Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

Post by Kionon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Waldo,

Good to see you here. Those early conversations were so full of wonder and potential. To think... So much of what we spoke of has come to pass. I don't think any of us could have imagined what were starting, and Patrick least of all, who put in so much. He was an absent minded tinkerer, and his vision was always of a universe he simply saw clearer than others, with no personal stake or benefit desired.

I miss those conversations, and I bluntly put, especially with all of his recent work, those conversations had started happening again.

Folks, as a community, we have been robbed.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:16 am

Here is the online memorial guest book.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

freya13
Org Profile

Post by freya13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:13 pm

Waldo wrote: I was in the Publications Operations room of Otakon preparing for the Con Feedback Session. I saw Amanda come into the room looking distraught and thought I heard her say: "My pet's dead." But as she got closer, my gut tightened up when I understood she was saying "Pat's dead." And from there most of my memories went into a haze.
Unfortunately it had only taken the short walk from AMV Ops to Pub's for it to hit me as hard as it did. I'm sure my blubbering was hard to interpret.

Pat was an amazing friend, it's hard to think of the fact that I will no longer see him at AWA anymore. Among the many things listed in this forum, if it weren't for him I wouldn't have an awesome contest that I mascot proudly for year to year.

~A
Render-chan Error-chan >:3

Diegao
Enjoy the music
Org Profile

Post by Diegao » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:36 pm

This is sad. Rest in Peace.
Rising Production: Site - Forum - Facebook - Twitter

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:22 pm

I talked to him a few times, mostly when he ran #amv_op or whatever it was called. He seemed very smart and kind. Beyond that there isn't much I can say other then rest in peace good sir.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 pm

This is awful. Another one of us that I never got to meet but felt like such a part of the community and, beyond that, the hobby, that the name Quu just felt integral.

I have valued your influence in this hobby, in whatever form I've partaken of it, Patrick, and I hope that Godix isn't a dick to you in AMV Hell, or wherever passed AMVers congregate.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Spyral
Org Profile

Post by Spyral » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:53 am

I count myself fortunate to have been on the receiving end of one of Quu's signature rib-crushing bear hugs. I'm glad I got to spend a little time with him and other AMVers back in 2005 at AWA.

I am deeply saddened by his passing. Despite not being active in AMVs outside of local conventions, I enjoyed following his LiveJournal and his recipe and cooking adventures. His impact on the AMV community is immeasurable; there are many people feeling his loss on a personal level as well as professional one.

You will be missed, Patrick. RIP.
Why can't pudding be all skin?

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:05 pm

I would like to personally extend my gratitude to those who signed the digital guestbook with well-wishes, and those whom were able to take the time and attend the services.
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

Lethann
Org Profile

Post by Lethann » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Hey everyone,

For those who don't know me I'm Debra, Quu's wife.

I just wanted to thank you all so much. To say that Pat loved this community doesn't give it justice. The only thing he really loved more was his daughter Sylvia, but that was only for the past year of his life. We never would have met had it not been for AMVs... particularly Lostboy and his old forum.

I'm still trying to get through reading all the posts on this thread, but to know his memory is still alive in people, even those who barely knew him, means so much to me. Soon I'll be printing these post out and adding them to the pile of stories I want to share with Sylvia when she is older. Everyone is still welcome to add these stories and more to the Digital Guestbook. This guestbook will actually be made into a nice keepsake hardbound book. It will be open until 8/28 so please keep signing and adding your stories.

Some of you were able to come to the funeral, others sent flowers, and I thank you all for remembering Quu and his life. Please don't forget him and keep telling the stories, laughing and creating more 'art'. I want Sylvia to know how much AMVs meant to her Daddy so I'm hoping to keep going to AWA and showing her the VAT, Iron Editor, and everything he helped to create.

One of the things I'm going to try to do is find the code that he created to help organize and run the AMV contest website and release it for others to use. I know he was working on other projects (Rebuilding the vid player too if his constant cursing meant anything) and if you know what they were please let me know so we can go digging through his computers to try and find it. I don't want all his work to be lost. He wrote things for people to use and I intend on seeing that it is. Anything that isn't finished we might make calls out to the community to help and try finish it, but only time will tell what we find.

People have asked about donating to Sylvia's college fund. I've already talked to Phade and we still don't have anything 'official' setup. In a weird quirk of fate, everyone got "Con Plague" after the funeral. It's been making dealing with things even harder.

I hope to see as many of you all at AWA this year. I won't be in the VAT all weekend, but Sylvia and I will be there for when they do the memorial.

There is so much more I should say but I'm at a loss for words.

Just thank you all.
Shade and Sweetwater,
Lethann Aeda
(aka Quu's Wife)
The Silver Phoenix | My LiveJournal | My AMV-dot-org Profile

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:57 am

FYI

For the Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta, we're doing a special
Tribute to Patrick during Iron Editor. It features a short talk, some
of his videos and a short ending tribute video with a moment of silence
at the end. It runs about 12-15 minutes in total and we're aiming to
have it around 7:00 pm during the Iron Editor Competition.

Thank you Vlad, for arranging this.

Return to “General Discussion”