CS5 "replace with AE comp" problem

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

CS5 "replace with AE comp" problem

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:35 am

Not sure if I hit some setting by mistake or it has to do with the fact that I'm using 2:30:00+ long files, but when I select a subclip in Premiere on the time line and right click -> replace with AE comp, the resulting AE comp has the correct duration, but has entire video asset the subclip came from positioned in frame at the beginning of that file, not at the place I made the subclip at. So I then need to scrub the entire thing again to get to the scene I wanted in the first place. Kinda defeats the purpose of doing the "replace with AE comp" in the first place.

What am I doing wrong? This has worked before.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: CS5 "replace with AE comp" problem

Post by Pwolf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 am

Can you provide screenshots of what's happening? Seems to be working fine for me on my end. Also, are you doing any time-remapping. That seems to cause problems some times.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Pwolf wrote:Can you provide screenshots of what's happening? Seems to be working fine for me on my end. Also, are you doing any time-remapping. That seems to cause problems some times.
It's for a Pro video that i'd rather keep under wraps, but I can send you screenshots when I get home if you think that would somehow actually help... but it's nothing super complicated. The right-click action creates an AE comp just fine. AE opens. All is good in that sense. That AE comp has the entire video file as the video asset on the time line instead of the subclip that was made, When I scrub the comp in AE, the 5 seconds of footage I see in front of me is the first 5 seconds of the full file, not of the subclip that I right-clicked on and did "replace with AE comp" to in the first place.

All files are 23.976fps UTVideo. I know AE doesn't like 23.976 in general, but I didn't have this problem with my last video where everything was basically the same.

I did do some freeze framing in the sub-clip in Premiere, which I guess uses time remapping to accomplish that now.
| | |

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Something is off. How are you doing the freeze frame? just rightclick->frame hold ? Are there any other effects or modifications to the clip?

Are you also up-to-date? I'm on 5.0.3 for Premiere and 10.0.2.4 for AE.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 pm

I ended up manually scanning to the point I wanted to in the AE comp instead of trying to figure it out, but I'll try to recreate the problem when I get back in front of the software.

I know I'm not up to date on updates. That won't happen, though. If it's a bug I have to live with, it's not that bad.
| | |

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:16 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I know I'm not up to date on updates. That won't happen, though. If it's a bug I have to live with, it's not that bad.
Why?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Pwolf wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I know I'm not up to date on updates. That won't happen, though. If it's a bug I have to live with, it's not that bad.
Why?
Last time I tried to update premiere it borked my system with a registry error and I don't have the time to fix it if that happens again. I'm on a tight schedule for the next few months where I need to actually use that system very frequently throughout that time.
| | |

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:39 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Pwolf wrote:
Why?
Last time I tried to update premiere it borked my system with a registry error and I don't have the time to fix it if that happens again. I'm on a tight schedule for the next few months where I need to actually use that system very frequently throughout that time.
Makes sense :P

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Ok - So I confirmed it twice so far. If you apply any sort of time remapping and then create the linked AE comp, this happens. If you just create the linked comp first and just time remap within it, everything works just fine.
| | |

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:02 pm

That's bizarre... Gonna test it out with 5.5. Might just be a CS5 issue. Haven't upgraded to 6 yet so won't be able to test that.

EDIT: Confirmed. Seems like it was fixed with 5.5. Just tested it on a clip with a mess of time remapping keyframes on it (in Premiere) and it was brought into AE with no trouble (and had all my time remapping keyframes live within the AE timeline). This was done using a 2 hour movie file, 1080p. Not sure if it's relevant, but since you listed it, I'm running with 32gb of RAM, but I kind of doubt that's the issue.
Last edited by Brad on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Return to “Adobe Software”