13. No songs with racial content (deliberately expressing the superiority of one race over another), sexually explicit content, or the “7 words you can never say on television” (you can submit “language” as long as you edit/bleep words sufficiently), no gore (a little blood is acceptable but not much beyond that), and any and all bodies need to be covered with at least 45% of clothing (no private parts shown). Innuendo is acceptable as long as images and words are not explicit.

All major video formats will be accepted as long as the video is of clear, viewable quality and the audio is clear and concise. However, please keep in mind that the presentation will be created using Sony Vegas software. If for whatever reason, the AMV isn’t recognizable by this software, the editor will be given a chance to redo the video so it is recognizable. This will be a part of the screening process by the AMV liaison. Otherwise, it will be disqualified.

All submitted videos must contain the following:
• 720x480 video resolution
• 4:3 aspect ratio (letterbox will be allowed)
• A frame rate of 29.97 fps
• 2-Channel or 48000hz audio

The following will not be allowed in the video:
Audio sound (not video footage) from any anime or video game that is not licensed for commercial distribution in North America, Europe, or anywhere outside of Japan/Pacific Rim area. Audio sound from an anime or video game that is licensed for commercial distribution in North America, Europe, or anywhere outside of Japan/Pacific Rim area will be allowed. This is a change from last year.
• Bumpers or Credits (Uniform bumpers will be provided in the contest presentation for all submitted and qualified AMVs)
• All logos
• All watermarks
• Screen Names
• Fan or commercially produced subtitles (This only pertains to the video source of the AMV or GMV. Editors are allowed to create their own subtitles or any other text for any reason of their choosing (ex: for translation purposes) as long as it relates to the AMV. Please keep in mind that this will be shown on a DVD format, which may stretch the video out, resulting in the subtitles getting cut off)

The AMV Liaison reserves the right to reject any video for any other reason not mentioned in the rules but deemed fit. All rules shown are deemed final and non-negotiable.

Clean-Up:
All submission e-mails, or contest questions must be made to: amv@ohayocon.org

All physical mail is directed as follows:
Ohayocon AMV Contest
6499 Nottinghill Trail Drive
Canal Winchester, OH 43110
Matsuricon V.E.S. AMV Contest Coordinator 2023
https://matsuricon.org/
amv@matsuricon.org

ahinton
Org Profile

Re: Ohayocon 2013 AMV Rules, and thread

Post by ahinton » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 pm

This is just a friendly reminder to please do not submit any AMV's until Sept 1st. I will make sure post on here when I will start accepting AMV's as a reminder. The reason I am posting the rules now is to give anyone interested in submitting a video a chance to know what the rules and guidlines are and to ask questions about them.

Thank you for your cooperation.
amv@matsuricon.org

ahinton
Org Profile

Post by ahinton » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:41 am

Hello again. Some issues have popped up that I thought I would share with you guys just to make sure everybody is on the same page before I am ready to start accepting videos for the contest.

First, while it is not against the rules to ask others to critique your work, please do not ask any of our judges to critique your work. This is in fact cheating which in turn is grounds for the video being disqualified and the editor being banned from entering the contest ever again.

Second. Each video submission must include all given names of the each and every editor involved with the video. If you want to be mentioned by a handle name or if you are a part of a production group in which you want the name of said group to be mentioned in the opening credits, that needs to go in a seperate section. Also, if your production group has it's own e-mail address or PM, please do not use it when submitting videos. Please use a personal or any other different address.

If there are any other questions, you can either respond to this post, or you can e-mail me at amv@ohayocon.org.
amv@matsuricon.org

ahinton
Org Profile

Ohayocon 2013 AMV Rules, and thread. Now Accepting

Post by ahinton » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:37 am

I am now accepting submissions to Ohayocon's AMV contest. I want to thank you for your patience and for taking the time to read the rules. I look forward to seeing your AMVs.
amv@matsuricon.org

ahinton
Org Profile

Post by ahinton » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Hello. Its me again. I am just posting here to help promote Ohayocon's contest. I will keep it short and sweet here. I really do appreciate those that frequently come here to animemusicvideos.org who have contributed to this contest in the past. And since the contest submission deadline is a little over a month away, I wanted to let everyone know that I hope to see as many submissions as possible. As usual, all I ask is that you follow the rules that are shown at the top of this thread. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me either at amv@ohayocon.org or just post on this thread and I will answer as soon as I can.
amv@matsuricon.org

Zanzaben
Org Profile

Post by Zanzaben » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Do you know when during Ohaycon the AMV contest will be?
Zanz Bonus Points Tally
8bit_samurai: 1, CodeZTM: 1, Eake4: 2, ibabrak: 5, Mirkosp: 4, tipsd9video: 1, uncreative: 1

ahinton
Org Profile

Post by ahinton » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:34 pm

As of this moment, I am not sure. However, the last couple of years, they have taken place on Friday night and Saturday afternoon, with the awards being held at around noon Sunday. I am currently shooting for these time frames.
amv@matsuricon.org

ahinton
Org Profile

Re: Ohayocon 2013 AMV Rules, and thread - 2 weeks left

Post by ahinton » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Hello again. There are 2 weeks left to submit AMVs. And I am in desperate need of AMVs in Mindtrip, Parody/Trailer, and Upbeat/Dance. If anybody has something from the other categories that they would like to contribute to, that is fine also, but I need those three the most. You guys have given me good quality AMVs in the past few years that I have ran this contest. To those that have submitted, thank you. If you haven't I encourage you to show this Midwestern Con of 12,000 attendees what you can do.
amv@matsuricon.org

ahinton
Org Profile

Post by ahinton » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:39 am

Hi again everyone. I am extending the deadline by one day to Dec 31st end of day. It came to my attention that I have been telling people in recent e-mails that the deadline was Dec 31st end of day, but in fact the rules state Dec 30th end of day. Therefore, I am allowing submissions on Dec 31st but no later. Also, I am in great need of Mindtrip AMVs and I can take another or two Parody/Trailer video. If there are any that can be submitted, now is the time.
amv@matsuricon.org

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Did you ever get my submission I sent emails but never got confirmation? I think I sent Time Twitch...if not I can just resubmit.

Return to “AMV Contests”