Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!

Post by Hagaren Viper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Cyrix wrote:I thought about another issue - I don't have a problem with the "one video per category" rule, but it seems like it leaves a huge opening for people to try to game the system, for example by submitting an action video and another action video into drama and hoping you'll re-categorize the latter. On the other hand I think you should keep on with the re-categorizing though because in the past there were way too many incorrectly placed videos and that wasn't much of an issue this year.
I'd imagine that being the case, the higher scoring of the two videos would be the one to get in anyway?

TrufflePigStudios
Org Profile

Post by TrufflePigStudios » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Cyrix wrote:I thought about another issue - I don't have a problem with the "one video per category" rule, but it seems like it leaves a huge opening for people to try to game the system, for example by submitting an action video and another action video into drama and hoping you'll re-categorize the latter.
I don't mind a one video per category rule, but I feel like it might hurt specific categories. I'm talking mostly about the comedy category. It seems like every year at AX there has been contestants with multiple entries in the comedy category making it to the finals. The reason for this seems pretty self-explanatory...comedy is a very difficult category to edit a video for...which is why it doesn't seem to get as many entries as the other categories. However, certain editors have a real knack for editing comedy, which is why in the past we've seen multiple entries by a single person in that category. (I could be wrong about this, but it is just what I have observed over the years). It is also the category that con-goers at AX enjoy the most. (from what I can gather by audience reactions and from seeing a lot of the audience bail out of the contest after the comedy section almost every year). Not that one person should be allowed to completely dominate a category- but you also want to have more than one or two strong comedy videos make it to the finals. I'm not too miffed about this rule one way or the other, just got to thinking about it :D

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote: I'd imagine that being the case, the higher scoring of the two videos would be the one to get in anyway?
I think the net effect of this would be that editors could still submit multiple videos per category but only one could go to finals, but people who tried to follow the rules more closely would be disadvantaged. Maybe editors shouldn't be restricted on which categories they can submit to but only one video can be a finalist per category? Well, that's my thoughts anyway.

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Scintilla wrote:How paranoid is your con's legal department about losing non-profit status due to insufficient focus on its stated mission (and how Japan-centric is that mission)? Because I can see that causing a problem with implementing such a loosening of the rules.
This is a very valid point
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:59 pm

This should inspire another Best of Show idea. :awesome:

Last edited by Castor Troy on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 pm

thaaaaat's china town

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:58 pm

The Naruto Ball Z 3: Justice League

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Shouldn't it be Naruto Ball Z: The Justice Marvel Team considering....Spider Man and Iron Man are Marvel characters... :ying:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Now everyone knows "Castor Troy's winning amv formula". :awesome: |:> :ying: :beer:

persiandragon
Org Profile

Post by persiandragon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 am

Kazemon15 wrote:Shouldn't it be Naruto Ball Z: The Justice Marvel Team considering....Spider Man and Iron Man are Marvel characters... :ying:

Spiderman and Iron Man can also be used in amv footage.

Return to “AMV Contests”