1080p vs 720p and what is this fps

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Re: 1080p vs 720p and what is this fps

Post by Ryvannis » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:52 am

I'm a bit confused here. MKV is a container. So under my assumption, wouldn't H264 be a video stream contained with MP4 at the lossless level? My concern here is that I'm running into somewhat of a similar situation with Blu-Ray rips. I figured a 2 pass rip conversion net me something of lossless quality if the bit rate is high enough?

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 am

Would net me something of lossless quality. Correction on my part.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:57 am

Ryvannis wrote:I'm a bit confused here. MKV is a container. So under my assumption, wouldn't H264 be a video stream contained with MP4 at the lossless level? My concern here is that I'm running into somewhat of a similar situation with Blu-Ray rips. I figured a 2 pass rip conversion net me something of lossless quality if the bit rate is high enough?
The OP isn't talking about remuxing, just re-encoding. As to your question, a 2 pass encode will always be lossy unless you do it lossless, in which case why bother with 2 pass at all? To get lossy codec bitrate high enough to be almost identical, the filesize is larger than just doing it losslessly in the first place.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”