Project Editor Exit Survey

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Project Editor Exit Survey

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Hey everyone! Well, it's been a heck of a ride this year! :sweat:

As with every year, I usually have some sort of survey for editors/participants/viewers to fill out in order to help make the contest better in the future!

So please feel free to fill this survey out in this thread, or if you would like to answer in private, please pm it to me. Either method is fine. :)

Question #1: If you could have one major change in this contest (anything is fair game), what would it be?

Question #2: How can I improve upon the themes in future contests? Were there some that you liked/enjoyed more than others? Were there some that should just plain not exist? Is there a theme that you would like to see in a future contest?

Question #3: Did you enjoy the double blind judging (meaning not knowing who the judges were), or would you prefer open judging?

Question #4: Did you feel as though you had (a) enough time to edit (b) too much time to edit (c) not near enough time to edit.

Question #5: I would like for my deadlines to be at (a) midnight (b) noon (c) indifferent

Question #6: Were there too many threads this year to keep up with?

Question #7: Would you prefer to upload your videos via (a) FTP or (b) Online Media Hosting.

Question #8: Any general comments you would like to make can go here.

-------------------------

Thank you, and I'll see you all in October for Project Editor : Tag Team Trials!

-CodeZTM

SilverFreedoms
Org Profile

Re: Project Editor Exit Survey

Post by SilverFreedoms » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:59 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Hey everyone! Well, it's been a heck of a ride this year! :sweat:

As with every year, I usually have some sort of survey for editors/participants/viewers to fill out in order to help make the contest better in the future!

So please feel free to fill this survey out in this thread, or if you would like to answer in private, please pm it to me. Either method is fine. :)

Question #1: If you could have one major change in this contest (anything is fair game), what would it be?

Question #2: How can I improve upon the themes in future contests? Were there some that you liked/enjoyed more than others? Were there some that should just plain not exist? Is there a theme that you would like to see in a future contest?

Question #3: Did you enjoy the double blind judging (meaning not knowing who the judges were), or would you prefer open judging?

Question #4: Did you feel as though you had (a) enough time to edit (b) too much time to edit (c) not near enough time to edit.

Question #5: I would like for my deadlines to be at (a) midnight (b) noon (c) indifferent

Question #7: Would you prefer to upload your videos via (a) FTP or (b) Online Media Hosting.

-------------------------

Thank you, and I'll see you all in October for Project Editor : Tag Team Trials!

-CodeZTM
1.) Prompt judging 'trollface.jpg'
2.) I quite enjoyed the ones i did.
3.) I imagine I would have pestered them somewhat if I had known. 'Judge Faster !'
4.) I took the lack of time as an exercise in doing amv's quickly.
5.) I would prefer noon. But make sure you keep up with your own deadlines
6.) Not really.
7.) Online Media Hosting
8.) Good job =D I still can not beleive I made it as far as I did.
Imaget had to be said: the world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrifice.

in Ayn Rand's _The Fountainhead

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:55 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Question #1: If you could have one major change in this contest (anything is fair game), what would it be?
CHANGE THE COORDINATOR! xD Kidding, you were awesome!
CodeZTM wrote:Question #2: How can I improve upon the themes in future contests? Were there some that you liked/enjoyed more than others? Were there some that should just plain not exist? Is there a theme that you would like to see in a future contest?
Something to improve on in terms of themes would be to stick to your rules :P If your theme is to use a song from the 80s, don't be so lenient and let people use covers, that's lame. Also, as siny said in another thread, some of the themes felt too similar, like Nature's Wrath and the Clow cards rounds, and the last two rounds where we were supposed to remake videos.

There shouldn't be a theme that was the same thing from the last contest. Keep it fresh! The whole reason why we join these contests is for the cool themes, so try and think up some interesting stuff! I really liked the seven deadly sins round from last year, and the villian theme from this year.
CodeZTM wrote:Question #3: Did you enjoy the double blind judging (meaning not knowing who the judges were), or would you prefer open judging?
I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't mind that much at the same time.
CodeZTM wrote:Question #4: Did you feel as though you had (a) enough time to edit (b) too much time to edit (c) not near enough time to edit.
A. The amount of time that we had to edit was fine. The only thing that really didn't work was the overlapping contests, but that's just the contestants being crazy and joining both :P Though a few more days between rounds would be better I think.
CodeZTM wrote:Question #5: I would like for my deadlines to be at (a) midnight (b) noon (c) indifferent
I'm indifferent. That should be a choice on your preference.
CodeZTM wrote:Question #6: Were there too many threads this year to keep up with?
I think that's what you should be thinking, since you barely updated the calendar :P
Only in the beginning is where some stuff was confusing. I think it's better to have all the rules, judges' scoring criteria, and all that stuff just in one thread instead of several. The three threads per round were fine.
CodeZTM wrote:Question #7: Would you prefer to upload your videos via (a) FTP or (b) Online Media Hosting.
Online hosting is better for me, just because I like to have my AMVs in a download folder on mediafire for organization's sake.
CodeZTM wrote:Question #8: Any general comments you would like to make can go here.
Give longer days of judging please. It's irks me when I see missing comments and typo'd scores, and when the comments themselves feel short and rushed. I'd rather have a well thought out score and a comment that can help the editor improve than quicker results.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 pm

CodeZTM wrote: Question #1: If you could have one major change in this contest (anything is fair game), what would it be?
Different judging/scoring system
I don't like the source restriction rounds. I.E the 80s round. I just don't find them as a fun.
I would like to see a Fan-Service theme.
Open judging
A
A
Nope
Either works. Or portals work as well.
They should've drink that kool-aid.
-CodeZTM
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm taking this survey as a judge that might join as a contestant next year

I think that the judging period should start at 7 days for round 1, and decrease by a day for each round afterwards. This gives the judges plenty of time to judge during the rounds where there are a lot of videos. This also gives the editors a break in between round. Round 1: 7 days of judging, Round 2: 6 days of judging, Round 3: 5 days of judging......Round 6: 2 days of judging

I really liked the nature theme in round 1. I was skeptical about the the CS theme in round 2, but it worked out much better than I expected. I didn't really like round 3 theme's of limiting music selection though. Round 4 villain theme was great. Round 5 was awesome (I think that every org editor should have a re-creation round). And I didn't like round 6 because I feel that it is too limiting, and it could have put someone at a huge disadvantage by forcing them to edit a certain song. (Their first AMV could had a absolutely terrible song)

Yeah, I liked the blind judging because it allows the judges to judge without bias or fear of backlash. Also, it prevents people from pandering to the judges

(a) I feel that the length of each round should stay at 7 days, but the judging period should be extended.

(a) midnight deadlines just feel so natural

There were the perfect number of threads.

(b) online media hosting like sendspace is perfect

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:55 pm

I'd increase the judging time (to maybe a week), for several reasons. First, it gives the judges plenty of time to watch, evaluate, and comment on each video. Second, it gives you (Code) more time to space out the video releases instead of dumping 90% of them the day after the due date (which in turn gives viewers/contestants more time to watch said videos). Third, this gives the contestants a bit more downtime between editing which I would prefer instead of longer editing time. Finally, with a longer time to judge, it should be easier to have a firm date/time for announcing the results and less delays.

The themes were fine on their own, I would have just changed the order. First we had the elements (a pretty broad category) right next to another, even more broad one (Clow cards, which was so broad that it enveloped the entire previous category), then two recreate rounds right next to one another.

A theme idea for next time might to be to make an AMV using anime from a certain studio.

The blind judging works very well so that the judges can be brutally honest (after all, that's what the Org's known for) in their evaluation. We didn't have the drama that happened in the Quickening :sweat: but even so, I'd hate to have the judges pull their punches because their names were being attached to the comments.

The editing timeframe was perfect.

Midnight.

A little bit, yea; having three threads per round seems a little excessive.

Online hosting; the thought of 90% of the contestants hammering an FTP server 10 minutes before the deadline scares me.

Overall POE was a lot of fun; this is the first time I've done a contest like this so the whole experience was new but I had a blast. Got to see a ton of great videos and cranked out a couple of my own. I wasn't expecting to make it out of the first round so |:>.
Image Image

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Rendakor wrote:The blind judging works very well so that the judges can be brutally honest (after all, that's what the Org's known for) in their evaluation. We didn't have the drama that happened in the Quickening :sweat: but even so, I'd hate to have the judges pull their punches because their names were being attached to the comments.
Yue only posted the judge's comments once and those comments were blind (until after said "drama" when the judge in question outed himself), so whether or not you know who said what, there can still be drama. :uhoh:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Aeniara
Org Profile

Post by Aeniara » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:15 am

A bigger break between each round would be perfect. And the judges would also have more time to do their work, because let's face it, judging 40+ videos in 2 days sounds like a job for a superhero.
I really liked the CCS theme. It was original, even though it seemed kind of similar to round 1, but it worked out really well, I saw great videos coming out of it, it was definitely one of my favorites. But let's not forget the villains! That was the best round, in my opinion :) On the other hand, that the last 2 rounds were repetitive. It's great to have a remake round, but just once.
Yes, an unbiased opinion is always better, and not knowing who the judges were has probably avoided some drama.
a) Enough time to edit. Well, it was hard to finish the videos on time, but that's the challenge, right? 7-8 days are perfect.
Noon. Because that makes it 6PM here, it's much more comfortable to finish the last details at that hour ;p
No, not at all!
It doesn't really make a difference for me.
As much as I complained for being tired and busy, I loved the experience. I thought that I would want to take a break, but my brain is full of ideas, and I can't wait to practice what I learned during these weeks. It was amazing to see how everyone helped each other, beta testing and giving tips... Even when one of us had a problem with our computers or clips, there was always someone trying to give us suggestions on how we could solve it, it was really nice :D I never thought that my first contest at the org would be so fun. Now I can't wait for the Tag Team Trials!

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:27 am

The biggest thing that bothered me in this contest is that it was predictable as hell.
I lost interest in it after 3rd round, ranking was almost the same one every time, like if it wasn't blind, how come? :/

Edit : also something concerning both POE and Quickening but in POE it's Code's "fault" while it's not Yue's one in Quickening
It was really annoying that people (including me) had to edit with songs used in well known AMVs, I'm not even talking of the part with VCAs/JCAs stuff which was a very bad idea imho. For example, actually, despite I was sad at first that I didn't have time to edit for round 2 of quickening (even if I already knew Eden Awakening), I was just happy in the end 'cause I already knew This is (Randomness) at this moment (though, here I don't blame the editor who sent Madeon's song since Creed's vid wasn't released yet)

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:50 pm

MimS wrote:It was really annoying that people (including me) had to edit with songs used in well known AMVs)
I don't see your point.

Just because there are good videos with these songs doesn't mean anything. There are always people who see a different concept in a song than what other editors do. It provides a new take on a song, and it doesn't hurt to have more awesome videos with different concepts using the same song!

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 2”