Sakamichi no Apollon ─ Kids on the Slope

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Re: Sakamichi no Apollon ─ Kids on the Slope

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:07 pm

I really...
Spoiler :
felt like the ending was a cop-out. I really liked these characters, all of them, and to just sortof...timeskip the whole thing and go "here's what happened to everyone, and it wasn't particularly interesting" kinda makes me rage a little. I suppose it does reflect real life quite a bit, the way you just kind of lose track of friends sometimes, but I felt like the show built the characters up for a great big payoff and then didn't quite do it. Overall I did enjoy the show quite a bit though.

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:43 pm

AimoAio wrote:
Emong wrote:
Spoiler :
For example was there any other reason for Sentaro going missing than to somehow turn the ending into a nostalgic reunion? Felt more like an empty plot device than a genuine resolution to the story.
Spoiler :
I thought that was because he felt guilty for the accident and couldn't really face his family considering he only just started getting along slightly better with his foster father.
Spoiler :
Of course, the show itself always provides a reason for a certain plot twist but it doesn't make it any less artificial. It just felt like the author went like "Hey, you know what be a cool way to end the series? A nostalgic reunion! Now I only need to invent some lameass excuse of a plot twist to make it happen..."

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Emong wrote:
Spoiler :
Of course, the show itself always provides a reason for a certain plot twist but it doesn't make it any less artificial. It just felt like the author went like "Hey, you know what be a cool way to end the series? A nostalgic reunion! Now I only need to invent some lameass excuse of a plot twist to make it happen..."
Spoiler :
True. When I got to that section, I was really bewildered. Because he was trying to chase after Kaoru because he left something, so where did the random bike come from? And where did his sister come from all of a sudden? But I guess now that I think a bit about it, I forgot the music shop was right next to their house so it does make sense, just not shown very explicitly so it left me going "huh...?" for a while. :|

evangelibuns
Org Profile

Post by evangelibuns » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:43 pm

I enjoyed it most of the way through, but now that it's over I can't help but feel it was somewhat forgettable.

All the musical numbers were terrific. The series peaked around episode 7, that one was very good.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”