[beta.a-m-v.org] Hey, we're semi-official

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: [beta.a-m-v.org] Hey, we're semi-official

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Pwolf wrote:Taite: Are you going to NDK? Can I buy you a drink?
x2.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm not going to say anything since more than likely it would also be considered "bitching" instead of concerned for something I care about, not that what's been shown is even enough to mold an opinion together anyway. Also it's not like I could help with coding or web developement any since I don't know that stuff other than point out things that I was "concerned" about. Actually this is reason why I haven't bothered to say anything, even more so after noticing most of the redesign is being focused towards a small group of peoples input.

In the end if this thing ever did become completely official and used, the three choices would either be... like it, deal with it, or go somewhere else anyway unless the orginal version of the org also stays up. Too early to really even begin leaning towards any of those three choices.

So carry on chaps, I salute you for all your hard work since its seemingly the only thing wanted at this point.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:I wonder if anyone who is bitching about the design realizes that this isn't even in a rough draft stage yet and only the basic functionality is really being ironed out right now...
Then I offer my apologies. I wasn't aware of that, and I honestly thought this was a (somewhat rough) beta.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:29 pm

I think Taite hit the nail on the head there in terms of order of design and when it's ready for feedback. You design the guts before the veneer - or you at least stub-out functionality that everyone expects before showing a beta. We saw a semi-polished veneer and immediately assumed that meant the guts were being (for a lack of a better word) "gutted." Because who'd be crazy enough to show just the veneer, right? People got the implication that if we're worrying about polish enough to make it look stylish (which it already kinda does) then we MUST have already figured everything else out or threw it away.

is the playing field level, now? do we see where everyone is coming from? Assumptions were made from the tone and content of previous posts, rightly or wrongly. If it's not the case that major bits of core functionality like member home pages, at a glance menu interfaces, the banner contest, journals, historic download data, Quick Comments, OPs, etc. are going away, then it should be plainly stated as such so we can clear this all up, because this whole thing has apparently been a big misunderstanding.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
Pwolf wrote:Taite: Are you going to NDK? Can I buy you a drink?
x2.
Sadly not haha.
Image Image

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Kaream wrote:I also believe you will be keeping the random Banner feature correct?
The banner feature in it's current state, probably not but using the new banner/video system David has in his version of the site could be used for other content other than just a new video. I have an idea how to make it work and will do some mock ups when I get back from work.

It's rough (and goes by fast and doesn't have to go from right to left, this can be changed so don't complain about it for the love of god) but it gets the point across... basically the home page banner would cycle through different featured videos and between them a user created banner would show:

http://www.pwolfamv.com/other/featured_ ... _baner.mp4

Personally, I think the user-created banners are a good thing for the site and would like to find a way to use them or at do something similar. My idea expands on the existing system by providing much more real estate for people to work with but also utilizes the current design layout. That said, something like this isn't important at this time.

Either way, this is an example of how you can provide feedback and suggestions without actually doing any code.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:39 am

Pwolf wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:
Kaream wrote:I also believe you will be keeping the random Banner feature correct?
No, he won't, I can inform you on that. I've already asked, and it was explained to me that this design is about pure effectivity and the banner is useless clutter. Or something along the way.
How about instead of bitching all the time you come up with an idea that could incorporate random banners and still keep good effective use of the site?
That wasn't actually bitching at all, but rather the actual state of the things. I have spent few hours talking/arguing with trythil about that, and every time it was downplayed as unnecessary (even when I tries to offer some ideas on where it could be or why it should stay), so I gave up on it. He's for pure effectivity, as I have said, so the banners don't get its place anywhere, because it's "only" design. Or something along the way (meaning I've lost my logs and can't look it up for precise wording, same as above).
I am sure he will handily link you to that text/BG-color only site which describes how images are pretty much unnecessary. Learned much from it, about design, about uselessness and about trythil ^^

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:52 am

Taite wrote:"oh the home page is rather cold, this isn't like amvs at all" (which doesn't happen)
Well... it does. Even now, and the design is actually fairly neutral.

Btw, I am much rather for some heated discussion now and continued development, than for it being hidden somewhere and then coming out and be all blehhhh. And this discussion might at least clear some of (my) confusion.

I have to agree with Bashar, though, this whole issue and arguing is mostly about the "tone" of the answers. We ask questions and either get no answer, or it is explained to us that we know nothing about it and that we should shut up or, in the best case, we get lots of techtalk. And I don't find that good for any feedback thread.

Even more so when the "sterility" discussion was spun completely sideways, so the developer could've just stayed out of it and watch what the community/users think.

Last thing for now: I think it is GREAT to have development in progress. But I don't think it is necessary or good to protect such a development at any cost and bash anyone who says anything bad about what is shaping up. If it will be discussed later - just say so and we will wait for a later term. But don't expect us to stay silent if you don't give us such warning and just throw a site at us and want "some feedback". I have thrown in a few questions and notes, and then I was only backing up someone who mentioned it. And for that I got scorned.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:04 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Taite wrote:"oh the home page is rather cold, this isn't like amvs at all" (which doesn't happen)
Well... it does. Even now, and the design is actually fairly neutral.
Yes, the design now is neutral. And I've never heard of anyone complaining upon their first entrance of the site that the org looks cold and stale and that amvs are much more colorful and blahblah. I've just never heard it, and I certainly don't understand how anyone comes to the conclusion that because we're an amv site, we ought to have a lot of colors. ????
Obviously some people have brought it up though, so I suppose this is something that's going to have to be discussed thoroughly with the users. But because three people said so doesn't mean that it's the best idea or that it's true and must be done. It's a concern that should be brought up, but because of the early stages of the site, I really don't think it's important right now.

I think that later, I don't know how you would do this, but holding a poll on several different color schemes would be an awesome idea. Have whoever make them, present them to everyone, everybody votes, and then the creator can put that in. It could be an entirely user decision, but the color schemes would have to be approved by the creator because in the end this is his creation. I have no idea though, maybe that'd be chaos.

At any rate, there's several ways we can figure out the whole color thing, I don't think it's a big deal. A lot of people have different view points on this. I honestly prefer the slick looking slightly with the gray/white/black scheme, which happens to be what he has. But it's not close to being done so anything can change.
Nya-chan Production wrote: If it will be discussed later - just say so and we will wait for a later term. But don't expect us to stay silent if you don't give us such warning and just throw a site at us and want "some feedback". I have thrown in a few questions and notes, and then I was only backing up someone who mentioned it. And for that I got scorned.
I agree. There was a lottttt of overreaction in this thread by most all members. There's no need for names or bashing when people are just trying to defend their opinion. However, much of the "defending" was also attacks on others. But If you put up a thread like this and ask for feedback, then you're going to get it, and that's where the mistake came in. The site is in such an early stage of development in my opinion, there's no way for any helpful feedback. People see the site as it is and they freak out because there's so much left undone that they start criticizing everything. Big mistake imo. :?
Image Image

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:20 am

Taite wrote:But If you put up a thread like this and ask for feedback, then you're going to get it, and that's where the mistake came in. The site is in such an early stage of development in my opinion, there's no way for any helpful feedback. People see the site as it is and they freak out because there's so much left undone that they start criticizing everything. Big mistake imo. :?
Well, to be fair, he never asked for feedback, he only posted the link and told us what was working and what is being done in the future.

Return to “Org Redesign”