Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

Post by EvaFan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 am

It's people like this and zetzu we could learn alot from. Living every day to the fullest and making the most out of the life you got. I can't imagine what its like knowing you wont be able to live a full life due to medical complications. My regards to his family and friends for the loss. I didn't know the guy personally but if he's one of the cofounders of the org then I feel as if I'm a part of his legacy.

Looks like I'ma have to have another drink to a great person.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:50 am

Invitations are now going out for the funeral, which will be held at Winkenhofer Pine Ridge Funeral Home located at 2950 Cobb Pkwy NW, 30152-2606 Kennesaw, GA from 9:00am to 12:00pm EDT on August 2. Primarily through Facebook, the link is here.

There will also be a digital guestbook for everyone to sign, since so many of us can not attend in person.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Paul Kievits
Org Profile

Post by Paul Kievits » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:09 am

Wow, just, wow :'(
Get my 5th video "Mass Murderer": here

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:25 am

Is anyone organizing donations for a flower arrangement or similar on behalf of the org? I'd think it'd be somewhat appropriate.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:35 am

Unfortunately I cannot go to his funeral since I live in Indiana and I'm scraping every penny so I can make it to AWA this year. But I intend to visit his grave while I am down there during the con. It should take about an hour at most to get to where he will be interred. That is if he is being buried, I do not know if Debra is going to have him cremated or not. I'm thinking we can all go visit and say goodbye.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Is anyone organizing donations for a flower arrangement or similar on behalf of the org? I'd think it'd be somewhat appropriate.
Concurred. We have ATL locals. I'd certainly kick in something.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:44 am

Very sorry to hear this. I really only got to know Patrick this last year, but he was a great guy and will be missed.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

Here's another story about Patrick from my second year on staff at acen (first year in charge of amvs). One of the things Patrick had said to me before is that he's willing to help any con that asks him. If he cannot go he would be willing to loan the equipment to the convention and mail it out to them. I thought it was amazing because there was a situation where someone could easily steal a computer. Personally I don't trust people enough to do something like that. It just goes to show what kind of person Patrick was. The other thing he noted is that it was pretty much a thankless job. That is while the people he's helping would often appreciate the hard work he puts in. Most of the regular people on staff, or attendees had no idea the physical and mental strain involved with running the technical side of amvs. I learned what that meant first had that year and the year before what kind of taxing work that was and he handled an even larger workload than I. Knowing this, I realized that many cons under appreciated Patrick for all he's done and I decided that it was high time he got some recognition. So I approached some of the section chiefs and higher ups at Acen and told them my idea. During the awards ceremony I wanted to honor Patrick and show him that I really did appreciate all the dedication and time he was willing to sacrifice to put on the best possible show. We secretly ordered a plaque, it simply stated how much acen appreciated patrick.

I had to hide this thing from Patrick the entire weekend. Keep in mind He, Debra and I were sharing a room from the con that year so it was in the room with the other awards. I was so worried that he'd find it and ruin what I had planned. Thankfully, he didn't. On Sunday, as I was calling out the winners for the AMV contest, I acted like something was wrong and signaled for Patrick to come up and give me a hand. Just as he got to me I put my hand on my shoulder, turned him to the crowed and told them that the person I was standing besides put a lot of work, dedication and personal time into making the contest we had there a success. I then handed him the plaque and told him that on behalf of Anime Central and the AMV Community we would like to honor him for all the years of hard work he's given to the community.

Patrick of course was speechless. He was confounded as to what he had to say and searched for words. Finally he looked at me and said "Well Julius, you've finally found something that has made me speechless." I laughed, we said a few more things to each other and he went back to the tech area. I found out later that evening that I had made him cry. But he told me it was a good cry and was grateful for the gift. Sadly that would the last year he attended acen. He took a break from AMVs and convention staff. It wasn't until a few years later that he returned to doing conventions, a very exciting moment for many of us who knew him personally.
-

There was so much more about Patrick that I want to note. Patrick was the reason I got addicted to World of Warcraft. I joined him shortly after acen 2005. He had been playing the game for 7 months at the time. Just like with amvs he always went out of his way to help us lower level characters. Sadly I never had the chance to run a high level raid with him. About a month after getting level 60 and applying for raid status in the guild he and Debra left the game over a dispute between the other guild leaders. It wasn't until a year later after transferring my character to a different server that I discovered that he also had made an impact on the Warcraft servers. He was the original author for the mod "Decursive." Since his departure others have taken up the reigns of developing it, but he was the one who thought of it and created it originally.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:43 pm

I am all for joining in on a flower arrangement, just need details on who's handling it.

I think a grave visit if there is one would be great as well. I'd join you SD.
ImageImageImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:48 pm

This is sad news indeed. I've heard nothing but great things about Quu, both his videos and he himself as a person. Chemicals Between US is probably one of my favorite AMVs of all time and it's truly heartbreaking to hear a good person like him has passed on. I hear that he was a wonderful family man and that he cared for everyone in his life. Condolences for his family and loved ones. Both the AMV community and the world has lost a wonderful person.

Return to “General Discussion”