IRC

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

IRC

Postby Eake4 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:57 am

Hello guys, I either have no idea how to use the IRC for #AMV or nobody on there talks at all.
Any clients suggested or tips, even guides of such as "HOW TO USE" would be greatly appreciated
Eake4
Australian Zeus

Re: IRC

Postby Jadecavy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:00 am

Lol, you were there for four minutes. Maybe stick around for a little longer next time?
Jadecavy

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:55 am

The correct way to use IRC is to join the channel, then idle there for hours or even days before saying anything.
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby ZephyrStar » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:17 am

Pretty much this. Or try and strike up a conversation. Even then, a lotta people just idle there. Have some patience, because when things do get going, they get going :bear:
ZephyrStar
Master of Science

Postby mirkosp » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:18 am

This thread lacks a proper :A warning.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Radical_Yue » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:24 am

It is rather dead in IRC for the most part. As Bashar said, you just kinda idle until people start chatting.

I know a lot of people like mIRC, I personally use mibbit while I'm at work and Chatzilla (it's a Firefox add-on) while I'm at home.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/irc/
ImageImage
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose

Postby Otohiko » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:32 pm

I don't find it dead at all. It's just the way IRC works. Things happen in bursts. Last night there was a couple of really active discussions for a while for example, and then it was dead again for a while. Some times of the day also tend to be more or less active than others.

But yes, IRC is for idling on, not for constantly yelling things back and forth. It's not unusual for it to be silent for hours at a time, especially at certain times of day.
Otohiko

Postby Fall_Child42 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Otohiko wrote:I don't find it dead at all. It's just the way IRC works. Things happen in bursts. Last night there was a couple of really active discussions for a while for example, and then it was dead again for a while. Some times of the day also tend to be more or less active than others.

But yes, IRC is for idling on, not for constantly yelling things back and forth. It's not unusual for it to be silent for hours at a time, especially at certain times of day.

AND YOU DIDN'T WATCH MY VIDEO
Fall_Child42
has a rock

Postby Pwolf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Fall_Child42 wrote:
Otohiko wrote:I don't find it dead at all. It's just the way IRC works. Things happen in bursts. Last night there was a couple of really active discussions for a while for example, and then it was dead again for a while. Some times of the day also tend to be more or less active than others.

AND YOU DIDN'T WATCH MY VIDEO

AND HE DIDN'T WATCH MY- no, j/k... just trying to fit in ._.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby Otohiko » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Then what did I watch last night? o__o
Otohiko

Postby aesling » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:30 pm

You watched penises. Duh.
aesling
Mad Scientist

Postby Otohiko » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Well now, there are far better things to do with penises than simply watch them :ying:
Otohiko

Postby ngsilver » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:44 pm

mirkosp wrote:This thread lacks a proper :A warning.

aesling wrote:You watched penises. Duh.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Qyot27 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:00 pm

I really need to get into the habit of getting on the Org's channel. Most of my IRC use is sporadic as it is anyway (and by 'sporadic' I mean, 'mostly just for XDCC').

Client-wise, I use Nettalk about 99.9% of the time. Prior to that was Chatzilla, prior to that was IceChat. I've used mIRC a couple of times, but I really don't see the appeal of it. As far as I can tell, the main reason people recommend it - aside from simple brand recognition - is XDCC RESUME, and several non-nagware and FOSS clients now exist that also support that command. The reason I initially tried Nettalk was because it met those criteria: doesn't nag you, FOSS, and supports XDCC RESUME. Its channel storage features are also really nice.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny

Postby ngsilver » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:50 pm

I stick to mIRC mainly because I've been using it since I first got into IRC back in 96. I bought a copy then and have been upgrading ever since. I flirted with a few other clients, mainly additions to mIRC, but it's been mostly mIRC. I did at one time use Trillian's and pidgn's IRC options as well and mibbit for remote access. Most of the time now, I just use mIRC and if I'm remote (such as at work) I just VNC into my home machine and chat from there....
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Next

Return to General Discussion