Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

Postby Athena » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:57 am

AMV Family,

I am sad to report that we have lost yet another of our members. Quu passed away last night and is survived by his daughter and wife.

Quu and I have been friends for over a decade. We met in the IRC channel #fanfic on irc.nabiki.net ,where we discussed how AMVs were like visual fanfiction, and we discussed the beginnings of a-m-v.org with Phade. He was in large part the reason I am an editor...

And after godix... I just... can't. I am in tears...

Goddamn, I am fucking done.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Re: Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

Postby TritioAFB » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:05 am

:( RIP Quu
Making AMVs by day, Going to Gym by Night
ImageImage
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld

Postby madmallard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 am

Pat leaves behind a new daughter Sylvia, and wife Debra; as well as an unquestionably indelible mark on digital AMV production, and contest organisation of the last 20 years.
A/V Operations Director for Kawaii-kon, Izumicon, Mizucon, Anime Crossroads
Asst. Dir. for Anime Weekend Atlanta
madmallard

Postby GloryQuestor » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:28 am

I had known him for a while now -- talked with him on the IRC two years ago, and met him IRL that year when he took over tech ops for AWA and I was staffing. He was just talking to us again in IRC, and now this happens out of the blue.

It's going to take a while to get over the shock I'm feeling right now. RIP Patrick. :(
Samurai Warriors Productions
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Postby CastielTheFallen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:42 am

Can't say I was ever especially tight with the guy, but I've talked with him a few times in the irc and he always seemed like a cool cat. My condolences.
DZ|BSP
CastielTheFallen
Prodigal Pen-Throttle

Postby I Fight For The Users » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:52 am

:(

I first met Patrick at..ACen 2003? Maybe 2004? Supremely driven. I fell out of touch with him around 2007, but still saw him every now and then at a few AWAs.

This reminds me...

I had won an Iron Editor competition at ACen 2004 (well, back in that day, we called it Iron Chef). It wasn't until a couple years later that Patrick created the Iron Editor medals. For those who don't know, they're pretty heavy metal pieces with "AMV IRON CHEF" on one side and the contest's motto, "Celerius Difficilus Maius", on the bottom. The convention name is engraved on the backside of the medal.

In 2008 (or 2009...my recollection of years is pretty bad), I was at AWA's Iron Editor competition in the back room. I had heard that Patrick had called me up to receive a medal for my win in 2004, but didn't go up there -- it felt a bit hokey to me to receive a medal for something I did five years prior. (I had also ceased editing AMVs around 2007.)

Retrospect has a funny way of changing things. I don't think I'd find it nearly as hokey if I knew it was probably the last time I'd meet him in person.

- trythil
I Fight For The Users

Postby FarmXD » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:20 am

No way...
FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!

Postby AquaSky » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 am

I'm very sad to hear this. Patrick was a great guy. My sincere condolences to his family.
AquaSky
Master of Science

Postby mirkosp » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:38 am

It feels like the other day we were chatting in #AMV about mplayer2 and stuff... RIP man, it was nice talking to you.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby JCD » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:58 am

I only finally have been able to talk a bit more to him during last year's AWA, which makes this news even more sad for me than it would be if I didn't go. Awesome, awesome dude and just simply a very pure and good-hearted person. RIP.

For those who are curious as to why, such as me, quoting lostboy from Facebook:
His wife thinks it was a heart attack. Patrick was actually born with a heart defect. He told me a long time ago that doctors said he wouldn't live past 30, so he valued every day he exceeded that prediction.
JCD
Lord of the Dance

Postby Athena » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:02 am

He had the same defect as my dad, if I remember our conversations correctly. My dad did die at 32 in 1987. I was three. So I know exactly what Sylvia will be going through.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby Cenit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:15 am

I wasn't very close to him and actually didn't talk to him in a year but we had a lot of funny conversations previous to last years awa pro. The contest system he programmed is amazing and i was really looking forward to meeting him at AWA this year. This sucks :(

My condolence goes with his family and close friends. May he rest in peace.
ImageImageImage
Cenit

Postby LantisEscudo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:24 am

I saw a couple of Quu's videos back when I first started editing, though for the longest time I didn't connect them to the guy that helped run AWA's VAT. In 2010, I had the good fortune to be seated next to him at the AWA editors' dinner, and listening to him talk about the tech behind the scenes for con playback was an eye-opening experience, which led to me doing some beta testing for his new ConPlayer application. Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I was looking forward to AWA this year was to talk to him more about the subject.

He was brilliant, sharp, and helpful to everyone. He will be missed, and my condolences go out to his family and friends.
LantisEscudo

Postby Otohiko » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:13 pm

No way, this is rather shocking indeed. He's been around in the community and the IRC quite a bit lately too.

My deepest condolences to his family. That is a terrible thing to happen.
Otohiko

Postby CodeZTM » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:14 pm

I cannot say I had much interaction with him outside of AWA's coordination, but my condolences are with his family and friends. It is always sad to lose a good man like that. :(
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Next

Return to General Discussion