Scariest Game Ever, PLAY IT

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Jasta85
Org Profile

Scariest Game Ever, PLAY IT

Post by Jasta85 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 pm

For those of you who don't know it, try this game called "Slender". It's a small free to download and play game, more like a demo than a full game. But it proves that horror games are no where near dead yet.
http://www.slendergame.com/

It's so incredibly scary. check out the link on the website of the reaction videos of people playing it, these are people with their video game channels on youtube, a couple of them started crying they were so scared, it's hilarious (especially one guy who was talking sh!t when he first started playing it and then lost it when the scary part came).

Seriously, I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I was playing this, it really screws with your head. Game length is about 5-15 minutes. If you're a real masochist try playing this alone at night, you're guaranteed nightmares. I played it during the day with a movie playing next to me and I was still freaking out. I don't care if you're a gamer or not, this is something you gotta experience at least once.

For any who are interested. Here are a couple of very vague hints when playing the game because you get no instructions when you start except to collect the 8 pages, but that's part of the atmosphere of the game. These hints won't spoil much but I recommend playing the game through at least once before reading them so as to get the full impact (don't worry, you won't last long the first time hehehe)
Spoiler :
1. Don't turn around
2. He will start following you when you find the first page
3. Keep moving, he'll only get closer if you stand still
4. Don't look straight at him
5. If you manage to collect the 6th page, you'd better have plenty of space to move
I believe this may be a trial run in preparation for a full game using the same mechanics, if so that game is gonna bust some records.

McDirty
Org Profile

Re: Scariest Game Ever, PLAY IT

Post by McDirty » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:05 pm

I was actualy pretty impressed with this, for it being a very short game with a very very simple premise and map design. The textures could use an improvement, especially on SM himself. Lighting could also use an improvement, just imagine how really scary this can be if shadows were incorporated into this. Also I wouldn't mind seeing this expanded and playing this with many different maps to choose from. Would love to play this in perhaps an amusement park, mansion, swamp, mall, hospital, generic suburban neighborhood, or even an empty city block set late at night.

I hope this team gets picked up, because it's games like these that ended up creating games like Portal.

By the way, there some corrections on your hints:
Spoiler :
1. Turning around definitely needs to be cautioned, but also be careful where you look where your facing as well. In the "bathroom-ish building" in one of the rooms, I was facing one end of the room, looked up towards the ceiling, looked back down and there he was in front of me!
2. He doesn't start following when finding the first page. He follows immediately upon start. Decided to walk around the entire map without the need of finding the pages and ended up getting caught by him regardless.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Rage quit ruined this game for me, and now All I can picture is two hilarious people playing it. XD

Although I nearly shat my pants when I saw the "thing" the first time. >_>

Mkid
Im on the case
Org Profile

Post by Mkid » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:59 am

I do this thing where. I DONT LIKE SCARY GAMES, alan wake is good enough for me tho. Ill look at videos tho
CodeZTM wrote:Rage quit ruined this game for me, and now All I can picture is two hilarious people playing it. XD

Although I nearly shat my pants when I saw the "thing" the first time. >_>
lmao

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Jasta, are you familiar with the YouTube videos off of which this game is based?

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Or, I should say, the Marble Hornets project on YouTube which popularized the Slenderman myth?

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:21 pm

This is a better reaction video. 7:28 for those that just want the screaming.

Is this actually based on that project? I knew that Minecraft ripped it off with the Enderman, but I didn't' really draw that conclusion from this one. although Slender = Slenderman would be an obvious connection I suppose. xD

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6KEl-kL6U8

Still probably the best commentary so far.
"I don't care if he flosses his ass crack with the bark of these trees."

Return to “General Discussion”