Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
XStylus
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!

Post by XStylus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:40 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:Rider, the problem there is that it's an amv contest, not fmv contest. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fmv contests; just that if it's a contest for anime music videos, then it should stick to being just anime.
I agree. There is a line that should not be crossed.

Here's the problem though: That line has already been crossed by nearly every American AMV event, and has been for a very long time now. Video Game content is what crossed that line.

Since that door has been opened, there is now the very valid question of whether anime inspired content should be permitted, such as Boondocks and Avatar: Last Airbender.

Let me make a confession: I was originally going to clamp down on ALL non-anime content for 2013. That meant no more video game music videos. I relented on that because I knew that would go down like a lead balloon, and I think I should minimize controversy until after a couple years of getting settled in. I love Final Fantasy, but since 2003 I've never quite been able to understand why video game music videos were permitted in an AMV competition, but I've come to accept it.

So, having decided that, I decided to go a smidgen in the other direction by leaving a very tiny window of opportunity open for non-anime content that the judges and I felt were worthy. And I assure you, my threshold for "worthy" is pretty strict.

I'm just saying that either direction can be pursued here.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:52 pm

xstylus wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:Rider, the problem there is that it's an amv contest, not fmv contest. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fmv contests; just that if it's a contest for anime music videos, then it should stick to being just anime.
I agree. There is a line that should not be crossed.

Here's the problem though: That line has already been crossed by nearly every American AMV event, and has been for a very long time now. Video Game content is what crossed that line.
If that's how you look at it, then the org "has crossed that line" as well.
ImageImage

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:56 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:If that's how you look at it, then the org "has crossed that line" as well.
Correct. All things begin somewhere though, I suppose. Video Game music videos were already accepted in AMV events before the org itself though. I would say they were "grandfathered" in.
Shin-AMV wrote:Oops sorry, meant that more as a radical hypothetical scenario that would be rather unlikely, not a potential accusatory type statement or insinuation thats its happened before. <.< :sweat:
I didn't take it as such. :wink:
Last edited by XStylus on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:04 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:Rider, the problem there is that it's an amv contest, not fmv contest. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fmv contests; just that if it's a contest for anime music videos, then it should stick to being just anime. Popularity of the source is irrelevant. That being said, showing a non-anime music video in the pre-show just exacerbates the issue.
+1
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:04 pm

xstylus wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:If that's how you look at it, then the org "has crossed that line" as well.
Correct. All things begin somewhere though, I suppose.
I don't really agree with you, but it's not like what I say is going to make any difference.
ImageImage

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:37 am

Hm....if I may say something about non-anime footage being in, especially about the game footage...

What anime Japanese games that are clearly anime-based? Like the Tales of Games and the new Miyazaki game coming out? Cell-shaded or 3D, but still look anime-like? I mean, they even have anime openings and anime cutscenes in them, but clearly not enough to make a full AMV out of them based on one game alone.

I was planning on making a Tales of Graces F AMV using both the anime cutscenes and the 3D footage combined, but since the anime cutscenes are very little, the majority of it would be the 3D scenes....does that mean it'll get disqualified, if I ever decide to make and enter it?

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:56 am

Kazemon15 wrote:I was planning on making a Tales of Graces F AMV using both the anime cutscenes and the 3D footage combined, but since the anime cutscenes are very little, the majority of it would be the 3D scenes....does that mean it'll get disqualified, if I ever decide to make and enter it?
Under the rules as presently planned (which are not yet final), your vid would satisfy the requirements. We have received similar vids before, though not using that title.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:46 am

Rider4Z wrote:so you have to ask yourselves, is giving what the audience would enjoy more or less important than covering your hides over technicalities in the rules.
How paranoid is your con's legal department about losing non-profit status due to insufficient focus on its stated mission (and how Japan-centric is that mission)? Because I can see that causing a problem with implementing such a loosening of the rules.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:58 am

Scintilla wrote:
Rider4Z wrote:so you have to ask yourselves, is giving what the audience would enjoy more or less important than covering your hides over technicalities in the rules.
How paranoid is your con's legal department about losing non-profit status due to insufficient focus on its stated mission (and how Japan-centric is that mission)? Because I can see that causing a problem with implementing such a loosening of the rules.
i was referring more to editors grabbing their torches and pitchforks and mobbing down troy (and the judges) for letting one video in and not another. just me personally, but that's the kind of attitude i'm trying to fight and not let dictate my decisions. again, i don't envy you, troy.

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:39 am

I thought about another issue - I don't have a problem with the "one video per category" rule, but it seems like it leaves a huge opening for people to try to game the system, for example by submitting an action video and another action video into drama and hoping you'll re-categorize the latter. On the other hand I think you should keep on with the re-categorizing though because in the past there were way too many incorrectly placed videos and that wasn't much of an issue this year.

Return to “AMV Contests”