[beta.a-m-v.org] Hey, we're semi-official

I Fight For The Users
Org Profile

Re: [beta.a-m-v.org] Hey, we're semi-official

Post by I Fight For The Users » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:06 am

Shit, I said I wouldn't come back to this thread. Fucking Internet.

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:13 am

semi-official gives me an official-semi :ying:
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

I Fight For The Users
Org Profile

Post by I Fight For The Users » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:26 am

OK, I was going to stop, but now I am extremely pissed off.
BasharOfTheAges wrote: I get this nagging feeling this is all just a set-up for us to collectively say "alright we give up, what we have now isn't really that bad."
Fuck you.

I started this because I thought the .org could reposition itself as a hub for the AMV community once again. I thought that YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc., while good at hosting videos, were very bad at ensuring permanence of those videos. The .org, with its hosting system and catalog, could help make that happen. Over time people would once again learn that there was one place on the Internet that really took AMVs and their artistic/historical significance seriously, and people would come back here. A community could be built, and planned, using that as a foundation.

I also have a number of user interaction ideas that I wanted to try. Some of them are original theories, but most of them are informed from Jef Raskin's The Humane Interface.

Since February, I have been researching technologies and designs to make this happen. I now think I've got something that can survive e.g. a legal firestorm; if we have people running other .org nodes in other countries, it will be possible for all of this AMV data to survive and remain accessible even in the event of total shutdown. That's not something that can be easily done right now: some people have backups of the .org database, but the .org codebase is not designed for that sort of replicated operation.

There's a lot left to do in that regard, and it may not work out quite as well as I want, but I think the foundation is solid.

On top of that foundation there has been quite a bit of discussion and work in implementing those UI ideas, and some of them really seem like they're going to do well in practice.

But now you accuse me of perpetuating a conspiracy to kill this effort?

Go fuck yourself. Your paranoid negativity is toxic and I am sick of it.

xnamkcor
Org Profile

Post by xnamkcor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:20 am

I Fight For The Users wrote:Go fuck yourself. Your paranoid negativity is toxic and I am sick of it.
Just because you're paranoid, [doesn't] mean they're not after you.
WE DRAMATIZE IT COMPLETELY!

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:56 am

I Fight For The Users wrote:OK, I was going to stop, but now I am extremely pissed off.
BasharOfTheAges wrote: I get this nagging feeling this is all just a set-up for us to collectively say "alright we give up, what we have now isn't really that bad."
Fuck you.

I started this because I thought the .org could reposition itself as a hub for the AMV community once again. I thought that YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc., while good at hosting videos, were very bad at ensuring permanence of those videos. The .org, with its hosting system and catalog, could help make that happen. Over time people would once again learn that there was one place on the Internet that really took AMVs and their artistic/historical significance seriously, and people would come back here. A community could be built, and planned, using that as a foundation.

I also have a number of user interaction ideas that I wanted to try. Some of them are original theories, but most of them are informed from Jef Raskin's The Humane Interface.

Since February, I have been researching technologies and designs to make this happen. I now think I've got something that can survive e.g. a legal firestorm; if whave people running other .org nodes in other countrit will be possible for all of this AMV data to survive and remain accessible even in the event of total shutdown. That's not something that can be easily done right now: some people have backups of the .org database, but the .org codebase is not designed for that sort of replicated operation.

There's a lot left to do in that regard, and it may not work out quite as well as I want, but I think the foundation is solid.

On top of that foundation there has been quite a bit of discussion and work in implementing those UI ideas, and some of them really seem like they're going to do well in practice.

But now you accuse me of perpetuating a conspiracy to kill this effort?

Go fuck yourself. Your paranoid negativity is toxic and I am sick of it.
My mistake in language. The word "this" in my sentence quoted above was referring to "this thread" (particularly the hostility in it), not the beta site or the methodology behind it.

Great example though.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Can't really blame him for getting upset with all these smart ass remarks and random bitch-fests that keep getting tossed in his face.

If I was just trying to help but was constantly having people spit in my face, I think I'd have a couple choice words too. Way to keep grinding away at the one guy who is actually trying to help and keep the community alive.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:55 pm

I just want to say that I support you in your effort to stand against the tide of confused negativity and create a shiny new Org.

And to cheer you on, I leave you this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLpWRD3W ... age#t=102s

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:12 pm

For a feature, I thought I would just mention a chatbox? I know there is IRC, but with a chatbox its more upfront to an individual. Seeing that and the chat/comments from people in it, might spark some interest for viewers and editors on the front page. Though it can look ugly too maybe, and I don't know how hard it would be to put it into the design either.

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:I just want to say that I support you in your effort to stand against the tide of confused negativity and create a shiny new Org.

x2

I haven't looked at the redesign stuff until just now, and the beta site has me really stoked for the site change. I love the layout and the look of the video pages, and the one page functionality is awesome. I'd take this any day over getting lost in a sea of navigation tabs, links, and sub-menus like it currently is on the org and other popular video sites. I appreciate the fact that the progress of the redesign is being shared with the community while it's still in development and I'm excited as a member to see more developments in the future.

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:26 am

Perhaps I am missing something, but all I can access is the main homepage when I follow the link for the beta. I am a bit confused on where people are seeing the video pages... As of right now, it does seem very plain, but since I can't see anything other than the home page I am withholding judgement. :)

I definitely agree that the site needs an overhaul, and it is very good to see someone taking the initiative to get it up and running. It is a lot of work to do for free, and I appreciate the fact that IFFtY has stepped up to the challenge. I've been a member of the 'org since 2001 and though I haven't been very vocal here on the forums or in the chat rooms, I've loved to watch the community and the site grow and evolve. This is just the next step of evolution, and I have high hopes for the redesign!

This said, IFFtY, you ARE coming off as very abrasive in this thread. I am not saying this to be confrontational - just making an observation. I don't think anyone realistically expects you to take every single bit of criticism offered, that would be impossible. But a simple "thank you for your input, I'll take that into consideration" goes a long way.
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

Return to “Org Redesign”